tours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miko22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had an suggestions on what to do on a tour of the dental school. Is it just a tour or will the student giving the tour leave any input? What kind of dress is recommended? I know these are lame questions, but I don't know a thing about any of this stuff. Thanks!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well the tour is usually following or preceding a dental school interview so I would wear a suit. However, if if the school allows you to visit without having an interview invite, then I recommend just dressing casual but no jeans, maybe like khaki pants? I also recommend asking the tour guide some questions because you never know. Some dental schools have a student that is on their panel.

I went on a tour at VCU a few years ago. Everyone dressed casually (but no jeans), as D2B said. First we went into a conference room to meet with the dean of admissions. He showed us two applicant folders, an example of a student who would probably get in and one who probably wouldn't. Then we visited a lab, a clinic, a pediatric clinic, a classroom, the cafeteria, etc. If I remember correctly, the dean led the tour, but we spoke with a few students in the lab who gave us their input. We didn't get to see students at work because we visited on a day where everyone was taking a test (the boards, I believe?). It was a very casual and informative experience. But if you're touring around the time of an interview, I would dress up a bit more. Hope that helps. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I was considering wearing jeans (the secretary said casual) but I will definitely rethink that idea! My understanding was that it was just a current student giving the tour. I'm not really sure besides that! Is there anything else you can think of that I should do? I really appreciate your input on this! :D

Trookie said:
He showed us two applicant folders, an example of a student who would probably get in and one who probably wouldn't.

He didn't happen to mention any names did he?

j/k

Hey I wanted to tell yall thanks again. It turned out the student who was supposed to give the tour couldnt' do it and the Dean of Admissions gave the tour instead! So I'm really glad I dressed up. Thanks guys!