Touro NY(Class of 2013) Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really appreciate you share this information with us. I tried to call Dr.GP but her mailbox is full. Who else do you think I should contact or who did you contact besides Dr.GP to inquire information?

no problem. SDN forums and members have helped me a lot throughout the last 3 years. It's only fair that I give back and help those who need it the most.

Besides calling Dr.G-P, you can try this number:

212/851-1192, ext 2532

The name of the lady who answered the phone today was Mary. Mary was very helpful.

In addition, If anyone is thinking about Financial Aid like I am. And just in case you forgot the telephone number. You need to contact Trevor Jackman at:

Telephone: (646) 981 4554

Fax #: (212) 678 1784

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what are you guys doing with your car if you have one?

sell it. I've got a 330i. I'd like to let it sit for four years, but I don't want to pay property taxes...

I'm planning on buying a laptop for pharmacy school.

Does anyone know if Touro prefers their students get a MAC or PC?

I'm leaning towards getting a Mac Book...I really like the improvements made on the recent model.

I'd get the mac. you ca get a discount for being a student. also, all macbooks (and all macs with intel processors) can run windows, and even do it natively.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted as well! It still hasnt sunk in!!!
Congrats to all as well, the long wait definately paid of!

I'm planning on buying a laptop for pharmacy school.

Does anyone know if Touro prefers their students get a MAC or PC?

I'm leaning towards getting a Mac Book...I really like the improvements made on the recent model.

I asked the faculty about that and they said either will do because they don't have a laptop requirement yet. If we need any software they will purchase it or offer it at a discounted price.

I hope a MacBook is okay, once you go mac, you don't look back! lol j/k... but yes, I do hope it's okay.

A few students use Macs, most use PC. It doesn't really matter, the professors use Powerpoint, if you can run that in Mac that's fine. I personally prefer PCs for gaming capabilities and options but a few people have told me that I can get a Mac and dual-run a Windows and Mac OS.

Car wise, I drive my Volkswagen CC Sport to school and back every day. I really prefer this method to taking the subway and LIRR because for the subway and LIRR, I have to wake up about 1 hour earlier than I do for the car method.

To get to Touro on time for a 9AM class, I have to catch the 7:33AM train from Mineola. That means I gotta leave my house by 7:10AM to get to the train station in time, that means I gotta wake up at 6AM to get ready.

For driving, I wake up between 7AM-730AM, get ready, and leave the house around 8AM, yes I get into the classroom earlier by train because I don't have to wait until 9AM to park my car. (Around Touro, street cleaning is between 8AM-9AM, once it's 9AM it's safe to park your car without fear of getting a ticket.)

Ok so does anyone know how much we have to pay Touro before we actually start classes? I remember Dr. G-patterson told us that we would have already paid 1/2 of our year's tuition before we actually start classes..is that true?

Also, on the acceptance letter she said that there will be 2 more deposits and other info. I just want to know all this before hand because my dad is loaning me some money and i need to give him the exact amount.

p.s. all this is making me so nervous..yet soo excited!!

Cant wait to meet you all in person!

Dude, keep the 330i. I need someone with a decent car to drag race with.

hah. I can't hang, people in NY drive crazy, all of them. I'm from the midwest.

Did anyone get a response back after you emailed accepting the offer?

Also, does anyone know the school code for fafsa or should i just call the number they gave at the interview?

I'm in too!
So this is where everyone congregates...
I've been numb and speechless all by myself since 3/31

Where do the drivers among us plan to park while in class?
Lot/Garage/Street?

I'm really looking forward to it!
There's only 80 of us, so I hope we can be an awesome, tight-knit class!!!

Can we say "mutual symbiosis?" :laugh:

I emailed and I did not get a response..I'm planning to hand in my deposit personally and check out the campus in more detail since I didn't really get the chance to do it the first time around..

Anyone from tristate area? Theres seems to be a lot of out of state acceptances especially the west-coast..

Anyone here from the first interview; March 2nd, 9am? The day of the snow storm?

Congrats class of 2013..Looking forward to meeting you all..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in too!

Lot/Garage/Street?

Where you park depends on what kind of car you have. Generally, you want to find free street parking in a safe area but its a little hard.

Usually, I park right in front of the school. It is metered parking and I have to go downstairs every hour to add money. If I can't find street parking, I go to a lot where it's $10 for the early bird special. (Arrive 6AM-10AM, leave by 6PM).

Did anyone get a response back after you emailed accepting the offer?

Also, does anyone know the school code for fafsa or should i just call the number they gave at the interview?

After accepting the offer, I have yet to receive a response.

The school code for fafsa: (correct me if I'm wrong)

TOURO COLLEGE
27-33 WEST 23RD STREET
NEW YORK
Federal School Code: 010142

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/FSLookupServlet;jsessionid=0001tfwpOCmpmaGqSaxOIcGvqD0:11efeulv5

After accepting the offer, I have yet to receive a response.

The school code for fafsa: (correct me if I'm wrong)

TOURO COLLEGE
27-33 WEST 23RD STREET
NEW YORK

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/FSLookupServlet;jsessionid=0001tfwpOCmpmaGqSaxOIcGvqD0:11efeulv5

Thanks Transformer! you are very helpful! :) Also, I am ACCEPTED! YEAH!!!! Class 2013!!! haha. Congrats to everyone that is going to be apart of this expedition! Funny that the letter came on April 1st, no one believed me that i got accepted! haha.

I'm in too!

Lot/Garage/Street?

MUTUAL SYMBIOSIS...haha.. I can't agree more. Hope to see you there!

Hey, does anyone know if there is a FACEBOOK for Touro class of 2013? I don't use it much and can't find it...

Plane ticket = $380
Hotel = $97
Taxi = $80
Pizza and wings at 11:55p.m = $20
Acceptance letter on April 1st where no one believe you = priceless!

:thumbup::D:thumbup: Again, Congratulations!

nah no facebook group for 2013... you can create one!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Well done clvcl! :thumbup:
Great feeling, isn't it? :D

:confused: did anyone find out when school starts yet?

i came on just to see if anyone started a facebook group. i just spent way too long trying to navigate fb looking for the link to create a group and i can't let that go to waste so....i'll set it up :)

ps. new facebook layout sucks.

can't wait to meet all of you!

Alright who's in charge of calling the school and getting all the info and post it on SDN or FB? :) I just don't want to bother them with the same questions, it would make it stressful for the advisors/secretary. If there's no reply by Monday night, I'll call Tuesday and get all the info.

Well done clvcl! :thumbup:
Great feeling, isn't it? :D

Yes, it was a great feeling..I don't have to worry about not getting accepted into other schools! But yeah, I was as speechless as you. Next thing is to find apartments, that's gonna be troublesome. Know where you are going to stay yet?

My friend and I might get a place 2bed/2bath apt in Jersey City by the Grove station. If so, I'd be taking the the PATH into the city, then the D train to 125th St. The commute is gonna be between 40 and 50 mins. My other option is to find a share in Harlem/Morningside Heights area close to school. Still undecided...
Not being able to drive sucks big time!

My friend and I might get a place 2bed/2bath apt in Jersey City by the Grove station. If so, I'd be taking the the PATH into the city, then the D train to 125th St. The commute is gonna be between 40 and 50 mins. My other option is to find a share in Harlem/Morningside Heights area close to school. Still undecided...

Come on people, be brave and keep your cars. Stay in control of your commute!

Thanks Transformer! you are very helpful! :) Also, I am ACCEPTED! YEAH!!!! Class 2013!!! haha. Congrats to everyone that is going to be apart of this expedition! Funny that the letter came on April 1st, no one believed me that i got accepted! haha.

I'm not sure if that is the correct FAFSA code. Call up the guy that Dr.G-P gave you information for at the interview. I think the correct code is for the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine. Please double check that.

I'm not sure if that is the correct FAFSA code. Call up the guy that Dr.G-P gave you information for at the interview. I think the correct code is for the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine. Please double check that.

when I searched on fafsa, it just said touro college ny.

On PharmCAS it says school starts on September 1st and orientation is the last week of August.

Hey... I'll be commuting from Jersey City too. I'll be getting the path from Pavonia into the city and then the D line to 125th...:) Its really not too bad of a commute, and I love the Newport area, its pretty safe around there too. Let me know if you do decide on Jersey...might bump into you on the way to school! Ha!

Onehot, I was also at the March 2nd, 9am interview :) Congrats to both of us getting in...yay! My name is Liz btw :)

And Congrats to all of us getting in!! I am very interested in finding people to live with as well..I'm planning on moving early-mid August from Chicago :X I've been checkin Craigslist and am a *little shocked w/apartment prices...All worth it though! =)

Yeah I think rommates is the way to go..I will be looking for some after I get everything figure out and how I will finance my schooling. Should we look for apartments early? like may and june?

This is a questions to the current students...

Do you feel like you are able to have a life in the midst of all your school work? I know living in Manhattan could be very fun and all, but do you think being a professional student takes away from the fun of living in the big apple?

Were you guys lonely in the first year or so (considering you were the first class)?

How is the faculty planning on structuring the program's emphasis on clinical pharmacy? It is important to me as a student pharmacist to know I have the option to receive a strong background in not only retail, but clinical pharmacy as well. I cannot deny the fact that Touro being a VERY young program gives me some concern about providing a strong curriculum geared towards producing a well rounded pharmacy class. I mean, I understand the faculty is indeed experienced and have taught at other institutions. Unfortunately, it is hard to find the answer to this question when the school hasnt had a graduating class yet. Any thoughts?

Lastly... what do you guys would like to improve about the program?

Onehot, I was also at the March 2nd, 9am interview :) Congrats to both of us getting in...yay! My name is Liz btw :)

And Congrats to all of us getting in!! I am very interested in finding people to live with as well..I'm planning on moving early-mid August from Chicago :X I've been checkin Craigslist and am a *little shocked w/apartment prices...All worth it though! =)

Hi Liz;

I spoke with some of the other candidates before the interview and I don't remember any candidates from Chicago..I met one from Cali, other was from NY, NC, etc..Were you one of the candidates that walked in a little late because of the weather? I was the tall oriental guy that sat in the middle with yellow tie and black suit..Congrats on getting in! Hope to meet you all soon.

-Dennis

Hi Liz;

I spoke with some of the other candidates before the interview and I don't remember any candidates from Chicago..I met one from Cali, other was from NY, NC, etc..Were you one of the candidates that walked in a little late because of the weather? I was the tall oriental guy that sat in the middle with yellow tie and black suit..Congrats on getting in! Hope to meet you all soon.

-Dennis

Hey, yes I remember you Dennis! I wasn't the girl that came in late, I was the blonde girl with the grey pinstripe suit, I sat at the end of the table. Nice...now, I officially know one person from our class, yay!! :) Just the first of many..Did they officially accept 88 people like they said on Pharmcas? We are ALL gonna know each other really quickly...seeing as how we're all supposed to be in the exact same classes! :laugh:

has anyone received a response from dr GP regarding their acceptance?

This is a questions to the current students...

Do you feel like you are able to have a life in the midst of all your school work? I know living in Manhattan could be very fun and all, but do you think being a professional student takes away from the fun of living in the big apple?

Were you guys lonely in the first year or so (considering you were the first class)?

How is the faculty planning on structuring the program's emphasis on clinical pharmacy? It is important to me as a student pharmacist to know I have the option to receive a strong background in not only retail, but clinical pharmacy as well. I cannot deny the fact that Touro being a VERY young program gives me some concern about providing a strong curriculum geared towards producing a well rounded pharmacy class. I mean, I understand the faculty is indeed experienced and have taught at other institutions. Unfortunately, it is hard to find the answer to this question when the school hasnt had a graduating class yet. Any thoughts?

Lastly... what do you guys would like to improve about the program?

Yeah, we get to have fun as well as study. We weren't able to start a students activities thing yet but I'm sure we will at the end of this year beginning of next year.

We were invited to a few events held by the Touro NY College of Osteopathic Medicine.

I've lived in NYC/Suburbs all my life, and it's pretty fun, I actually think that Queens is more fun than Manhattan.

Curriculum wise, personally IMO the curriculum is more geared towards clinical pharmacy and public health than retail pharmacy.

Hi all,

I called and confirmed with Trevor Jackman regarding the school code for FAFSA. It is indeed:

TOURO COLLEGE
27-33 WEST 23RD STREET
NEW YORK

He said this is the address for the main campus.

Hi all,

I called and confirmed with Trevor Jackman regarding the school code for FAFSA. It is indeed:

TOURO COLLEGE
27-33 WEST 23RD STREET
NEW YORK

He said this is the address for the main campus.

thanks.

I just called him too.

He said the maximum stafford subsidized loan we can get is $8,500
maximum unsubsidized loan will be $24,500

Adding those two figures together, it would be $33,000

Any additional loans will come out of Graduate plus loans or private loans

He also said complete your fafsa now and he will send us another email on what to do next in a week.

Sparda, i think i know who you are! if you were one of the 3 p1 students greeting us interviewees on monday march 9! if it was you, then that's cool. i really had a fun time "hanging out" with you guys and i gotta say i love Dr. G-P personalities. she is hillarious!!!!

congrats to all of you who get accepted :D and gluck to those still waiting. i also got my acceptance email a couple of days ago. im still deciding whether i should go to touro because the deposit money is 2000 on top of the other 2 payments required before school starts. that's a lot of money!

regarding the 2+2 curriculum but i dont know if the school is going to prepare me well enough for me to be on my own after 2 years. to sparda or any current students, what do you think about the faculty and the school's curriculum? are you well taught and well prepared and are happy attending the school?? thanks in advance for your response =)

Last edited:
Has anyone found out what the other deposits are that are mentioned in the acceptance letter? If not, I will call to find out. I assume that these deposits would be made over the summer and will not be able to come from our loans?

Has anyone found out what the other deposits are that are mentioned in the acceptance letter? If not, I will call to find out. I assume that these deposits would be made over the summer and will not be able to come from our loans?

Call and let us know. I think you're right though, the Deposits will probably be made over the Summer. I was thinking, since most of us will probably have to get another loan for housing/food/drink, of using that for the rest of for the deposits. Maybe i'm wrong.

regarding 2 future deposits:

Dr. G-P said: "the other two deposits will be due in spring and early summer, around the first week in June and the middle of July."

She did not specifiy amounts, but rumor is that they will be 2k each as well. Someone please call and clarify. Thanks!

regarding 2 future deposits:

Dr. G-P said: "the other two deposits will be due in spring and early summer, around the first week in June and the middle of July."

She did not specifiy amounts, but rumor is that they will be 2k each as well. Someone please call and clarify. Thanks!

At my interview day, Dr. G-P specifically said each deposit will be 2k each and Mary, the lady at Touro confirmed this. So it's not a rumor. A total of 6k will be due before classes start.

How are you guys planning on paying the 6k before federal aid kicks in??