Touro MS program Middletown/Harlem NY 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yggdrasilver101

Reaction score
Good day e1,
I've got accepted to the Touro MS program at Middleton but am somewhat apprehensive based on reviews of the prior years.

Does anyone have any data regarding students' results for the 2021-2022 year? or the years prior. (how many students matriculated to Touro DO program, other DOs or MD programs etc)\
Thank you kindly

Members don't see this ad.

current MS, not sure how this year will turn out with numbers, but about half the class gets in. Just know that everyone in your class will be very smart, so since its graded on a curve you have to be willing to work harder than all of your classmates.

Good day e1,
I've got accepted to the Touro MS program at Middleton but am somewhat apprehensive based on reviews of the prior years.

Does anyone have any data regarding students' results for the 2021-2022 year? or the years prior. (how many students matriculated to Touro DO program, other DOs or MD programs etc)\
Thank you kindly
Congrats!! I just got an interview invite to Middletown. Would you be willing to speak about your interview experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
current MS, not sure how this year will turn out with numbers, but about half the class gets in. Just know that everyone in your class will be very smart, so since its graded on a curve you have to be willing to work harder than all of your classmates.
please keep me posted, Im still deciding between schools, including NYMC 2 years MS program. But still leaning toward touro atm due to the guarantee acceptance d agreement

Congrats!! I just got an interview invite to Middletown. Would you be willing to speak about your interview experience?
Sure thing, so you have a specific question? Or just want me to talk about generalities?

Honestly the guarantee acceptance is the reason i choose Touro over other schools. I have the GPA to get in next year so it worked out for me, but it was a lot of work.

Reactions: 1 user
What to expect and how long after did you hear back? And whatever else you'd like to share. Thanks @yggdrasilver101!
My interview included:
- discussed my GPA deficiencies
- discussed FLIP style classroom
- an ethic question like that of CASPR
- why the program fit me
- question regard how u can help underserve community
- other standard interview questions that I can't recall

Waited 2 weeks for response

Last edited:
My interview included:
- discussed my GPA deficiencies
- discussed FLIP style classroom
- an ethic question like that of CASPR
- why the program fit me
- question regard how u can help underserve community
- other standard interview questions that I can't recall

Waited 2 weeks for response
I actually had my interview yesterday morning before seeing this. Mine also included academic deficiencies and an ethical question, as well as the rigors of the program and more about the community environment in general.

Thanks for the info anyway! I'm sure this will help other applicants.

I was accepted to Harlem’s Master program! Excited to meet the rest of you that will be part of this upcoming class

Just got my acceptance to the Harlem campus!! Any Facebook group for the incoming class?

I just got into touro Middletown MS too! What is this program usually like? Is there a good support system?

Reactions: 2 users
yeah for the most part, you can DM and I'll answer any question about Middletown to the best of my ability

Members don't see this ad :)
Current 1st year at Harlem (former masters). If you type in TouroCOM Harlem Masters 2023, you'll get the SGA run page. Any announcement will be posted onto that page.

Hi everyone I just submitted my application 5/15/22 do yall think ill even be considered 😪

As long as it was before the deadline you should be fine. I’m not sure about Harlem but we had around 65 at the start at Middletown

As long as it was before the deadline you should be fine. I’m not sure about Harlem but we had around 65 at the start at Middletown
I submitted it on 11:59pm as on the postbac app it said "This program was paid for on Sunday, 15 May 2022 11:59 PM"

Could always contact the schools admission office to make sure they received it. They are usually really nice

I am a former MS student from that program. Although I got in, I would NEVER do this program. Wish I never did it. Would've rather have spent my money elsewhere doing a normal post-bac/masters at another school. Message me if you want to know how the program really is. I can tell you the real deal, the pros and cons, but cons outweigh the pros.

I can 100% say that without this program I would not have gotten into med school. Not going in to my history but touro master’s>>>>>> any other SMP or “normal master’s” if you really want to go to med school. I will say if you don’t want to put in the effort or if you want to make friends with everyone this is definitely not the place to be. Your “ real deal” and my experience probably contrast on many issues.

if you’re going to bash the program do it in the openly and not in DM’s. There most likely are somethings that I would agree with. I’ll even start.
Pro’s
Those that put in the work get a seat into medschool, it really is a equal playing field ( this is honestly worth a 1000 reasons to go)
You are almost guaranteed to be top half of your first year of med school because well you did it twice, so first year will be a cake walk.
This one sounds weird but it in the US. This was my last try before I went Caribbean or gave up on my dream. It gave me a chance to proof what I could do.

Cons
The sheer amount of time you have to study because it’s grade on a curve. I did well on every exam. This took a lot of work and alot of weekends but I never had to worry about not getting in
The cliques that form. This is definitely because of the grading curve and I’ll say I’m guilty of this. But also I would spend so much time studying with my group, why would I go teach someone who barely started studying when we we’re 20+ hours into questions. We all have the same hours in the day use them wisely
Mandatory classes for master’s. Not going to lie I never really paid attention in class so they were a time sink. I just did anki or study a question bank during class most of the time.

Edit: It’s hard to say these are cons really except the mandatory class. The other two are more about mind set. I walked in with the mind set of getting the grade, and not caring about making friends, but ended up make a few very good friends during the year. People that I’m going to enjoy going through med school with.

Last edited:
Considering I’m a NY’er, this was the only program that guaranteed admission into the medical program if I proved myself. It’s going to be hard, because medical school is hard. The program director called me himself to discuss my application and my dreams. He gave me the harsh reality of what a rigorous curriculum this program has and there’s no room for do-overs. I think as long as I put in the work, I can live the first step to becoming a doctor. Sure there are other masters programs out there, but do many of them actually deliver on the promise of admission to the medical program. I’m investing my money into this program because I know there is a written and verbal guarantee into the medical program. Many others give promises for maybe an interview, which leaves a lot of room for uncertainty. If you can’t make it in this program, then maybe one should reconsider becoming a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
So I just wanted to chime in on this. As I said up above, I am a current 1st year (about to be done in a week lol) and a former master. My story is similar to a lot of my former masters classmates in that my stats weren’t going to get me into medical school in the traditional way. In fact, if this program didn’t work, I was ready to give up. However, when I got, I knew I needed to give more effort into this than I ever had in anything in the past. That hard work got me a path forward in my dream and for that, I’ll be forever grateful for this program. Now would I recommend it? Yes, but with some caveat. This masters program is like many other SMP out there in that it’s a high reward high risk thing to do except that this reward unlike many other is the promise of a acceptance. It requires u to give it the same respect (and more) that u would give to a medical school. I mean u’re literally taking the same courses. I think that’s where it gets people. They treat it as if it was any other master program and get a dose of reality when the exams hit. If you’re willing to work hard and smart (find a method of studying that is right for you), you’re going to have success.

I am a former MS student from that program. Although I got in, I would NEVER do this program. Wish I never did it. Would've rather have spent my money elsewhere doing a normal post-bac/masters at another school. Message me if you want to know how the program really is. I can tell you the real deal, the pros and cons, but cons outweigh the pros.
Can you pm me with details?

I can 100% say that without this program I would not have gotten into med school. Not going in to my history but touro master’s>>>>>> any other SMP or “normal master’s” if you really want to go to med school. I will say if you don’t want to put in the effort or if you want to make friends with everyone this is definitely not the place to be. Your “ real deal” and my experience probably contrast on many issues.

if you’re going to bash the program do it in the openly and not in DM’s. There most likely are somethings that I would agree with. I’ll even start.
Pro’s
Those that put in the work get a seat into medschool, it really is a equal playing field ( this is honestly worth a 1000 reasons to go)
You are almost guaranteed to be top half of your first year of med school because well you did it twice, so first year will be a cake walk.
This one sounds weird but it in the US. This was my last try before I went Caribbean or gave up on my dream. It gave me a chance to proof what I could do.

Cons
The sheer amount of time you have to study because it’s grade on a curve. I did well on every exam. This took a lot of work and alot of weekends but I never had to worry about not getting in
The cliques that form. This is definitely because of the grading curve and I’ll say I’m guilty of this. But also I would spend so much time studying with my group, why would I go teach someone who barely started studying when we we’re 20+ hours into questions. We all have the same hours in the day use them wisely
Mandatory classes for master’s. Not going to lie I never really paid attention in class so they were a time sink. I just did anki or study a question bank during class most of the time.

Edit: It’s hard to say these are cons really except the mandatory class. The other two are more about mind set. I walked in with the mind set of getting the grade, and not caring about making friends, but ended up make a few very good friends during the year. People that I’m going to enjoy going through med school with.
What you are failing to realize is that it's not half the class that gets in. It's only 30%, you can put in the work and still not get the grade because of how the class is graded on a curve, something they don't tell you till orientation. Another thing you seem very ignorant of is what happens to the students (~66%) who didnt make it in are and are now $60K + in debt with no job prospect, this degree is absolutely useless unless you directly matriculate. They don't prepare you at all for the "what if you don't make it" part like how all the other post-bacc and masters programs do.

I actually have no shame bashing the program openly, like I said I know there are pros to it but the cons outweigh the pro.

They told me about the numbers and grading curve in the interview. 20 to 25 normally make the gpa, they take some from aacomas that were close but that’s no guarantee. Honestly the people the continuously make below 75ish, made a mistake for sure. If you can’t make in it the master’s you probably weren’t going to have a good time in med school.
I think there are a number of jobs or other school they are pretty qualified far after this program.

Schools
Pharm
PA
Accelerated nurse practitioner
Podiatrist
OT
PT
Chiropractic
Basic science PHD
Anesthesiology assistant( should strongly look at that one)
Perfusion school

Job wise
Teach at a Community college
Research scientist
Manager at a plasma donation center ( only requires a master in anything and makes stupid money)
I know of one good clinical job you can get with this master that pays 6 figures after a few years( not posting it since it would definitely tell you who I am) but if your friends that didn’t make it, need an idea feel free to DM me.

By the way not ignorant on the fact of what happens if you don’t get in to medical school. I went through a different SMP as well and had nearly a 4.0. A bunch of interviews later all of the other med schools couldn’t look passed my undergrad gpa and MCAT. Took a job making pretty good money for a few years with my “useless masters”. Didn’t want to give up on my dream, shallowed my pride and did this master’s since it had a direct admit opportunity.

Edit: Also other post bac and SMP don’t prepare you. You have to find your own way. Schools only care about you as long as you are giving them Tuition money and that’s all schools.

Last edited:
They told me about the numbers and grading curve in the interview. 20 to 25 normally make the gpa, they take some from aacomas that were close but that’s no guarantee. Honestly the people the continuously make below 75ish, made a mistake for sure. If you can’t make in it the master’s you probably weren’t going to have a good time in med school.
I think there are a number of jobs or other school they are pretty qualified far after this program.

Schools
Pharm
PA
Accelerated nurse practitioner
Podiatrist
OT
PT
Chiropractic
Basic science PHD
Anesthesiology assistant( should strongly look at that one)
Perfusion school

Job wise
Teach at a Community college
Research scientist
Manager at a plasma donation center ( only requires a master in anything and makes stupid money)
I know of one good clinical job you can get with this master that pays 6 figures after a few years( not posting it since it would definitely tell you who I am) but if your friends that didn’t make it, need an idea feel free to DM me.

By the way not ignorant on the fact of what happens if you don’t get in to medical school. I went through a different SMP as well and had nearly a 4.0. A bunch of interviews later all of the other med schools couldn’t look passed my undergrad gpa and MCAT. Took a job making pretty good money for a few years with my “useless masters”. Didn’t want to give up on my dream, shallowed my pride and did this master’s since it had a direct admit opportunity.

Edit: Also other post bac and SMP don’t prepare you. You have to find your own way. Schools only care about you as long as you are giving them Tuition money and that’s all schools.
An SMP isn't needed to qualify for any of the bolded

The jobs you listed are also questionable. The bar to becoming a community college teacher is very low. Research scientist jobs almost always require a more useful science masters. I'm a non-trad and have never seen anyone become a manager of anything right from school. That leaves us with the one good clinical job you know that pays well enough to pay off loans from this masters

Last edited:
Have friends that did all of the above jobs. Of course there is training involved in any job. That would be foolish the assume other wise. It’s a science degree not a technical degree that gives you a license at the end. And yeah you are correct. SMP isn’t required for med school either but here we are. Those school could be easier to get into with the SMP you know like med school. Just giving some options for those that didn’t have the success they hoped for.

Let me throw in surgical and pharmaceutical vendor. Don’t need a masters to do that either, but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to have some adv medical knowledge

Last edited:
Have friends that did all of the above jobs. Of course there is training involved in any job. That would be foolish the assume other wise. It’s a science degree not a technical degree that gives you a license at the end. And yeah you are correct. SMP isn’t required for med school either but here we are. Those school could be easier to get into with the SMP you know like med school. Just giving some options for those that didn’t have the success they hoped for.

Well for anyone reading, feel free to search for these jobs on job search engines. This isn't a mystery and feel free to make your own conclusion about what these jobs typically require

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
By all means do your own research. Just saying it’s not a completely useless degree, but I do agree that it’s a do or die situation in any SMP. Out of curiosity what would you tell the ones that already completed the program without getting a med school seat to do?

An SMP isn't needed to qualify for any of the bolded

The jobs you listed are also questionable. The bar to becoming a community college teacher is very low. Research scientist jobs almost always require a more useful science masters. I'm a non-trad and have never seen anyone become a manager of anything right from school. That leaves us with the one good clinical job you know that pays well enough to pay off loans from this masters
Thank you. You’ve stated exactly what I would’ve said as well.

I just have a quick question, is it combined, like they do combine the two campuses and see who got the gpa cut off or separately?

Separate. About 35 or so student usually make the cut.
kinda the 35 is also including some of the previous MS students that had applied and had barely missed the cut. so there are about ~5 spots for them in the 35 spots

What are you talking about? My class (2020-2021 and now class of 2025) has 38 with everyone making the 3.45. The class before us had 40.

What are you talking about? My class (2020-2021 and now class of 2025) has 38 with everyone making the 3.45. The class before us had 40.
ummm idk what campus you are/were on but i can vouch when I say it wasnt 40 for the class before at least in middletown

That’s why it’s high risk, high reward. It’s a lower percentage than what I’ve seen from other SMP but not that much lower and most of those are guaranteed interview. Again it’s up to u whether the risk is worth it. If you have a decent GPA and MCAT, you would obviously just go the normal application route. SMP are used to correct your GPA while showing the medical school that the SMP is connected with, that you can handle medical school curriculum

i saw another post that for middletown there were 65 students in total. Does Harlem accept more?

Last edited:
i saw another post that for middletown there were 65 students in total. Does Harlem accept more?
harlem accepts more for sure. middletown is finicky. my class was 75 people. every year theyve progressively accepted more and more people.

Hey yall just got an interview invite. How was the interview like and do you think for those who were granted an interview at this time, are we most likely waitlisted?

Hey yall just got an interview invite. How was the interview like and do you think for those who were granted an interview at this time, are we most likely waitlisted?
It was pretty laid back. My interviewer asked me:
1. Why this program?
2. Have I ever experienced disparity?
3. Explain my grade deficiencies. What I learned from my mistakes?
4. What specialty I’m interested in and where do I want to practice medicine?

We had a nice conversation about being native New Yorkers. It was a lovely conversation and we went over the 30 min session. Be sure to ask questions at the end.

I’m actually kind of surprised you got an invite at this time. I thought all the acceptances were given out already. But good luck for your interview.

I just saw that the deadline extended to July 1st now for online applications.

I just saw that the deadline extended to July 1st now for online applications.

I feel like this year's class size for both campuses are going to be big

I feel like this year's class size for both campuses are going to be big
The more the merrier. More people to study with and hopefully start medical school with. 🤞
Did anyone get any update on the academic calendar and financial aid?