Touro-Mare Island vs. Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between attending Touro-Mare Island and Ross. I know that once you start practicing medicine, no one asks where you went to med school, only what kind of doctor you are. At Ross I will get an MD but at Touro I will get a DO. Both schools cost virtually the same. I read somewhere that the average Step 1 first-time passing rate for a D.O. student in 70%, whereas for a foreign medical student it is 67% (this makes it virtually the same). I guess my main concern is the chances of landing a good residency (I want to do anesthesiology--I dont care which hospital). I also realize that D.O.'s and foreign medical students have to do better on USMLE's than U.S. MD students for the same spot in residency. I was wondering if anyone else could help me decide whether to go to Touro or Ross, and if there are any other factors that I need to take into consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

this is from the FAQ:

DO or Caribbean?

This is the topic of many heated discussions over the years. The threads usually look the same and many end up in flame wars which get closed, however here is one that sums up the opinions on the DO forum rather nicely. Remember, if you ask this question on the DO forum you will get a DO biased answer, if you ask if on the FMG forum you may get different answers. In the end, it is up to you to evaluate which better suits you, DO, MD, or FMG MD.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=130591&page=1&pp=25

Definitely go and check out the CARRIBEAN forums, and you'll find out more about Ross. You've to decide which school is personally a better fit for you. Where will you be most happy? Which school do you feel more comfortable with? You have to do what you feel good about:) Try to talk to current students/graduates of both schools. I've known people who've had good experiences at both places. Other factors you may want to consider are location of schools, location of rotation sites, residency placements, etc.

If it is really not much of a concern for you as far as the schools go then just look into other factors. If you have a relationship or family and you'd like to save money..crap like that. Ross is a pretty decent school ..especially by the carib standards but there is really a wealth of information everywhere for this....you have to weigh your personal values for this kind of stuff..