Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
WOW

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is perfect for New Yorkers !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Why is there no information on it? So are they accepting applications? It said the deadline is May 31

Wow I was exploring the ADEA Dental Schools site and saw this- I don't see anything on the program on their website though?

If all is good for Touro....

October will be opening day....

So please....
If you are not from New York... Please don't apply here... I want it all for me

Reactions: 5 users
Another dental school opening? Yikes. That sucks...

Reactions: 10 users
wait so is this a legit dental school (4year program)?

It will suck for non- New Yorkers

It will suck for non- New Yorkers

It sucks for dentists. Aka all of us. More dentists = more saturation. That might be good for getting into a school, but terrible for our career.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone see a pattern here?! All the D.O. medical schools are opening up a dental program. LECOM, Nova, Western, Touro, etc etc etc

Members don't see this ad :)
wait so is this a legit dental school (4year program)?

It'll be better if it were a 3 year program...

Geez

Why does west coast gotta have that opportunity..... East coast is so much better.... New York minute for a reason

Anyone see a pattern here?! All the D.O. medical schools are opening up a dental program. LECOM, Nova, Western, Touro, etc etc etc

Yea those are about it....

Midwestern as well. There will be more in the future. Just wait.

It sucks for dentists. Aka all of us. More dentists = more saturation. That might be good for getting into a school, but terrible for our career.

Not really.....

A lot ( a majority) of the dentists in the field will be retiring in the next 10-20 years....

Along with the increase of dental care relating to the elderly and youth....

If you worried about that.... Then..... You should do some more research.

Reactions: 3 users
Yay to New Yorkers like us!
But we can't even apply there now haha

Dude relax @tooth knockn don't make such authoritative statements. The MAJORITY of dentists aren't retiring in the next 10 years. And yes, another school opening means more saturation.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a link to any actual information about this school? Seems like they are setting themselves up for a lackluster entering class if they are serious about matriculating students in 2015.

Not really.....

A lot ( a majority) of the dentists in the field will be retiring in the next 10-20 years....

Since you have done your research, care to back up your statements with sources?

I will

But not now...

I have not saved any sources....

But simply Google

Search terms:

Baby boomers
Healthcare 2030
USA population growth
Dental Healthcare disparity

I'm not a research professional....

Nor do I write non-factual statements.....

Go Touro !!!!!

Get that accreditation !!!!

Yay

http://www.iom.edu/~/media/4D5281733B5B4D55861B16AE52270C81.ashx This was from 2006 so add a few years to each age bracket. It's about 64% over age 50

Okay. Since 2006, nine dental schools have opened. Touro makes ten. I am not sure how you can argue that the opening of a dental school isn't bad for us as professionals. Sure a lot of people are retiring, and that's great. But with more and more dental schools opening those stats become less and less relevant. You might be happy and excited to get into a dental school that charges 400k right now, but when the market is saturated and you are swimming in debt you might think otherwise.

Check out what tandem7 said in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ia-first-class-will-be-enrolled-2015.1012678/

Saturated or not saturated....

Retiring or not retiring ....

These topics is like which political party is better.....

To each their own ....

At the end of the day...

In the views of a native New Yorker, who sees the saturation of dentistry in NYC and the boroughs...

An additional school to the state of New York is welcomed.....

To all OOS'ers who are complaining about too many schools and saturation crap....

Don't support this school.. How? Just don't apply here.....

Touro College....

Get that paper

We all know New York is more saturated than a methane molecule, and thats saying something.
Also retiring should not be equally correlated with fresh rookie graduates. Reason one being and apparently the most obvious, I hear people saying more jobs are gonna be available because the baby boomer generation will eventually die or retire.

Well thats great, and that is evidential most people will retire in an old age, so it is not a consistent influx and outflux of dentists, to even the playing field, but rather a huge influx of dentists and little to insignificant outflux of dentists. Leading to saturation, we might need a new word because it is becoming more than saturated. We will begin to see even more dental offices next to each other. Hell, they might be neighbors.

God bless

Saturated or not saturated....

Retiring or not retiring ....

These topics is like which political party is better.....

To each their own ....

At the end of the day...

In the views of a native New Yorker, who sees the saturation of dentistry in NYC and the boroughs...

An additional school to the state of New York is welcomed.....

To all OOS'ers who are complaining about too many schools and saturation crap....

Don't support this school.. How? Just don't apply here.....

Touro College....

Get that paper

This has nothing to do with the topic but I have to ask, why do you feel the need to add so many periods after each sentence?

This has nothing to do with the topic but I have to ask, why do you feel the need to add so many periods after each sentence?

Because... he has... a hard time... stringing... two thoughts... together... due to the... fact that... he has... a... fish... brain...

Reactions: 10 users
Touro doesn't have the best reputation.

Sounds like another "pay to play" school, which will charge obscene tuition for a borderline education that will produce minimally competent dentists.

Touro doesn't have the best reputation.

Sounds like another "pay to play" school, which will charge obscene tuition for a borderline education that will produce minimally competent dentists.

Yes, not to mention the fact that people who can't get in anywhere else will go there. Weak student pool + bad school = rip patients.

Not really.....

I wish you were right, but alas, due to so many dentists losing a sizable chunk of their financial portfolios in real estate, etc during the crash (from which we are not fully recovered), and then having a "lost decade" of decreased earnings due to the same crappy economy and lackluster lack of recovery, MANY dentists will be putting off retirement until they basically drop dead with their drills in their hands.

Couple this with the already sizable increase in annual dentist grads, and the picture ain't quite as rosy as you would like to believe....

He's a giant teddy bear that's why . You know how teddy bears talk right ?

" uhmmm..... Hi...... I'm.... A big fat bear!!!" Lol

I wish you were right, but alas, due to so many dentists losing a sizable chunk of their financial portfolios in real estate, etc during the crash (from which we are not fully recovered), and then having a "lost decade" of decreased earnings due to the same crappy economy and lackluster lack of recovery, MANY dentists will be putting off retirement until they basically drop dead with their drills in their hands.

Couple this with the already sizable increase in annual dentist grads, and the picture ain't quite as rosy as you would like to believe....

I'm only quoting you so that you can see your present day forecast of the future....

I'm only quoting you so that you can see your present day forecast of the future....

I'm not pulling this assessment out of thin air.

There have been many articles concerning this in JADA and AGD magazines, and even my state dental society magazine.

Reactions: 1 users

Interesting editorial.

But one should also consider the source. The author is the CEO of an organization tied to dental education.

I consider articles written by practicing dentists, and by practice brokers, etc, to be more accurate barometers.

Not a complete doom and gloom prediction on my part; I still would recommend dentistry as a career for my kids, but one should enter the profession with their eyes open.

Reactions: 5 users
Just what we need...another Dental School...NOT!

Reactions: 7 users
Interesting editorial.

But one should also consider the source. The author is the CEO of an organization tied to dental education.

I consider articles written by practicing dentists, and by practice brokers, etc, to be more accurate barometers.

Not a complete doom and gloom prediction on my part; I still would recommend dentistry as a career for my kids, but one should enter the profession with their eyes open.
Sorry DOCJL, but they aren't going to listen to you. Application just opened and so they are still in the honeymoon phase :laugh:

Adea handbook PDF is available

Touro

Will attempt to have 110 seats!!

Most will be set aside of New Yorkers

It will be considered a public institution !!!

Biochemistry is required

Along with BCP Basics

$2000 1st down payment

PDF = $15 American dollars

I think this will be the school I get accepted to....

I feel it

Touro

Will attempt to have 110 seats!!

Most will be set aside of New Yorkers

It will be considered a public institution !!!

Biochemistry is required

Along with BCP Basics

$2000 1st down payment

CC credits accepted

And $100 app fee

Will have the latest dental technologies.

$500k debt here I come
Weeeeeeee

The PDF is instant

If you got a Mac it will be alittle slow....

Preference is to the PDF...

Less $ and is instant.....

I purchased the online version. But did not enter the correct email. Is there a way for ADEA to re-send the link? I don't want to have to re-purchase it due to email error.

Last edited: