Touro - Cali 2009 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pharmcas is driving me crazy. :scared::scared::scared:
my 3 recommenders have submited their lors a month ago, but Touro updated me saying that they still missing 1 more LOR. I called pharmcas and they said they dont even remember whether they have mailed them out or not. argggg :scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Same thing happened to me. I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't want Touro to ask for a $2000 deposit before I hear from other rolling schools.

How long did it take you guys to contact Ms. Julie Lee? I keep getting the voice recording when I call the toll free number and I've left messages. I called a couple times on Monday and pretty much all day yesterday - it's getting pretty frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, I keep getting voice recording so I just emailed her. I emailed her TWICE but she hasn't reply. I dont know what i should do now. I called pharmcas people again yesterday and they said they sent out my last recommendation letter on sept. 11th, but Ms Lee said she hasn't received it yet. :scared::scared::scared:

I just looked at Touro's academic calendar. They are observing Rosh Hashanah. They closed at noon on Monday and they were closed all day yesterday and today. I think that's the reason why we've been getting the voice message. I was seriously pulling my hair out to reach them. Classes resume tomorrow, so hopefully, we'll be able to contact admissions and Ms. Lee then.

I just looked at Touro's academic calendar. They are observing Rosh Hashanah. They closed at noon on Monday and they were closed all day yesterday and today. I think that's the reason why we've been getting the voice message. I was seriously pulling my hair out to reach them. Classes resume tomorrow, so hopefully, we'll be able to contact admissions and Ms. Lee then.

Yup there was no class this Tuesday or Wednesday which is probably why you didn't receive a reply. Julie Lee is usually very good at promptly replying back questions and concerns. Try giving a call tomorrow (Thursday) when class resumes again. Steve Davis is also a good source for help with speedy replies as well.

Just got a postcard saying my file was complete. Now, to see if they like me enough.

Yup there was no class this Tuesday or Wednesday which is probably why you didn't receive a reply. Julie Lee is usually very good at promptly replying back questions and concerns. Try giving a call tomorrow (Thursday) when class resumes again. Steve Davis is also a good source for help with speedy replies as well.

What time is the Admissions Office open? 8am? I've left a ton of messages...they probably think I'm insane or something.

I called today to set up my interview. FYI, both October 30th and 31st are open for scheduling. I was told that Julie's on vacation right now, but they transferred me over to Melanie when I said I was scheduling an interview.

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview. I'm just wondering how long it took for Touro to send you guys the interview invite after you turned in your supplemental. Thanks!

Received interview invite today. I'm so happy and nervous. I haven't scheduled it yet since it's already night time. Do you guys think they're open on Saturdays? Any tips for the interview? Are there essays?

By the way, once you send the supplemental you'll receive a follow up confirmation postcard about 3-4 days. Then ~about a week from the day you've received the confirmation postcard, you should receive an interview snail mail.

I received my interview letter today!!

They received my supplemental 9/22 (postcard dated 9/26)...and I haven't scheduled an interview date either because its not regular business hours!

Congrats on everyone you got an interview....I hope the October dates are not filled up already by next week!

Hix, it looks like I'm late. I just start writing my supplemental application now. I'm so busy with my study. I have question regarding about the questiion 16, 17. I saw only four lines in the supplemental. Does that mean they only give you four lines to answer these questions? Pls help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hix, it looks like I'm late. I just start writing my supplemental application now. I'm so busy with my study. I have question regarding about the questiion 16, 17. I saw only four lines in the supplemental. Does that mean they only give you four lines to answer these questions? Pls help.
Basically, you're limited with the only space provided. They want it concise and yes only four lines, but with the personal statement, you have to write it on a different page.

Thank you for answer my question. I just want to confirm that they only give us 4 lines because the 2nd question asks for problems in health care system and solution. It's so hard to finish within 4 lines. Any ideas?

They're not asking for a thesis or anything. Just put down a concise answer. I only used the space provided and was granted an interview, so don't worry about not writing enough.

mochiko forgot to say what an outstanding candidate they are...lol...but yes, as mochiko said, be concise =]

Thank you for answer my question. I just want to confirm that they only give us 4 lines because the 2nd question asks for problems in health care system and solution. It's so hard to finish within 4 lines. Any ideas?

Per the supplemental:

"If you require additional space, please attach a separate sheet of paper. Please be advised, however, that the Admissions and Standards Committee prefers shorter, concise responses as opposed to lengthy generalizations."

I took that to mean that it'd be a good idea to keep it in the space provided. If you're taking extra space to answer the questions they had better be stellar responses.

Someone please tell me that we didnt have to send in a resume with our supplemental app? Also, could we have sent in our resume with our supp app? Please let me know, thanks!

Someone please tell me that we didnt have to send in a resume with our supplemental app? Also, could we have sent in our resume with our supp app? Please let me know, thanks!

Ms. Julie said if we wanted we could send it along with the supplemental app.

mochiko forgot to say what an outstanding candidate they are...lol...but yes, as mochiko said, be concise =]
Far from outstanding... just trying to imply that your application won't be penalized for only writing 4 lines. :laugh:

Yeah, I was pretty frustrated with their supplemental app. Some of the questions I answered using only two sentences.

The point is to probably elicit honest and concise responses. Since they got thousands of apps to read I doubt they wanna sift thru pages and pages of BS.

how late are interview dates being scheduled till? has anyone heard of deferring an interview?

As of now, I only know that Oct 30 and 31st are the earliest...it was funny, when I was scheduling the interview the lady said I was the second person to ask for the 31st interview...I think it was mochiko that mentioned the two dates thats why!

Yeah, the supplemental was a bit weird....I just used the space given....I think its a lot harder to cut things down rather than extend it....they pretty give you a warning not to write too much!

oct. 31st is full. I just called to confirm. My interview is on Oct. 30th.

Where are you guys planning to stay? I just checked out the rate at Marriott and it's kind of expensive for me. I'm planning to stay at a motel right close to the campus but I dont' know if they have any shuttle there. Do you guys have any "good" plan ? Please share! I can't afford to spend so much on each interview :scared::scared:

i received a postcard saying that my application was complete on 9/16... still no interview invite. does this mean i'm pretty much rejected?

I've recevied my invitation today. It says I can schedule any available date during the cycle. That means I can schedule a date somewhere in December or even next year? Do they have a list of dates that I can pick? Does anyone know?

i received a postcard saying that my application was complete on 9/16... still no interview invite. does this mean i'm pretty much rejected?

I'm not sure. I submitted my supplemental on 09/17, but one of my LOR was missing, so my application was not completed until 10/1, and I got an invitation today, dating on 10/2. So I'm not sure about your case. :rolleyes:

I've recevied my invitation today. It says I can schedule any available date during the cycle. That means I can schedule a date somewhere in December or even next year? Do they have a list of dates that I can pick? Does anyone know?

Congrats!! When did you turn in your supplemental? When did you receive the completed postcard and invite?

Where are you guys planning to stay? I just checked out the rate at Marriott and it's kind of expensive for me. I'm planning to stay at a motel right close to the campus but I dont' know if they have any shuttle there. Do you guys have any "good" plan ? Please share! I can't afford to spend so much on each interview :scared::scared:

From my experience, the Quality Inn hotel has the cheapest rates around the area and is actually closer to campus than the marriot locally. They do not provide a shuttle so I wouldn't recommend staying there if you have no means of transportation.

From my experience, the Quality Inn hotel has the cheapest rates around the area and is actually closer to campus than the marriot locally. They do not provide a shuttle so I wouldn't recommend staying there if you have no means of transportation.

Thank you so much for your input! Then I guess I will have to stay at Marriott for 2 nights :mad:. I'm a little worried about the writing sample. Would you please give me advices/input on this? Thanks!

I know...I'm really scared about the essay....but of course more scared about the interview...are we interviewed by 2 members? This will be my first pharmacy interview....I hope things go well!

I woke up early and called them asap to schedule, since I have a midterm on the 30th i took the 31st. I was wondering if I can wear a halloween costume. :laugh: But yeah I'm anxious right now this is my first interview.

Do you guys have any idea the ratio of interview vs acceptance?

^ According to the PSAR, the class entering 2007 had 394 interviews, 197 were accepted, and 103 matriculated. So looks like 50% of the people interviewed were accepted, although the odds are probably slightly lower now.

Thanks for your info mochiko. Actually I am wondering ... are there any girls in here that have an interview on Oct. 30th? Maybe we can share our hotel room/split $ in half. I don't have enough $ to stay for 2 nights at Marriott by myself. :(

Thank you so much for your input! Then I guess I will have to stay at Marriott for 2 nights :mad:. I'm a little worried about the writing sample. Would you please give me advices/input on this? Thanks!

The writing sample basically tests how well you can express your thoughts and opinions on paper while writing professionally. Theres not much you can do here to prepare for it so I really wouldn't sweat it. Just go in with a clear mind :)

The writing sample basically tests how well you can express your thoughts and opinions on paper while writing professionally. Theres not much you can do here to prepare for it so I really wouldn't sweat it. Just go in with a clear mind :)

I believe previously they had pharmacy related prompts; however, many of the applicants lacked pharmacy experience, so now their prompts are more like your English 1A courses. Good Luck!

Man... it's looking like it is going to rain here soon!

can someone post their submission, completion, and interview dates? Thanks!

Anyone here currently attending another program at Touro University and interviewing on Oct 31st for pharmacy?

Anyone here currently attending another program at Touro University and interviewing on Oct 31st for pharmacy?

Do you mean other students who are in the Master's of Publc Health program?

Does anyone know when TU's regular business hours are? 8:30am? 9am?

Thanks!

Hey guys, for those getting interviews for Touro, good luck!! Be confident and know this profession well before going into the interviews.

I got accepted to Touro, class of 2013, starting Fall 09 so if any of you are going there next year, let me know so we can be roommies.

-Getting into pharmacy school is pretty tough now a days, but if you truly believe this is what you really want to do, you will get in somehow.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hey guys, for those getting interviews for Touro, good luck!! Be confident and know this profession well before going into the interviews.

I got accepted to Touro, class of '09, so if any of you are going there next year, let me know so we can be roommies.

-Getting into pharmacy school is pretty tough now a days, but if you truly believe this is what you really want to do, you will get in somehow.

Good Luck!

You got accepted for the graduating class of 2009? or the incoming 2009 class?

I got accepted to Touro, class of '09, so if any of you are going there next year, let me know so we can be roommies.

Good Luck!

Why are you settling to go to Touro? Did you apply anywhere else? I didn't too many good things about Touro.

After spending some time on the phone with Marriott, I found out that the "promotional code" for a "discount rate" is actually $25 more expensive then the regular room rate- But you need the "Touro package" to be able to use the shuttle service on your interview date.

If you choose to go that route, and need to spend 2 nights there, make sure you book over the phone so you have the "Touro Package" one day and the regular (cheaper) rate the other.

After spending some time on the phone with Marriott, I found out that the "promotional code" for a "discount rate" is actually $25 more expensive then the regular room rate- But you need the "Touro package" to be able to use the shuttle service on your interview date.

If you choose to go that route, and need to spend 2 nights there, make sure you book over the phone so you have the "Touro Package" one day and the regular (cheaper) rate the other.

How long is the interview..??? is it 2 day interview??

Good Luck!

You will actually be the class of 2013, not 2009 :)