Touro - Cali 2009 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just be coherent, make sense, don't ramble(be concise), and you will sound smarter than the rest of the group for sure. When I interviewed there, others in my group were rambling about nonsense. I could of sat there the whole interview and said nothing, and still get accepted.:laugh:

Are you serious? lol

Members don't see this ad.

thanks dumbguy...hopefully i'll get a bunch of people like the ones that were in your interview group! lol...i kinda figured you gotta be straight to the point since theres 4 or so other people in the room answering the same damn question. how long was the actual interview anyways? and about how many questions did they ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my interview invitation today via the phone! It is set for May 7th. I was told that May 8th is the last interview date.

I received my interview invitation today via the phone! It is set for May 7th. I was told that May 8th is the last interview date.
congrats! did they give you the dates to choose from? I turned in my supplemental eversince the end of january and still haven't heard anything from the school. bummer.

hey guys,

i just got an interview for april 23th and was wondering if those who already interviewed could give out some pointers for a group interview. ive been in a group interview for a job before but that was years ago. plus, this is pharmacy school! also, how long did it take for touro to get back to guys after the interview with an acceptance/waitlist/rejection?

thanks!

Basically, keep everything concise. Don't talk more than a couple of minutes when it's your turn. Also, don't volunteer to go first too much and use the responses to gauge your answers. And make sure to answer all the questions. One guy didn't and there were looks of "WTF?" from the interviewers. There were a couple of questions where they demanded answers in 30 seconds or less, so be prepared.

It'd help to try to have a basic understanding of some pharmacy policy, like Medicare Part D (very, very basic, they don't expect you to know it all).

They sent out decision letters within a week of the interviews, though you can ask them to e-mail you earlier.

Good luck!

congrats! did they give you the dates to choose from? I turned in my supplemental eversince the end of january and still haven't heard anything from the school. bummer.

They gave me the choice of May 7th or May 8th...lol! I chose May 7th since it's the earlier date but also asked to be given an earlier time slot in April if someone cancels.

Yay, I got in! :thumbup:
Now I need to make a big decision whether to attend Touro or MCPHS :oops:

Thanks all SDNers who have posted great information about the school and the interview process. Good Luck to you all!!

thanks stkyrice!

anyone on here going to the april 23 interview? just trying to gauge how many of us will be there...

thanks stkyrice!

anyone on here going to the april 23 interview? just trying to gauge how many of us will be there...

Well, if no one withdrew from interview for whatever reason, there's supposed to be 10 of you. Good Luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they are having interviews during their spring break April 13-17.

I have a question for current Touro students, when can I expect to get my loan money? I have some money saved up from work, but after this next $1000 deposit due on May 1st, I don't have enough for rent, laptop, and books. I spoke with financial aid and they said I can expect my award letter end of April/beginning of May, but I forgot to ask when I would actually receive my first loan payment.

For those of you living in Vallejo, how do you like it?

i actually am from vallejo! its my hometown and i enjoyed living there...i moved away after highschool for undergrad and havent really officially moved back since. i liked it there. if anyone has any questions about any neighborhoods in vallejo or anything, feel free to ask!

I have a question for current Touro students, when can I expect to get my loan money? I have some money saved up from work, but after this next $1000 deposit due on May 1st, I don't have enough for rent, laptop, and books. I spoke with financial aid and they said I can expect my award letter end of April/beginning of May, but I forgot to ask when I would actually receive my first loan payment.

your loan will automatically get paid to school for tuition. The balance will be issued to you as a check when the school starts.

Hey everyone, we have to pay our second deposit by May 1st correct? I haven't received any letters regarding it, so I am assuming we just mail it to to admissions?

Hey everyone, we have to pay our second deposit by May 1st correct? I haven't received any letters regarding it, so I am assuming we just mail it to to admissions?

I just checked my acceptance letter and it says its by May 15th.

Hey guys, I gave up my acceptance at Touro. So there's another spot for you all. :)

Hey guys, I gave up my acceptance at Touro. So there's another spot for you all. :)

Thank you for informing us of your status. For all of you who are on the high alternate list, they will review all of them once again in May to determine who will be accepted if not enough seats are available to accomodate all on the waitlist. If there are enough seats, all will be accepted and then if there's any availability, the medium alternates will be reviewed. Hope this helps for all of you who are anxiously waiting.

I'm turning down my acceptance to Touro as well. Here's one more spot for you guys! Good luck :)

Thanks all SDNers who have posted great information about the school and the interview process. Good Luck to you all!!

Hey there,

Have you made your decision about what school you are going to be attending in the fall?

MCPHS is fully accredited, Touro is not.
MCPHS is a 3 yr program, Touro is a 4 yr program
Although Touro is in California, Vallejo (Mare Island) whatever city it's in, it is very dull and has absolutely nothing to do. I don't even remember seeing any places to eat nearby the school. Maybe the bright side is that they are about 35-40 mins away from San Francisco.

Although Touro is in California, Vallejo (Mare Island) whatever city it's in, it is very dull and has absolutely nothing to do. I don't even remember seeing any places to eat nearby the school. Maybe the bright side is that they are about 35-40 mins away from San Francisco.

But you forget the $8 round-trip toll road to get to and from SF. I heard during my interview day at Touro that the students only take a trip to SF like once in a blue moon. Most of the time, they're too busy to do so with studying and whatnot.

For those applying to Touro University - California for the 2009 application cycle. Feel free to discuss and good luck!
Hi there, I really need help on whether should I go to Cal State University in California or University of California. Is under graduate school would affect on my application? I heard that committe look favor on those graduating from Univeristy than Cal State university ?

please get back to me soon, thanks

Touro will be fully accredited this May and offers a 2+2 program which is great for those of us without that much real pharmacy experience. Yes, Vallejo sucks as a city, but you are in the heart of "The Bay" still....San Francisco, Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, and Santa Cruz/Monterey beaches are all a drive away. Plus you're still about an 8 hour drive away from Vegas for those spontaneous weekend road trips. My question is, what the hell is there to do in Masachussetts? Lol

Hi there, I really need help on whether should I go to Cal State University in California or University of California. Is under graduate school would affect on my application? I heard that committe look favor on those graduating from Univeristy than Cal State university ?

please get back to me soon, thanks

Choose the school you like the most as far as atmosphere and also where you think you can excel academically. Maintaining a high GPA will get you far in the pharmacy application cycle.

There's a difference between IS ACCREDITED and WILL BE ACCREDITED. Many things can happen to prevent it from receiving its accreditation. Look at the school in Hawaii. It was supposed to receive accreditation. It didn't go through.

First of all.. you have to pay to go to San Francisco or anywhere else. (toll roads)
Massachussetts only has the world's best universities located there?! Harvard, MIT etc. etc..

Boston has a lot of more things to do than.. Mare Island...

I remember during my interview at Touro, the most exciting thing to do there was to look at navy ships parked by the university.

Touro will be fully accredited this May and offers a 2+2 program which is great for those of us without that much real pharmacy experience. Yes, Vallejo sucks as a city, but you are in the heart of "The Bay" still....San Francisco, Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, and Santa Cruz/Monterey beaches are all a drive away. Plus you're still about an 8 hour drive away from Vegas for those spontaneous weekend road trips. My question is, what the hell is there to do in Masachussetts? Lol

There's a difference between IS ACCREDITED and WILL BE ACCREDITED. Many things can happen to prevent it from receiving its accreditation. Look at the school in Hawaii. It was supposed to receive accreditation. It didn't go through.

HICP didn't even receive pre-candidate status before admitting students, whereas Touro has followed the steps necessary to obtain accreditation.

First of all.. you have to pay to go to San Francisco or anywhere else. (toll roads)
Massachussetts only has the world's best universities located there?! Harvard, MIT etc. etc..

Boston has a lot of more things to do than.. Mare Island...

You talk as if spending $30 bucks on some gas is that big of a deal, I still believe there are alot more sight-seeing places within driving distance to keep oneself occupied. I know that Mass has plenty of excellent universities, I was asking what there is exactly to do out there besides sitting at coffeshop for extracurricular activities, that's all.

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to the school of your choice whether it's Touro or elsewhere. All of us have our individual preferences on what we see is most fitting for us when choosing the specific school. :) Thank you for keeping us posted on your acceptances and also denials. I find some of the posts here very informative. This is just the beginning of our long.....journey to PharmD.

But you forget the $8 round-trip toll road to get to and from SF. I heard during my interview day at Touro that the students only take a trip to SF like once in a blue moon. Most of the time, they're too busy to do so with studying and whatnot.

We go to SF pretty often when we're not busy with block exams. I guess it depends on who you talk to because some people like to party/hang out in SF, while some people like to stay in town and rest or have fun. Just a clarification :)

i cant wait anyy longerrr. i really wanna stay in cali. i hope i make it off the high wait list. :xf:

i actually am from vallejo! its my hometown and i enjoyed living there...i moved away after highschool for undergrad and havent really officially moved back since. i liked it there. if anyone has any questions about any neighborhoods in vallejo or anything, feel free to ask!

I heard that Vallejo is very not safe, especially at night. Even the girl at the hotel where i stayed for the interview warned me not to go anywhere outside without your car cuz it can be dangerous!!!! :scared::(

Yep!!! that is my question too! What the heck is there to do in Mass besides sitting at those coffee shop watching people walking by?

We go to SF pretty often when we're not busy with block exams. I guess it depends on who you talk to because some people like to party/hang out in SF, while some people like to stay in town and rest or have fun. Just a clarification :)

I talked to one of the student at the interview, and she said she usually hang out with friends in SF on the weekends whenever they have time.

Anyone has an interview at Touro on the 24th of April ? I am going to fly there 1 day before (April 23) the interview so that I have a chance to visit the school beforehand, going around and get familiar with the interview room lol. I know that they have the interview on that they as well, so anyone who stays in the Marriott for Friday's interview want to join me ??

I heard that Vallejo is very not safe, especially at night. Even the girl at the hotel where i stayed for the interview warned me not to go anywhere outside without your car cuz it can be dangerous!!!! :scared::(

well...i guess since i lived there my whole life, i dont think its ghetto. its no compton or east l.a.! there are some parts of the city you dont wanna hang out in, but i never go there of course. for the most part, its a pretty chill place to live...not much to do there and since we're so close to other bay area cities, everyone pretty much ventures out to have some fun. the city is only 40 minutes away (30 if youre a fast driver and theres no traffic) and theres also sac (about 1 hr), walnut creek (30 minutes), berkeley (30 minutes)....if you know where to go and where not to go, you'll be fine. it will get some getting used to for people just moving into the bay area.

for those who have already interviewed, did the confirmation letter from touro say something along the lines of "we are please you will be attending a personal interview..." ?? does this mean that its still a group interview? this kinda got me excited for a minute not to have to go through with a scary group interview. but if not...oh well!

Is touro still sending out interview notifications? I have received nothing in terms of "were reviewing your file" or "rejected" etc..

for those who have already interviewed, did the confirmation letter from touro say something along the lines of "we are please you will be attending a personal interview..." ?? does this mean that its still a group interview? this kinda got me excited for a minute not to have to go through with a scary group interview. but if not...oh well!

That's what I thought but no, it is going to be group interview. :( When is your interview day? Mine is on the 24th of this Month?

That's what I thought but no, it is going to be group interview. :( When is your interview day? Mine is on the 24th of this Month?

boo...they really shouldnt put that in their letter then! mine is the day before yours, on the 23rd. good luck!

Did anyone hear anything about people on alternate list having to interview a second time? Or is everyone ranked and they just start pulling off the list.

Did anyone hear anything about people on alternate list having to interview a second time? Or is everyone ranked and they just start pulling off the list.

There will not be a 2nd interview. Once they're finished w/ all the interviews in early May and are able to determine how many seats are available, they'll review all the profiles again and contact those individuals for possible acceptance.