Touro ca vs Western comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simmac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current students, particularly MS2 & MS3 students, from either of these schools willing to give me some insight into their school experience? I'm grateful to have been accepted to both, but am having a hard time making up my mind.

I've read all old/recent posts on these schools, and my overall impression is that Touro has a stronger curriculum, while Western has stronger rotation sites and more established. My impression after interviews is that I could be happy at either institutions..I think..hard to know from one day when everyone's putting on a good show. I'm leaning towards Touro since my support network is in northern CA (and would prob live in Berkeley) and their strong OMM program but am concerned about their rotations sites. I've heard a lot of discontent surrounding the process and sites. Is it really that bad? And why exactly? Bad enough to go to a different school?

If anyone has some time, could you please answer any of these questions to help me and other uncertain applicants out? Thank you!!!

1) How difficult/easy is it to get great rotation sites? Why and why not (pros & cons)? What steps would you have to take in order to make the process easier on oneself and to get best sites?
2) How prepared do you feel for COMPEX and USMLE? Why and why not (pros & cons)?
3) How prepared do you feel for your rotations? Why and why not (pros & cons)?
4) How prepared do you feel for residency? Why and why not (pros & cons)?
5) If you started over, would you still choose your school?
6) Favorite thing about your school? Least favorite thing about your school?

Members don't see this ad.

TouroCA info:

-Rotation sites:
  • Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Colton, CA
  • Bay Area Local Hospitals, CA
  • Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, CA
  • College Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
  • Emanuel Medical Center, Turlock, CA
  • Kaiser Permanente, Northern California
  • Natividad Medical Center, Salinas, CA
  • UCSF Fresno, CA
  • St. John's Episcopal Health Group, Far Rockaway, NY

-COMLEX pass rates & Grad Placements:
http://com.tu.edu/_resources/docs/curriculum/2013-2014 GME Outcome Report - Master File.pdf

WesternUCOMP info:

-Rotation sites:
-COMLEX & Placement Rates:
http://dashboard.westernu.edu/oir-charts/assets/pdf/DO-2014-Placement-Report.pdf
http://dashboard.westernu.edu/oir-charts/index.php?chart=oir-osteopathic-medicine-charts

I would choose whatever closer to home. But overall, Western is superior.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @feeling-dizzy . Could you please elaborate? It's superior because it's more established, so has more connections to get you better rotations and residencies?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mexican food might be a little better in Pomona however! I've never visited that area though so I may be wrong!

Equally good but different styles.

Lots of taquerias/taco trucks in Northern California. So burritos and tacos are bomb. In my part (about 1 hr east of the bay, where agriculture is) there are a lot of families of the migrant workers that start food trucks and the food is great

Side note if you speak Spanish you can get some serious discounts at those trucks. I have never paid the full price for a burrito

TouroCA info:

-Rotation sites:
  • Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Colton, CA
  • Bay Area Local Hospitals, CA
  • Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, CA
  • College Medical Center, Long Beach, CA
  • Emanuel Medical Center, Turlock, CA
  • Kaiser Permanente, Northern California
  • Natividad Medical Center, Salinas, CA
  • UCSF Fresno, CA
  • St. John's Episcopal Health Group, Far Rockaway, NY

-COMLEX pass rates & Grad Placements:
http://com.tu.edu/_resources/docs/curriculum/2013-2014 GME Outcome Report - Master File.pdf

WesternUCOMP info:

-Rotation sites:
-COMLEX & Placement Rates:
http://dashboard.westernu.edu/oir-charts/assets/pdf/DO-2014-Placement-Report.pdf
http://dashboard.westernu.edu/oir-charts/index.php?chart=oir-osteopathic-medicine-charts

For what its worth Touro is adding a site in San Diego and Bakersfield. Also, I'm not sure which, but four sites were missing from that list you provided... Touro currently has 13 sites.

Albertos or cotixans? LOL
Cotixan all the way. Albertos is drunk mexican food lol.

But beyond those two I would choose Vallarta's...it's all about those christian fries (carne asade fries with an egg and chorizo on top).

@yanks26dmb do you know what hospitals they'll be rotating at in San Diego?

Cotixan all the way. Albertos is drunk mexican food lol.

But beyond those two I would choose Vallarta's...it's all about those christian fries (carne asade fries with an egg and chorizo on top).

@yanks26dmb do you know what hospitals they'll be rotating at in San Diego?

You're both incorrect. The correct answer is Oscars or Mariscos German.

I've heard the sd site is going to actually be up in oceanside...unsure of which facility exactly

You're both incorrect. The correct answer is Oscars or Mariscos German.

I've heard the sd site is going to actually be up in oceanside...unsure of which facility exactly

Oscars?! Ive never even been there but Ive heard good things about it.

oceanside...wow thats a nice area. sounds lime kaiser or scripps.

As a resident, I'd must rather work with Western Students. Much more professional and clinical strong. I've worked with students from Touro NY and Touro CA as well as several IMG's on both coasts.

I don't now what it is, but there is definitely a sense of "millennial entitlement" that I associate with Touro students. I'm not alone, my co-residents agree.

Western students are known to take initiative, are not afraid to work hard, and have great teamwork skills. I've seen nothing but professionalism on rotations from western students, and the university prides itself on that.