Toughest States for Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Umm…West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, and New Jersey require oral exams.
My post was 11 years old, so changes are inevitable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
CA requires a written test CA specific exam (CPSE) in adition to the EPPP. They also have 'extra' training requirements (in Diversity and Child/Elder Abuse?) that need to be completed. Of course interested out of state applicants can now take the required classes online if your program didn't offer them. :rolleyes:

MI can be a decent option for VA people because they waived any CE requirements and their fees are reasonable. Their general licensure requirements are pretty standard, though if you are looking to earn your post-doc hours they require a "limited license". It is a hassle up front because you need to submit all of the regular licensure paperwork (minus EPPP score and proof of post-doc hours), but on the backend it is much quicker to get your "limited license" changed over to an unrestricted license.

OH is one of the few states left that requires an oral jurisprudence exam. The exam can only be scheduled once all of the other requirements have been approved, and sometimes there is a wait. They offer a limited # of places and slots/times each month, so applicants often have to drive to other parts of the state to take the exam. Four domain areas are covered, 1 wrong answer is acceptable if you get the alternate question for the domain correct.

NY has a (well-earned) reputation for being more picky about credentials. They require proof of education/training related to child abuse reporting standards and evaluation by the board for first time NY licensure applicants. The most widely accepted EPPP cutoff score I have seen for states is 500, though NY may be higher? They list 75 as their cutoff, though I'm not familiar with how that translates to the 200-800 range most states reference. They do not accept CPQ last I checked.

FL is a popular place to practice, so it isn't surprising the most common complaint I have heard relates to the amount of time it takes from start to finish.

For links to spec. licensing board, Dr. Ken Pope keeps a nice list for both the US and Canadian territories.

I am licensed in Texas and Ohio...I got licensed in Ohio first and it was honestly the easiest. The oral exam is not a problem at all. They ask you 5 questions, it's done over Zoom. If you fail one question, you get an alternate to select from. They phrase the questions in a manner that is not meant to trick you and they often help guide you if they hear you are in the ballpark on something (they provide prompts, etc. to nudge you along).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is in MO have thoughts of licensure process? In CA and will potentially be moving there in the next few years

I am licensed in Texas and Ohio...I got licensed in Ohio first and it was honestly the easiest. The oral exam is not a problem at all. They ask you 5 questions, it's done over Zoom. If you fail one question, you get an alternate to select from. They phrase the questions in a manner that is not meant to trick you and they often help guide you if they hear you are in the ballpark on something (they provide prompts, etc. to nudge you along).
Back when I first got licensed, I was in a state that req. oral exams. I literally drove thru an ugly snowstorm 3hr bc I didn’t want to wait 1-2+ mon for another date. Two other applicants also showed up (similar circumstances). I white knuckled most of the way, and I grew up driving in snow.

The exam wasn’t hard, as I knew to study from the guide the state provided, but the snow def added a layer of stress to the experience. The oral exams in most states aren’t anything to worry about as long as you follow the recs of the licensing board(s).

Depends on if they have been practicing >5 years and/or of they are boarded through ABPP.
I’m not licensed yet (finishing postdoc hours now). My family lives there and will potentially be moving in several years to care for parents as they age (so likely over 5 years). Just wondered if anyone had any other information- it looks like that is what I had read too. Thanks everyone!

Umm…West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, and New Jersey require oral exams.
Mississippi has waived the post doc requirement now though! So licensing there has gotten easier from that standpoint at least.

Given the ASBPP is moving towards having a cumulative EPPP Parts 1 & 2 exam by 2026 for all states, how does this affect transferring a license from a state where one didn’t have to take the EPPP Part 2?

I know some states offer reciprocity if you’re boarded, but what if you’re not boarded?

Given the ASBPP is moving towards having a cumulative EPPP Parts 1 & 2 exam by 2026 for all states, how does this affect transferring a license from a state where one didn’t have to take the EPPP Part 2?

I know some states offer reciprocity if you’re boarded, but what if you’re not boarded?
There isn't really a "transferring" option, as licensure is at the state level, thus why each state has their own process. Some states offer a version of "licensure via endorsement", which acts as a shortcut to licensure, but you still need to jump through some hoops. Some/Most states will have a streamlined application process for clinicians who have at least 5 years of licensure (& are in good standing), though again it is up to each state to set their own process.

As for the EPPP Parts 1 & 2...no idea. I passed mine forever ago and I'm just thankful I don't have to worry about that stuff again.

There isn't really a "transferring" option, as licensure is at the state level, thus why each state has their own process. Some states offer a version of "licensure via endorsement", which acts as a shortcut to licensure, but you still need to jump through some hoops. Some/Most states will have a streamlined application process for clinicians who have at least 5 years of licensure (& are in good standing), though again it is up to each state to set their own process.

As for the EPPP Parts 1 & 2...no idea. I passed mine forever ago and I'm just thankful I don't have to worry about that stuff again.
I also wonder about part 2 of the EPPP. Given that not all states will require it, I imagine the ones that do will just require that you take and pass it before you can get licensed there. Sort of like how they do with their jurisprudence and/or oral exams.

Reactions: 1 users
I’d warn new graduates to be wary of trying to get licensed in a state that doesn’t require a post-doc. The path of least resistance isn’t always the best.
I 100% concur. It’s better to obtain licensure in a state that has very high standards and requires postdoc hours first, as it would ne easy to transfer the license to another state.

Coming upon this thread in an attempt to answer some licensing questions I have-- for anyone who has taken it, what is the LA and/or MS oral exam like?