tough decisions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KB02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to DMU and CSPM. I got interviews to the other schools, but the only other ones that I'd be interested in is Temple, Scholl, and AZPM. However, I only have a few weeks before I have to deposit to secure my scholarships that were offered from DMU & CSPM. I'm leaning toward DMU, but I'm still kinda interested in Scholl and Arizona. Any suggestions?? I really liked DMU and felt very comfortable there. So now I'm debating about location (the cost of living) and education.

So my main questions...
1. What is there to do in Des Moines?
2. Is the cost of living in North Chicago reasonable and is it safe? Also, what is the class size?
3. Should I have any reservations about how new the Arizona program is? And what is the class size?

Thanks!! Any respones will be very valuable and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

All of your choices are great schools! I personally was debating between Arizona and Scholl. I loved them both. However, I chose AZPOD because the class size is a bit smaller, the school is smaller, the students I happened to meet seemed more enthused, and I just could not turn down living in that area - its beautiful and affordable. The area where Scholl is located is also nice - there are definitely plenty of safe, nice, and affordable places to live. But, the area around AZPOD just cant be beat in my mind - this is obviously personal preference, but I just love seeing the mountains, lots of running trails, open space, pools, very athletic community, and lots of new coffee shops and restuarants all over. Plus, the housing options in the AZPOD area are great - very safe and new areas.

If you love DMU or Scholl and are confident in choosing one of them, then go with it - otherwise, I would definitely at least interview at the others. You should not be at all concerned with how new AZPOD is, in fact, I think it is a big upside to the school. For example, because it is so new, the faculty is very fresh and motivated in making it a top program. They are incredibly focused there and have some of the best faculty who were previously at other schools - these faculty members obviously believed in the program enough to move and work at AZPOD. The school is well established and the DO program there is one of the best - so its just the pod program that is new, but they have many of the same classes as the DO students. It is a terrific program and many respectable DPMs - and residency directors - are very sure of this.

As for your scholarship money at the other schools: I was offered money at Scholl and they were very willing to wait for me to decide past the initial deadline. Just tell them that you have not finished interviewing at the other schools. The should be okay with this, as long as you dont make them wait too long.

Either way, you wont go wrong. As many have explained on this forum, its clear that the best school is really only what is best for you - so the area, program, faculty, community, etc. should all fit your needs so that you can be most successful. Good luck deciding, this is a fun process!!

KB02 said:
I have been accepted to DMU and CSPM. I got interviews to the other schools, but the only other ones that I'd be interested in is Temple, Scholl, and AZPM. However, I only have a few weeks before I have to deposit to secure my scholarships that were offered from DMU & CSPM. I'm leaning toward DMU, but I'm still kinda interested in Scholl and Arizona. Any suggestions?? I really liked DMU and felt very comfortable there. So now I'm debating about location (the cost of living) and education.

So my main questions...
2. Is the cost of living in North Chicago reasonable and is it safe? Also, what is the class size?
3. Should I have any reservations about how new the Arizona program is? And what is the class size?

I am fairly confident that DMU will have the cheapest living expences. Go with your feeling. If you feel confortable at a certain school then I would go with that. I interviewed at California and then at DMU and after my interview in Des Moines I knew that hands down DMU was the place for me and my family not only academically but socially as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
KB02 said:

So my main questions...

If you're a genius you might have time to do stuff, I myself am not an idiot and spend most of the days the 1st year and a half studying, even late into the evening. Sometimes you can quit early, but it is usually for sleep. Are you single or married? DMU is cheap living. If you want more advice your current martial status and age, hobbies and interest could help. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks everybody for your responses! Every reply has helped me in choosing the college that is right for me. As of now, I will talk with Admissions at DMU to see if I can defer until the middle of March, so I can interview with Chicago and Arizona. Thanks again for all your help! Feel free to keep in touch:)

psionic_blast said:
If you're a genius you might have time to do stuff, I myself am not an idiot and spend most of the days the 1st year and a half studying, even late into the evening. Sometimes you can quit early, but it is usually for sleep. Are you single or married? DMU is cheap living. If you want more advice your current martial status and age, hobbies and interest could help. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

I'm a 21-year old single female from Texas. As far as hobbies and interests, I like to be involved in organizations, anything sports-related..running & swimming, baking, and I like to go out every once in awhile. I do have a black lab I'd like to take with me, so I would need a place that allows pets. I'm finishing up my undergrad at Baylor University. Baylor is located in Waco, and to me, Waco is a med. sized town...malls, theaters, a small downtown nightlife..the population is around 200, 000. I'm originally from a small town in Texas, so Waco was a good adjustment...I'm guessing the size of Des Moines is the same. Thanks for all your help! Keep in touch!
Thanks for all your help!! Keep in touch!

KB02 said:
I'm a 21-year old single female from Texas. As far as hobbies and interests, I like to be involved in organizations, anything sports-related..running & swimming, baking, and I like to go out every once in awhile. I do have a black lab I'd like to take with me, so I would need a place that allows pets. I'm finishing up my undergrad at Baylor University. Baylor is located in Waco, and to me, Waco is a med. sized town...malls, theaters, a small downtown nightlife..the population is around 200, 000. I'm originally from a small town in Texas, so Waco was a good adjustment...I'm guessing the size of Des Moines is the same. Thanks for all your help! Keep in touch!

Des Moines has a small town feel without being to small. There are an abundance of walking biking trails and even dog parks. This is a town that is extremely pet friendly, Almost all apartments with a few exceptions will let you have animals. Especially in west des moines where most people live, since it is a nicer area. I couldn't believe how many places allowed pets, and how many vets/ pet hospitals and even pet funeral homes there were here in des moines. You will not be sorry in my opinion if you choose to come to DMU it is one of the best if not the best schools. There is a thrid year texan here right now that has enjoyed it here his name is james kent. I am sure bonnie mattox could help you to reach him and he could give you some advice and his opinion from more of your point of view. just my two cents. The only real thing we lack here is professional sports, there is semi-pro though if you like that sort of thing. good luck

KB02 said:

If you like biking or running there are some awesome paths here to use. Des Moines is a little bigger than what you are used to though. The metro population is about 500,000. I came from phoenix so this place is tiny compared to what I am used to. But it has a nice small town feel to it. Not a huge night-life though compared to bigger cities like chicago and san fran. The school does do a lot of intermural sports (volleyball, basketball) even some faculty vs students tournaments. Its really fun. The school is very big on fitness and offers a free comprehensive personal wellness profile each year. Just got my second one done today. Lets just say I've been spending too much time in a chair and not enough time on the treadmill.

KB02 said:

So my main questions...

Hopefully you will consider Arizona, we could use a few more good Baptist girls her in the Southwest. I grew up in Oklahoma and have alot of friends that either went to Baylor or taught there. I agree with Runnersfeet, Arizona is beautiful and there is alot to do around here. You should at least take a look at the campus. Good Luck

KB02 said:

So my main questions...

Being a short drive from 2 major cities is a definite plus of attending SCPM. I LOVE Chicago---its and incredible city with so much to see/ do. The class size is small (around 80) but it feels bigger because of all the other programs at RFU. SCPM has the biggest library of any pod school and the anatomy lab is AWESOME (something you'll develop an appreciation for with time, after all the hours you spend in there in the wee hours of the morning.)

the anatomy lab is AWESOME (something you'll develop an appreciation for with time said:
The anatomy lab is a nice lab but you don't dissect you own bodies. To me, I don't care how nice a lab is if you can't get your hands dirty. That is what lab is about.

I'm a fan of DMU, of course that is b/c I go there. I applied everywhere I had interviews planned everywhere, but in my mind it was Scholl and CPMS from the beginning. If you are wondering what there is to do, Des Moines has everything that Scholl and AZPOD have but on a smaller cheaper scale. Yes, Chicago has the Sox and Cubs, but Des Moines has the Iowa Cubs. They also have an IHL hockey team, a junior hockey squad, an indoor football team. There are tons of outdoor activities. I live about 6 blocks from a huge lake. There are lake paths and boat ramps.

I study the least of all of the CPMS students on this forum, and I'll don't feel I have enough time to do 1/3 of the things in Des Moines. So having things to do is rarely an issue after you get into school.

Dr_Feelgood said:
The anatomy lab is a nice lab but you don't dissect you own bodies. To me, I don't care how nice a lab is if you can't get your hands dirty. That is what lab is about.

Trust me, our hands get VERY dirty. There are six students per tank and we dissect the ENTIRE body from head to toe.

We peel away skin with scalpels, remove fat and fascia, isolate nerves, vessels and muscles, saw through the skull, do a hemisection through the genitalia, remove organs, doing hemisections on them when necessary, and everything else involved in a complete and thorough dissection of the human body. So our hands get VERY greasy.

When it was time to dissect the lower extremities, we teamed up with the M1's at their tanks, saving our extremities for a separate lower extremity course which we are just begining now. We will now dissect the lower extremities again, this time in excruciating detail. (dissect = getting hands dirty)

So yes, our anatomy lab is large and ventilated, we have excellent instructors, and we get down and VERY dirty. Try and beat that.

Next time, try not to make comments on things you don't know much about.

Members don't see this ad :)
JustMyLuck said:
Trust me, our hands get VERY dirty. There are six students per tank and we dissect the ENTIRE body from head to toe.

We peel away skin with scalpels, remove fat and fascia, isolate nerves, vessels and muscles, saw through the skull, do a hemisection through the genitalia, remove organs, doing hemisections on them when necessary, and everything else involved in a complete and thorough dissection of the human body. So our hands get VERY greasy.

When it was time to dissect the lower extremities, we teamed up with the M1's at their tanks, saving our extremities for a separate lower extremity course which we are just begining now. We will now dissect the lower extremities again, this time in excruciating detail. (dissect = getting hands dirty)

So yes, our anatomy lab is large and ventilated, we have excellent instructors, and we get down and VERY dirty. Try and beat that.

Next time, try not to make comments on things you don't know much about.

Well Tommy Tough Nuts, you should learn manners. I interviewed at Scholl and was told from the horses mouth that you work w/ the U of Chicago med students they dissect you review in basic anatomy not lower limb. Now if things have changed then that is great. But you need to slow you roll and show some respect to others. Remember I might be your boss one day son.

:laugh:
Dr_Feelgood said:
Well Tommy Tough Nuts, you should learn manners. I interviewed at Scholl and was told from the horses mouth that you work w/ the U of Chicago med students they dissect you review in basic anatomy not lower limb. Now if things have changed then that is great. But you need to slow you roll and show some respect to others. Remember I might be your boss one day son.

C'MON, you should know better than that, only Scholl graduates can be the bosses of DMU grads, Duh. ;) It cannot be the other way around.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now if there are older Scholl students on this forum, I'd like to see if the anatomy policy has changed?

Dr_Feelgood said:

Pardon the language in the title. I really don't want to get involved in this but I saw your posting and its completely untrue. During the Gross Anatomy course, I dissected EVERY class period whether that be upper extremity, lower extremity, head, abdomen, etc etc. Not once was I called to look at an atlas or review book unless I wanted to. We don't really need those in our lab. We have a computer above each tank with an online atlas and step-by-step dissection videos. So why dirty up your atlas? The Scholl students save one of their cadaver legs to dissect the spring semester during the Lower Extremity course. So I don't know which horse you talked to, but he wasn't very familiar with our pasture.

MurrayButler,
What year are you? When I interviewed at Scholl the lab had just been renovated w/ the computer system. Therefore, I am asking if this has always been the policy.

IlizaRob said:
That's pretty cool

This is what the anatomy labs will be like at DMU when they move the surgery lab and the anatomy lab expands.

Of course everything gets better after we leave.

Dr_Feelgood said:
This is what the anatomy labs will be like at DMU when they move the surgery lab and the anatomy lab expands.

Of course everything gets better after we leave.

Will this new anatomy lab be completed for the next incoming class this fall?

MarquetteGuy said:
Will this new anatomy lab be completed for the next incoming class this fall?

I'm not sure. They are going to be done w/ the surgical labs in March and I assume they'd start on the Anatomy labs as soon as those are done. If they are not done for you Basic anatomy lab, you'll get them for lower limb.

if I remember right MurrayButler is a 1st year.

look, you're a decent candidate and your stats seem much better than some of the others that have been bragging around here lately.

Please do yourself a big favor and apply to temple, iowa and arizona. oh yeah, and scholl too.... Don't get hung up on school location!!!! It might not be the right school for you!!!

Thank-you for taking our profession seriously in undergrad and working hard.

Keep it up in a decent podiatry school and you'll do great!

Dr_Feelgood said:

Wow. so now showing respect for others means sitting passively while others make clearly untrue/misinformed statements about your school?

Ignorance breeds ignorance. If a prospective student were to read your post, they would have a misinformed view about Scholl. As a current SCPM student, I believe I know quite a bit about how things work here. Maybe things were different when you interviewed, so I can't hold that against you. I was merely trying to corrent your misinformed statements.

I'm sure I have a lot to learn about your school. If I made an untrue statement about your school, I would be glad if someone corrected me, because then I would be a more knowledgable person as a result. I certainly wouldn't be offended or accuse them of not having manners. but maybe that's just me.

As per your statement that you might one day be my boss? Unlikely Haven't you heard that girls are taking over podiatry? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Once again, as I have posted, have you always been part of the dissecting process. I'm not talking this year or last year, how about 3 years ago when just before the anatomy labs were renovated? I still have not received that answer. If you are going to defend your school please do some back-research. If you do, and I was wrong please accept my apology. But until someone besides a first year tells me this is untrue, I still wonder that is the truth.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Once again, as I have posted, have you always been part of the dissecting process. I'm not talking this year or last year, how about 3 years ago when just before the anatomy labs were renovated? I still have not received that answer. If you are going to defend your school please do some back-research. If you do, and I was wrong please accept my apology. But until someone besides a first year tells me this is untrue, I still wonder that is the truth.

It seems as though you are really intent on learning about the history of our school. That's great and in which case I would recomment contacting in Box29, a former SCPM student. I'm sure he could fill you in on all the details of what things were like here back in the day.

As I and another member of my class have already explained in detail, we do exactly the same things in the gross lab that M1s do in Clinical Anatomy. And it was the same way for the c/o 2008 last year. Things may have been different before that. Scholl has changed and improved significantly since joining FUHS/CMS (now Rosalind Franklin) several years ago. If Scholl were the same school it was umpteen years ago, I would in all likelihood be attending another school.

History is good and important, but if someone insists on sticking to outdated notions like glue and gets suspicious when people try to update them, there is clearly a problem.

JustMyLuck said:
History is good and important, but if someone insists on sticking to outdated notions like glue and gets suspicious when people try to update them, there is clearly a problem.

Isn't that what Scholl lives off of, an old and powerful name? I’m sorry to say, I don’t follow many Scholl policy changes. I interviewed in 2001 the day they announced the name change. I was given a tour by a 2nd year; therefore I have never talked to another Scholl student since that day. He would have taken Basic anatomy in 1999. Now, all I can speak of is the information that I was given on that day. I was not the only who was told that information. How do I know this? b/c I've talked others that interviewed at Scholl at the same time.

Here’s another question for the Scholl students, do they still have the externship genesis program?

Make certain that whatever program that you select gives you ample time to study and learn the material well!

That's what you're paying for!