Top Osteopathic Medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bebella24

Dr. EmPathY
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've read through a couple of the posts and hear everyone speak so enthusiastically about the school that they will be attending shortly. I recently began researching D.O. schools, and am unclear of rankings. Is there a website which ranks osteopathic medical schools, or do you guys know which D.O. schools are top tier? Thankx much!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Funny you should ask! I was just thinking today that DMU is indeed the best med school! Ever! ;)

There aren't any formal rankings for osteopathic schools. There aren't enough schools for rankings to really mean anything anyway. When I applied, I just looked at each one and made my decisions based on what I'd like in a school.

Actually there are some ranking categories which include osteopathic med. schools.

Take for example the usnews top primary care medical schools which include about 3 osteopathic schools . This ranking can be accessed through this link CLICK HERE

But please DO NOT go buying usnews premium services just to access a controversial list.

Best Wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
US News and World Report each year puts out a ranking of each graduate school (law, medicine, engineering, PhD etc.). The medical school rankings are broken up in to different categories (top 50 for research, top 50 for primary care etc.).

When people talk about USNEWS rankings for DO schools, they are talking about the top 50 schools for primary care medicine (I dont think any DO schools made the research list).

This year, 3 DO schools made the top 50 primary care medicine list - MSU, North Texas, and, of course, OSU. :D

Although the rankings don't mean all that much, I have to admit it's really impressive that MSU got ranked #4 of all medical schools in the nation.

No such ranking exist comparing all osteopathic schools with each other.

Also be aware what the "criteria" are for the USNews ranking....

This comes up time and time again.... be careful with what people claim as a "ranking" system.

Otherwise, the ranking systems that are out there are entertaining to read.... So have fun with it but don't base your decision solely on the rankings....

Later, :cool:

Thank you so much for your responses! I really appreciate your input. ...and thankx for the warnings..i'll definitely base my decision on where i feel most comfortable!:)

Just a thought...

I can understand the reason(s) for why one would want to know the rankings of medical schools (u.s. allopathic and osteopathic) however does it really matter in the long run? If your school is ranked 3rd in category "X" does that mean you're going to study less for exams/boards than you would if you attended a school ranked 6th in that same category? Speaking on behalf of your future patients, I would hope not!

Some may argue that school rankings may play a factor in terms of getting into prestigious residencies. Medical school ranking does not take the place of grades/board scores no matter where you graduated from. The moral of the story is that you will get out what you put into your school. You don't have to graduate from Harvard or Hopkins etc... to be a good physician or residency applicant for that matter.

When you're asked why you chose to attend Podunk Medical College I would think that it would be silly to say that you chose them because they were #1 in research. Why not say that you chose them because you felt that by going to Podunk you were being given the best opportunity for future personal/professional success.

Again, Just a thought...

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest nor am I on the admissions committee at Podunk Medical College.