Top oncology program opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solidstate

Faking it till I make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
After lurking for nearly a decade, I finally decided to get a username and post a question. I promise I'm not trolling.

I have eagerly read the prior application year threads, and feel like we should have a dedicated thread for the "top" academic oncology programs to be debated. While obviously there are multiple factors involved and this decision is ultimately personal, I feel like there is so much experience on this board that it would really be an informative exercise.
But just in case, I'm wearing my flame-******ant hat.

Fodder includes:
1. What do you think are the top 3-5 programs?
2. What are their relative strengths? Solid vs. liquid (vs. BMT, if you choose to separate); basic vs. clinical vs. translational vs. phase I; location vs. location; support vs. autonomy.
3. If you could go anywhere, where would it be?

Discuss.

:boom:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying in heme-onc this year, and would love to hear replies as well (from someone who knows more than me, i.e. fellows, attendings, etc).

From word-of-mouth, here's what I've heard...

Top 3 programs: MSKCC, DFCI, MD Anderson (no particular order)
Fred Hutchinson especially good in BMT
Other good ones: UCSF, Hopkins, Penn

Thoughts much appreciated...

I'll also perpetuate the hearsay, for that matter:

---
MSKCC: Clinically excellent, with basic/translational research slightly behind. HUGE clinical center. Better in solids than liquids. Little autonomy. Fair support. Fellows largely pushed out the instant they finish.

DFCI: Basic science powerhouse. Clinically slightly behind. Emerging translational/phase I program. Balanced in solids and liquids. Little autonomy. Fair support. Fellows stay on for a couple years before being pushed out.

MDACC: Clinically amazing, with basic science least powerful of the "big three," but a large phase I group. Solids better than liquids. ? autonomy. Good support. Fellows encouraged to stay for the long haul.
---
Penn: Haven't heard as much about them, but very well-regarded. Very supportive of fellows, and encourages some to stay on long-term.

Hopkins: Also interested in hearing more.

Duke: Strong, balanced program. Would love to hear people's opinions. A lot of people knock it for being in Durham, except TommyGunn04.
---
Again, I'm only perpetuating the reputations I've heard, and am trying to jumpstart conversation because I feel poorly informed and want to hear more.

Let us hear what you think!

Thanks again to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mskcc = ??
Dfci = ??

no one mentioned NCI?

What I have heard is that NCI is VERY academic, and by academic I mean basic science academic ! clinical trials are phase I and phase II with significant weakness with bread and butter oncology. It is a program with its own " genre" so it is hard to compare it to other programs.

When I think of important phase II/III trials, I think of MD Anderson and Dana Farber. A consideration with MSKCC is competition with nearby centers. Memorial is a household name but I'm not sure how that translates into a being a fellow there. You have to think about the "stroma" of where you are a fellow. Would the stroma support your career interest in health outcomes research, transplanting, cooperative group chair, blood bank director, or industry liason scientist? Being at a place with a big billboard doesn't necessarily guarantee it will benefit you as a fellow. After all, the smallest community fellowship progam in the country could be perfect for you if you want to be an excellent private practitioner.

Here's my info about MDA, being a fellow here, like JayZ's album "the gift and the curse"

Gift:
1) Great clinical training. You work in clinics with top oncologists, a lot of bread and butter and interesting cases. Continuity clinic at county hospital where you run the show.
2) Autonomy: No one forces you to do academics, which I think is unique for a top program. In the past at Univ of Chicago (not anymore), fellows would be asked to leave after the 2nd yr and single board in onc if you wanted to do priv practice, but not like that anymore. At MSKCC, on my interview there I was told you have to go in front of a committee to dual board. At MDA, after your clinical 18mos, there's a "master clinician tract" where all you do is clinics. Everyone dual boards, you have to give a good reason to single board.
3) Research opportunities: As a 1st yr, there is a weekly dinner meeting where each dept (chairman, attendings, lab people) tell you about their projects and you meet them. Easy to get publications. Every attending you work with prob could give you a project.
4) No scut (good/bad): MDA runs without fellows, which means they don't depend on you for anything, but if you just sit back and chill, you might not learn much.

Curse:
1) Autonomy: Maybe it's good to go to a place like MSKCC where they require all fellows to submit a YIA, even if you do priv practice, at least you are forced to learn basic research skills (writing a grant, etc).
2) I miss being in a univ environment w/ resident and med students. We get that when we rotate to county and Herman hospitals for heme consults but not the same. We have 45 fellows total, so this helps w/ the comraderie.

Wll I'm doing a project about Oncology but frankly i have no idea what you said. I think POE is the best if I know what i'm doing.