Top non-US medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolguy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the top 10 NON-US medical schools in the world for people who would like to come back to the US to complete residency. If there is no actual ranking then just name what you think are the top medical schools in the world that would be highly recognized by the US. I understand I can easily go to Caribbean medical schools, but I am wondering if there are medical schools better then those. I would like to come back to the US and specialize in something with critical care medicine or even anesthesiology.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This will seem rude, but what makes you think that you can get into a Top 10 Non-US school if you can't get into a US school?

Other countries have standards too, and as a matter of fact, most do not take foreign students. They are not designed to train students who want to be US physicians. and aren't necessarily the best choice for you.

Are you fluent in any foreign languages?

Are you a citizen of any foreign countries?

Most US citizens who train at worldclass medical schools are probably qualified enough to have trained in the US but choose to do so elsewhere.

I have a 3.6 gpa overall and 3.3 gpa for science. A 33S on the MCAT. I work for the world known R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. The only shock trauma center in the world. I have plenty of volunteer experience in both clinical and non-clinical (community service). I have done research with Johns Hopkins Hospital and worked as a medical assistant in nuclear medicine for radiology clinics. I have leadership experience as well. My major will be a b.s. in INDS for integrative medicine and international health care. The languages I speak include english, hindi, punjabi, malayalam, spanish, arabic, and some farsi. It is actually a hobby for me to learn new languages and I am currently working on mandarin chinese. Unfortunately, because of my low science gpa I am unable to get into a US medical school. Also even if I did, I most likely will not be able to pay for it or get loans. I know that non-us medical schools are usually cheaper to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.6 gpa overall and 3.3 gpa for science. A 33S on the MCAT. I work for the world known R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. The only shock trauma center in the world. I have plenty of volunteer experience in both clinical and non-clinical (community service). I have done research with Johns Hopkins Hospital and worked as a medical assistant in nuclear medicine for radiology clinics. I have leadership experience as well.

Most foreign medical schools that accept Americans do not care much about ECs; or least not nearly as much as US schools do.

FYI: Shock Trauma is not the only shock trauma "center" in the world. It is the only free standing trauma hospital in the US. Whether or not that means anything is up to the person, I guess. Not that its not a great place (my ex did his trauma fellowship there), but realize that outside of the US, probably no one will have heard of it.

My major will be a b.s. in INDS for integrative medicine and international health care. The languages I speak include english, hindi, punjabi, malayalam, spanish, arabic, and some farsi. It is actually a hobby for me to learn new languages and I am currently working on mandarin chinese. Unfortunately, because of my low science gpa I am unable to get into a US medical school.

Impressive. I wish I had done that when I was younger (learn all those languages).

Also even if I did, I most likely will not be able to pay for it or get loans. I know that non-us medical schools are usually cheaper to attend.

Yes and no. The schools that you would have the best chance at, in the UK, Israel and Australia, are not cheaper than the US. In fact, they are more expensive than many US state schools.

The cheap schools - in India, Phillipines, etc. which teach in English may or may not accept you.

Have you tried to get into a US school? The problem with a lot of the foreign schools is that they are not set up to teach people who want to work in the US. The Caribbean schools are.

Spend some time reading the various country forums here to get an idea of what schools are out there, what the admission requirements are and your chances. You certainly sound like a good candidate and perhaps some schools will be willing to overlook the science gpa.

I have a 3.6 gpa overall and 3.3 gpa for science. A 33S on the MCAT. I work for the world known R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center. The only shock trauma center in the world. I have plenty of volunteer experience in both clinical and non-clinical (community service). I have done research with Johns Hopkins Hospital and worked as a medical assistant in nuclear medicine for radiology clinics. I have leadership experience as well. My major will be a b.s. in INDS for integrative medicine and international health care. The languages I speak include english, hindi, punjabi, malayalam, spanish, arabic, and some farsi. It is actually a hobby for me to learn new languages and I am currently working on mandarin chinese. Unfortunately, because of my low science gpa I am unable to get into a US medical school. Also even if I did, I most likely will not be able to pay for it or get loans. I know that non-us medical schools are usually cheaper to attend.

I would still suggest applying to US medical schools. The science gpa is low, but not horrible.

What are the top 10 NON-US medical schools in the world for people who would like to come back to the US to complete residency. If there is no actual ranking then just name what you think are the top medical schools in the world that would be highly recognized by the US. I understand I can easily go to Caribbean medical schools, but I am wondering if there are medical schools better then those. I would like to come back to the US and specialize in something with critical care medicine or even anesthesiology.

Thanks!
Try Sackler School of Medicine at Tel Aviv University in Israel. They have an English program chartered by SUNY. If you have no qualms with doing your residency in New York, you will match very well. They've been around for over 30 years and the tuition is much lower than most of the Caribbean schools, but more expensive than US state schools.

I'm also interested in responses to the original question....

Assuming that you have all the credentials, but just want to go abroad, what are the best Foreign medical schools?

The poster above mentioned the Isreali schools...anything else?

British schools

Very late timing in terms of replying, I know, but a few people here do not have their facts right.

a.) You could definitely apply to a graduate program in the UK and get in, and they're amazing schools. I'm currently an american attending the University of Edinburgh who's particularly interested in medicine and has lived with 6 different medics (and dated a few others!). Edinburgh is one of the best medical schools in the world, and the programs they offer at the university are often expensive, but still cheaper than many US options (I chose to come to Edinburgh instead of BU because it was over half the price for the same, if not better Education). It depends on where you apply though. Ireland also has an US/Ireland program, which might be a good link for you?

b.) The UK puts a HUGE emphasis on community service. The majority of their students here don't have any laboratory experience or bachelors degrees, so the fact that you have those as well as community service is a plus.

c.) It's super easy to apply to British Schools. There's just one application, personal statement and reference to fill out and one cheap payment (compared to the $100 per application in the states). The only downside is they limit how many schools you can apply too, so choose wisely if you do!

Don't let other people put you off, British universities outrank a lot of American ones on an international scale, and that includes medicine.

Hope I'm not super late and good luck!

Very late timing in terms of replying, I know, but a few people here do not have their facts right.

a.) You could definitely apply to a graduate program in the UK and get in, and they're amazing schools. I'm currently an american attending the University of Edinburgh who's particularly interested in medicine and has lived with 6 different medics (and dated a few others!). Edinburgh is one of the best medical schools in the world, and the programs they offer at the university are often expensive, but still cheaper than many US options (I chose to come to Edinburgh instead of BU because it was over half the price for the same, if not better Education). It depends on where you apply though. Ireland also has an US/Ireland program, which might be a good link for you?

b.) The UK puts a HUGE emphasis on community service. The majority of their students here don't have any laboratory experience or bachelors degrees, so the fact that you have those as well as community service is a plus.

c.) It's super easy to apply to British Schools. There's just one application, personal statement and reference to fill out and one cheap payment (compared to the $100 per application in the states). The only downside is they limit how many schools you can apply too, so choose wisely if you do!

Don't let other people put you off, British universities outrank a lot of American ones on an international scale, and that includes medicine.

Hope I'm not super late and good luck!

What's the US/Ireland program you mentioned? Also I think if someone wanted to eventually practice in the US and was deciding between BU med and University of Edinburgh, BU would be the better choice even though Edinburgh has a better international reputation.

How does Australian medical schools do compared to US or UK/Ireland or Israel?

Also, I know that you can take US federal loans for some schools in Australia, such as the University of Sydney, University of Queensland, and Flinders. What about schools in England? Are there any US loans that I can apply for if I choose to go there in the very near future?

The application for Irish medical schools can be found on the Atlantic Bridge Program's website

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/med/index.htm

You can find more information about those schools and most other reputable foreign schools at:

www.valuemd.com

I have been researching heavily on foreign schools so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me

Also look into the English programs at Hungarian medical schools.

I don't think a list of the best non-US medical schools would be a bad idea. Not all foreign medical schools were created equal, after all...but sometimes it feels like all IMGs are lumped together. I went to a foreign school I consider top notch, but it really seems like an IMG is an IMG...

Being an IMG royally sucks. If you can get into a U.S. med school, do it. Don't go to a foreign medical school even if it is really good. I learned that the hard way. Screw you to hell, IMG status!

That's not true. The only people who lump IMG's together are the students on this forum, who want to maintain an air of exclusivity, but conveniently leave out some of the top universities in the world in Europe. Don't worry; if you go to a world-ranked university, the people in the know will get it.

I also know people who did go to European schools, including ones in Hungary, went back to the US, no problems, and have top jobs at some of the top facilities and medical schools in the country, including JH, Mayo, Harvard, Columbia, and NYU-Cornell.

I worry that this is not an accurate representation of training today.

It is certainly true that not all IMG schools are created equal. Some are more highly regarded than others.

However, it is also true that being an IMG, regardless of school, will limit your options of fields / programs. Yes, I'm sure there are leaders in medicine who are from top international schools, but this is complicated by the fact that 1) they trained many years ago, and the world has changed since then; and 2) just because one person from school X has "made it big" doesn't mean that many others will also.

This is not to suggest that training in international schools is not equal (or perhaps even superior to) US training. It's just that as competition for spots increases, US grads are likely to have a large advantage.

There is no way to make a list of which international schools are "best". There is no international ranking system of schools. PD's often use gut instinct -- if they've had students from that school before who have done well, or if those students rotate through their school (or some other local school), then they are more willing to take a risk on them. Hence, if you polled PD's, I expect you'd find that everyone's list of "best IMG school" is different.

I worry that this is not an accurate representation of training today.

It is certainly true that not all IMG schools are created equal. Some are more highly regarded than others.

However, it is also true that being an IMG, regardless of school, will limit your options of fields / programs. Yes, I'm sure there are leaders in medicine who are from top international schools, but this is complicated by the fact that 1) they trained many years ago, and the world has changed since then; and 2) just because one person from school X has "made it big" doesn't mean that many others will also.

This is not to suggest that training in international schools is not equal (or perhaps even superior to) US training. It's just that as competition for spots increases, US grads are likely to have a large advantage.

There is no way to make a list of which international schools are "best". There is no international ranking system of schools. PD's often use gut instinct -- if they've had students from that school before who have done well, or if those students rotate through their school (or some other local school), then they are more willing to take a risk on them. Hence, if you polled PD's, I expect you'd find that everyone's list of "best IMG school" is different.

CONFUSED older student any advice please?