Top MPH programs in US or other countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krevelli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are considered to be the top mph programs out there? Also, what program in say the UK or Australia correspond to the MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

Krevelli,

Can't really address the second question - have you tried asking it in the international forum? i'm sure that someone there will know.

As far as the best MPH programs, you could go by US News and World Report's arbitrary listing (which is what we all seem to do anyway), and you would find the top three programs to be JHU, Harvard (only takes folks with terminal degrees), & UNC Chapel Hill. Seems fitting. But I think the best measure is to find the program that fits you best, that gets the students results, and that has the best research opportunities (which is probably why the aformentioned are the top three). Are you looking to get experience while studying, or are you looking for a program that will link you directly to job opportunities following grad school? These are important things that will help you to honestly rank the schools according to your own needs.

H&T

anybody know what the current "Top 10" are according to US News?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Heal&Teach
Krevelli,

Can't really address the second question - have you tried asking it in the international forum? i'm sure that someone there will know.

As far as the best MPH programs, you could go by US News and World Report's arbitrary listing (which is what we all seem to do anyway), and you would find the top three programs to be JHU, Harvard (only takes folks with terminal degrees), & UNC Chapel Hill. Seems fitting. But I think the best measure is to find the program that fits you best, that gets the students results, and that has the best research opportunities (which is probably why the aformentioned are the top three). Are you looking to get experience while studying, or are you looking for a program that will link you directly to job opportunities following grad school? These are important things that will help you to honestly rank the schools according to your own needs.

H&T

So what are the majors in publichealth that would directly link to job opportunities after grad school? What type of jobs would they be?

Originally posted by wingy
So what are the majors in publichealth that would directly link to job opportunities after grad school? What type of jobs would they be?

I wouldn't look for specific majors per se... but I would look at the employment history of the students at particular schools and support in finding jobs. You can probably ask the student advocate in the department of interest about where students have placed in terms of employment. For example, the Master of Health Service Administration program has a heavy focus on getting their students placed in administrative fellowships with major hospitals. My department, health behavior and health education, sent out e-mails about jobs, but didn't necessarily walk us through the process.

So, if you were interested in something like Environmental Health, you might want to contact the schools you're applying to and see what kinds of job opportunities their students have obtained following graduation.

As far as rankings are concerned, you've got to pay that $10 to get the online access to USNews. From what I remember (when the rankings lists were a top ten instead of a top three), other schools included were Michigan, Minnesota, Pitt, BU & Columbia.

Originally posted by Adcadet
anybody know what the current "Top 10" are according to US News?
Rank/School Average assessment score (5 = highest)
1. Johns Hopkins University (MD) 4.9
2. Harvard University (MA) 4.7
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill 4.7
4. University of Washington 4.5
5. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor 4.2
6. Columbia University (NY) 3.9
7. University of California--Berkeley 3.7
University of California--Los Angeles 3.7
9. Emory University (GA) 3.6
10. University of Minnesota--Twin Cities 3.5
11. University of Pittsburgh 3.4
12. University of Texas--Houston Health Sciences Center 3.2
13. Boston University 3.1
Yale University (CT) 3.1
15. University of Alabama--Birmingham 3.0
16. Tulane University (LA) 2.9
University of Illinois--Chicago 2.9
18. St. Louis University 2.5
University of Iowa 2.5
University of Massachusetts--Amherst 2.5
University of South Carolina 2.5

Originally posted by DW
Rank/School Average assessment score (5 = highest)
1. Johns Hopkins University (MD) 4.9
2. Harvard University (MA) 4.7
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill 4.7
4. University of Washington 4.5
5. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor 4.2
6. Columbia University (NY) 3.9
7. University of California--Berkeley 3.7
University of California--Los Angeles 3.7
9. Emory University (GA) 3.6
10. University of Minnesota--Twin Cities 3.5
11. University of Pittsburgh 3.4
12. University of Texas--Houston Health Sciences Center 3.2
13. Boston University 3.1
Yale University (CT) 3.1
15. University of Alabama--Birmingham 3.0
16. Tulane University (LA) 2.9
University of Illinois--Chicago 2.9
18. St. Louis University 2.5
University of Iowa 2.5
University of Massachusetts--Amherst 2.5
University of South Carolina 2.5

Be careful when interpreting these rankings. They are often based less on objective data and more on subjective interpretations of a school's status. Two variables used in deriving these rankings are "amount of grant funding" and "peer assessment." Whether these variables reflect a school's quality of education and research is open to question.

An MPH program for a school usually has several departments (biostats, epi, behavioral, environ, policy management, etc). Different schools have their strengths and weaknesses, so the best thing to do is talk to current students about their experience in their department. The location of the school is important as well as you will probably want to work while in school (some schools discourage working part time, but others encourage it). What are the job opportunities available in the school's city? What kind of perks does your school offer? The school I went to had faculty dinners, wine and cheese events, travel stipends for internships, etc. Talk to as many current students as you can. That's key!

Not too sure about Aussies, but for schools in the UK, you definitely want to look at:

*London School of Tropical Health and Hygiene. They have wonderful international faculty that have worked EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE. Very strong tropical diseases/medical anthropology. Academically rigorous, since we are talking about the British System - offer just about every degree you can think of: MPH, DrPH, MSc, PhD, and lots of certificate/diploma programs
* Leeds University also has a strong public health inclination, and linked with a very good medical school
* If you are more into Health Economics/Health Policy, Cambrige has a very good MSc program, though it isnt an MPH...Not too sure about the other stuff.
* Oxford has a WHO collaborating center for vaccine development and trials and of course, offer all the other public health traditional degrees you could imagine
* List would not be complete if I didnt mention Liverpool.

In my opinion, these five would be in the Harvard/Hopkins/UMich/Tulane/Emory bracket for public health training in the UK

BTW, if I were to choose between UK and Aussie schools, I would choose Aussie schools. You have a wider range for networking (Africa/Asia/Pacific/Middle East/even Latin America). If you go to Aussie, youre pretty much stuck with SE Asia

POINT OF NOTE: I am a student at JHSPH, and only had a bachelors. If you have had work experience and have solid MCATs (yes, I used my MCATS) and/or GREs, and a kick-ass essay, you have a chance. HSPH is not half as stuck up as the other school on the coast, and it shows through in the admissions process. Pretty relaxed, inviting....My 2cents for all its worth.

Not too sure about Aussies, but for schools in the UK, you definitely want to look at:

*London School of Tropical Health and Hygiene. They have wonderful international faculty that have worked EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE. Very strong tropical diseases/medical anthropology. Academically rigorous, since we are talking about the British System - offer just about every degree you can think of: MPH, DrPH, MSc, PhD, and lots of certificate/diploma programs
* Leeds University also has a strong public health inclination, and linked with a very good medical school
* If you are more into Health Economics/Health Policy, Cambrige has a very good MSc program, though it isnt an MPH...Not too sure about the other stuff.
* Oxford has a WHO collaborating center for vaccine development and trials and of course, offer all the other public health traditional degrees you could imagine
* List would not be complete if I didnt mention Liverpool.

In my opinion, these five would be in the Harvard/Hopkins/UMich/Tulane/Emory bracket for public health training in the UK

BTW, if I were to choose between UK and Aussie schools, I would choose Aussie schools. You have a wider range for networking (Africa/Asia/Pacific/Middle East/even Latin America). If you go to Aussie, youre pretty much stuck with SE Asia

POINT OF NOTE: I am a student at JHSPH, and only had a bachelors. If you have had work experience and have solid MCATs (yes, I used my MCATS) and/or GREs, and a kick-ass essay, you have a chance. HSPH is not half as stuck up as the other school on the coast, and it shows through in the admissions process. Pretty relaxed, inviting....My 2cents for all its worth.

South Carolina made the list!:clap:

(BTW it's now the Arnold School of Public Health bc this State does squat for public education and is starting to rely more on generous people like The Great Norman J. Arnold, sincerely)

To vaguely address the OP's question:

I'm so happy, though SC should be much higher ranked. I say that bc if you pick a disease or ailment (other than perhaps hanta or frostbite), SC is likely ranked in the top 10 for incidence/prevalence rates. This is "fertile research country," but getting funded here is a real b!tch. That's partly why I'm going to MS. I'd like to remain and practice preventive med / clinical epi in SC, and I know MD's have far more control of their location than PhD's. Also, (some may not agree) but research funding is a lot easier to come by.+pity+

I almost forgot - A much larger Public Health Building is under construction. It will surely have a positive influence on faculty and student selection and these rankings.

South Carolina University has 2.5 point and they earn this point an not more. Ask me where from I know this:) . I am studying in the MHA program of university of South Carolina.

I am not delighted with MHA program in South Carolina. :( They have this entire wonderful staff like building and parks but their program is awful.

First period, all their classes are in the early evening or late in the evening. Everybody so tired, came, and waited when they can leave the classes.

Second, the classes are boring. This seems for me that I am not on the serious lesson but on the club meeting where some people gathered and decided to talk a little bit about health system. They discussed staff, which they concerned, but it does not have any connection with real world and entire system. On the other hand, it is connect with private life of the person and his family.

You even do not need to prepare for classes, just came and begin talk about something, that is it, and you will get “A” grade. On the other hand, I came here not for “A” grade or for pleasure to talk with people but to receive some knowledge.

Third, I do not see any academic advantages from this program. For me it seems like “Let us make a little algebra”. You make a little algebra which seems has no connection with real problems. Just a little algebra but you cannot use it with some research projects. Another example, we were spending one term (5 months) to learn five chapters for financial accounting classes. Five chapters!!! One term!!! :confused:

To study in South Carolina MHA program is just wasting time and money. I am just eating and sleeping the whole day and visit in the evening classes to talk a little bit about some pleasure staff. And that’s it. If this is your goal welcome to South Carolina.:D

You can say why I do not prepare myself and read the book. I do but what reason to study in the university if I study myself. :eek: