Top Integrated CT Surgery Programs - 2017 Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Top Integrated CT Surgery Programs

• UPENN

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Columbia

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Stanford

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

ctsurgeonlifer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
These rankings are based on the final product of each institution. It is my belief that three things contribute primarily to this: 1) autonomy 2) surgical volume and 3) surgical complexity.

Top tier:
1. UPENN - Undisputed power house. Dr. Acker continues to get his choice of the top 1-2 candidates. Most accomplished "stable" of residents. Volume, autonomy, and complexity. Strong, stable leadership. Has not graduated a true I6 yet, however, after two years fellows are best in country.
2. Columbia - Very impressive graduates. Well trained. Tremendous volume and autonomy. Do a lot of CABGs. True CVI model --> strong cath experience.
3. Stanford - Historical powerhouse. Experiencing resurrection under leadership of Dr. Woo. Unparalleled academic opportunities. Early operative exposure. High degree of complexity. Volume is not as great as Penn or Columbia. Now appears to be taking three residents/year - unclear how this will impact the experience in final years of training.

Second tier:
USC, Michigan (particular for peds training), UVA, Duke

Up and coming:
MGH - *4+3. Under leadership of Thor Sundt is becoming a great training program.

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking as someone with absolutely no basis to compare it, who hasn't been there in 10 years, who was only there as an intern, with no interest at all in CT surgery...

Uva has a legit CT program.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello .. I am Dr harsha.. completed my mch cts recently. Want to know about fellowship programmes .. interested in pediatrics.. complex congenital cardiac diseases. Can you please help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello .. I am Dr harsha.. completed my mch cts recently. Want to know about fellowship programmes .. interested in pediatrics.. complex congenital cardiac diseases. Can you please help

So have you finished a CT Surgery training program or are you a Medical Student (Accepted)?

Reactions: 2 users

I am also unclear what your training status is, however, the list of good congenital fellowships is even shorter than for I6 programs:

Boston Children's & Del Nido > Michigan > and Stanford & Hanley > CHOP & Spray.

Ultimately, though the operative experience at Boston Children's is not stellar you will be in as good a position for a job as any based on reputation alone. Michigan might be the best operative training. Stanford grads have secured decent jobs in the last few years. Less familiar with CHOP, however hear their operative experience is poor.

Speaking as someone with absolutely no basis to compare it, who hasn't been there in 10 years, who was only there as an intern, with no interest at all in CT surgery...

Uva has a very legitimate CT program.

Absolutely agree with this. Great group of residents and a fantastic training program. The reason it did not make my top 3 is that Dr. Kron essentially defines the program and I wouldn't be surprised if he was near to retirement, partially due to illness. Therefore UVAs future is a bit unknown.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your advice sir. Can I have your email address..?

Ultimately, though the operative experience at Boston Children's is not stellar you will be in as good a position for a job as any based on reputation alone. Michigan might be the best operative training. Stanford grads have secured decent jobs in the last few years. Less familiar with CHOP, however hear their operative experience is poor

Ultimately, though the operative experience at Boston Children's is not stellar you will be in as good a position for a job as any based on reputation alone. Michigan might be the best operative training. Stanford grads have secured decent jobs in the last few years. Less familiar with CHOP, however hear their operative experience is poor
We discourage requesting emails from other users due to potential risks involved. Users are welcome to use the private message ("conversations") option here on SDN and can choose to share emails if they so desire.

Finally, you seem to profess a lot of knowledge about US CTS programs despite being out of the country/having trained outside the US. Can you elaborate please?

I assume you're a foreign-trained CT surgeon? A quick google search reveals there are a few places offering "international" fellowships for congenital/paediatric CT surgery.
Boston Children's
Toronto SickKids
Royal Children's Melbourne

I can't post the link for each programme. However, it should be easily Googled using keywords such as "international paediatric cardiac surgery fellowship".
Also, I doubt anyone here is familiar with these "international" fellowships. In any case, instead of asking for someone's personal e-mail address on this anonymous message board, you'd be better off contacting those programmes directly.

We discourage requesting emails from other users due to potential risks involved. Users are welcome to use the private message ("conversations") option here on SDN and can choose to share emails if they so desire.

Finally, you seem to profess a lot of knowledge about US CTS programs despite being out of the country/having trained outside the US. Can you elaborate please?

It was quoted from the previous poster, WS. @ bolded

I am also unclear what your training status is, however, the list of good congenital fellowships is even shorter than for I6 programs:

Boston Children's & Del Nido > Michigan > and Stanford & Hanley > CHOP & Spray.

Ultimately, though the operative experience at Boston Children's is not stellar you will be in as good a position for a job as any based on reputation alone. Michigan might be the best operative training. Stanford grads have secured decent jobs in the last few years. Less familiar with CHOP, however hear their operative experience is poor.

Now, onto my question... Which programmes are the best for complex thoracic aortic training? Which ones have the highest aortic cases? UPenn, definitely. Anywhere else?

Last edited:
I assume you're a foreign-trained CT surgeon? A quick google search reveals there are a few places offering "international" fellowships for congenital/paediatric CT surgery.
Boston Children's
Toronto SickKids

I can't post the link for each programme. However, it should be easily Googled using keywords such as "international paediatric cardiac surgery fellowship".
Also, I doubt anyone here is familiar with these "international" fellowships. In any case, instead of asking for someone's personal e-mail address on this anonymous message board, you'd be better off contacting those programmes directly.

Now, onto my question... Which programmes are the best for complex thoracic aortic training? Which ones have the highest aortic cases? UPenn, definitely. Anywhere else?

I'm not sure what your point is here.

I was responding to a user who is posting from outside the US, who is stating an opinion about US CTS programs but is listened as a medical student so I was 1) asking them to clarify their training experience as it helps others judge what they're posting and 2) to discourage asking users for their private emails.

I'm confused about your comment.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure what your point is here.

I was responding to a user who is posting from outside the US, who is stating an opinion about US CTS programs but is listened as a medical student so I was 1) asking them to clarify their training experience as it helps others judge what they're posting and 2) to discourage asking users for their private emails.

I'm confused about your comment.

The confusion is because @insurrectionist isn't stating an opinion, merely quoting a post from @ctsurgeonlifer

The bottom of the post in which the email is requested is a quote, just minus the formatting of reply where it quotes the original author and attributes them.

The confusion is because @insurrectionist isn't stating an opinion, merely quoting a post from @ctsurgeonlifer

The bottom of the post in which the email is requested is a quote, just minus the formatting of reply where it quotes the original author and attributes them.
Ah...got it. I see what you were talking about.

Carry on!

These rankings are based on the final product of each institution. It is my belief that three things contribute primarily to this: 1) autonomy 2) surgical volume and 3) surgical complexity.

Top tier:
1. UPENN - Undisputed power house. Dr. Acker continues to get his choice of the top 1-2 candidates. Most accomplished "stable" of residents. Volume, autonomy, and complexity. Strong, stable leadership. Has not graduated a true I6 yet, however, after two years fellows are best in country.
2. Columbia - Very impressive graduates. Well trained. Tremendous volume and autonomy. Do a lot of CABGs. True CVI model --> strong cath experience.
3. Stanford - Historical powerhouse. Experiencing resurrection under leadership of Dr. Woo. Unparalleled academic opportunities. Early operative exposure. High degree of complexity. Volume is not as great as Penn or Columbia. Now appears to be taking three residents/year - unclear how this will impact the experience in final years of training.

Second tier:

Up and coming:
MGH - *4+3. Under leadership of Thor Sundt is becoming a great training program.

what about CCF? Seems like the best Cardiac Surgery program in the country for the last thirsty years would be Top tier

Top tier:

Second tier:

Up and coming:

Volume has always been a major topic of discussion on the interview trail. I would just make sure there's appropriate volume. It doesn't matter if there are 5 rooms running if there are only two residents, because that means 60% of the volume is non-teaching. You don't benefit from the case you aren't in.

Boston Children's
Toronto SickKids

Be aware that super fellows (aortic and transplant/VAD) may be taking cases away from the residents at some of these programs. You'll have to look into it to find out.

Top tier:

Second tier:

Up and coming:

How can a program that has not graduated a true I6 yet be considered the best in the country? Especially when you are saying that your rankings are based on the "final product of each institution," as you put it?

Reactions: 4 users
I think many I6 programs have their own respective strengths and weaknesses. I would be leary of associating a name with the quality of training one gets. The best way is to contact each program specifically and ask for numbers. If you have a chance to interview at a program, ask residents to see case logs. Traditional "power-houses" have changed over the years. See the track record programs have for graduating and board-certifying residents.

Lastly, what constitutes being a "best fellow" in the country? Number of publications? I know fellows and residents at many "second tier" programs that are technically superb with sound clinical judgement. Just an interesting comment.