Top Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superwuwu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what is your top choice of medical school and why? Regardless of whether you applied there or not.

O yeah, i wanted to set up a poll but cauldn't figure out how to set it up. Feel free to do so... if you want.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, we could set up something like the acceptance/interview/rejection threads that we all can add to.

I'll start with a school that I didn't care too much for before I interviewed but after interviewing, I am completely sold on New Pathways. I probably don't have much of a chance of getting in but I can dream, can't I?

Harvard - bigbaubdi

stanford - my girl is in palo alto

Members don't see this ad :)
UPenn----1.5 years of basic science/early clinical rotations is one of my many reasons for loving this place :love:

At this point in the process...

yale - kwanny

Hopkins and WashU

Have interviewed and been accepted to both. There are so many different things that i like about each school. I guess i will give WashU a slight edge because i am dating someone pretty seriously and he can't relocate.

I think I like too many schools at this point. Money is fast becoming a factor though. 250K worth of debt is a scary thing.

<------- Wishes he was a trust fund baby.

tf

My goals are not nearly as lofty as many of you

I'll be happy with Drew/UCLA, NU, or MSSM

I am joining Felipe to say UPenn no doubt! The early clinical exposure, affiliation with CHOP (I want to specialize in pediatrics), flexibility of the program, many options for clinical rotations abroad, research opportunities, volunteering opportunities with children and free clinics, phenomenal curriculum composed greatly of small group discussions with limited lecture, and great student environment with the medical school in proximity of the undergrad campus and other grad schools! I can go on for days! What can I say? I love UPenn! :love: :love: :clap:

Yale :love: - for the Yale System (I like the mostly lecture/ only you know your grades/ thesis requirement combination a lot), being part of a large, diverse graduate student community, and the facilities

UWSOM. It's close, it's cheap and the women are attractive and hey, who wouldn't want to be a "husky"

umm...NYU, Pitt, or Columbia? I'm not sure about UMich anymore.

Of the ones I haven't interviewed at yet: maybe JHU?

Keck/USC is my first choice...

County Hospital rocks - the CT surgeons there saved my dad's life. I'd love to do my rotations at County - lots of hands-on experience, early clinical exposure, new curriculum that boosted Boards (Okay, now I sound like Jalby...)

LA's my hometown and I hope to stay put.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm gonna aim REAL high here... STONY BROOK! i went there for ugrad and i never thought i would say i want to go back, but i would love to be miserable with my boyfriend while he studies for his PhD...

Dream schools: Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF

Top schools (attainable): NYU, Northwestern, Pitt

Top choices where I actually applied: MSSM and Emory. Emory doesn't look likely though...no interview yet :(

Ideal world: Columbia or Cornell

Yale or Columbia for me.

-Ice

USUHS was my first choice, and that's where I am going.:hardy:

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
Well, we could set up something like the acceptance/interview/rejection threads that we all can add to.

I'll start with a school that I didn't care too much for before I interviewed but after interviewing, I am completely sold on New Pathways. I probably don't have much of a chance of getting in but I can dream, can't I?

Harvard - bigbaubdi

Word, I am in the same boat.

Head over Heels for HMS.

Coops

I was just at Stanford today and I was pretty damn impressed... so my first choice is a tie between Cornell and Stanford now....

Cornell -- The PBL curriculum, weekly Medicine-Patients-Society course, the study abroad opportunities all make this school so great! Not to mention it's in NYC! :clap:

(Maybe it'll be Harvard if I get in;)

Rochester--

Double Helix curriculum, happy students, beautiful facilities, extensive int'l research opps, elective humanities courses and ability as a student to serve on the hospital ethics committee.

I'd still like to check out Dartmouth, if they ever give me an interview.

I think my top choices will be a list, especially in this part of the process. Out of the ones I interviewed at:

Stanford, Columbia, Northwestern, Emory, and UCLA

Rochester and UPitt

early clinical experience and integrated curriculum as well as very strong basic sciences...plus, my fiancee lives in Buffalo and goes to school in Saratoga Springs, NY; i want to be within a days travel.
we'll have to see tho...here's hoping!

out of the schools that havent rejected me...

UCLA.

Though its not in the Bay Area, the med school is good, med center is good, K-town and Santa Monica close by and close enough to home just incase there is some emergency with my family that I need to tend to.

Columbia or Cleveland Clinic (both were impressive but in different ways)

Sorry to tell you this but, when you go to med school, you will realize that no one wants to do clinical at a county hosp. Do you see Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF matchlist filled with county hosps, like alameda county? Hands-on experience will let you see some things, but too busy and too much automony means less teaching and more scutwork. You will find out most county hosps and usc are not well-desired clinical settings for med students or residents (do a search). Dont kid yourself. (how do you like that jalby?)

Originally posted by emily69
Keck/USC is my first choice...

County Hospital rocks - the CT surgeons there saved my dad's life. I'd love to do my rotations at County - lots of hands-on experience, early clinical exposure, new curriculum that boosted Boards (Okay, now I sound like Jalby...)

LA's my hometown and I hope to stay put.

Dartmouth/Rochester

I like Dartmouth a little more. Rochester's much more convenient. In the end it all evens out. I'd be very happy at either one.

Originally posted by cbc
(how do you like that jalby?)

He's a great guy who has tons of usefull information. If anything, he knows to much information and gets in trouble for sharing what people don't want to hear. He also knows (the quite obvious) reason why there is a difference between UCSF/Harvard, etc, etc and USC in thier match lists.

Why dont you read with your eyes opened? How did I get in trouble? I never said there is difference between those institutions and usc. I said, look at those institutions matchlists and see how many of them go to "any" county hospital for residency. All I am saying is, candidates from top med schools will never go to a county hospital, because county hospital in general dont teach and give scutwork. Did I imply compare usc's matchlist with another med school? NO.

Originally posted by Jalby
He's a great guy who has tons of usefull information. If anything, he knows to much information and gets in trouble for sharing what people don't want to hear. He also knows (the quite obvious) reason why there is a difference between UCSF/Harvard, etc, etc and USC in thier match lists.

JEFFERSON-

Such a supportive environment, and easily the most connected and dedicated network of alumni and students. Best clinical resources on the east coast (except maybe Einstein), a grand tradition, THE place for several great specialties, student participation in the ER, block instruction, and on and on...

did I mention lots of scholarships available?

Still, it's in a dead heat with P&S and MSSM (with AECOM worth mentioning) as the place I'll choose.

USC is totally my first choice. There's some amazing stuff happening there with HIV/AIDS research and patient care...and someday I totally want to be part of it.

Duke for me.

Early clinical experience, amazing facilities, supportive environment, wonderful students and faculty, and the flexible third year make Duke the place to be for me.

Originally posted by trudub
Duke for me.

Early clinical experience, amazing facilities, supportive environment, wonderful students and faculty, and the flexible third year make Duke the place to be for me.

I agree, for me it would be Duke as well.

Out of the ones I've applied to my top choice is Robert Wood Johnson.

Great thread guys! :clap:

I would have to go with MCG for the faculty, locals, and location (not too much going on in Augusta to distract me).:thumbup:

Originally posted by cbc
Sorry to tell you this but, when you go to med school, you will realize that no one wants to do clinical at a county hosp. Do you see Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF matchlist filled with county hosps, like alameda county? Hands-on experience will let you see some things, but too busy and too much automony means less teaching and more scutwork. You will find out most county hosps and usc are not well-desired clinical settings for med students or residents (do a search). Dont kid yourself. (how do you like that jalby?)

You don't know what you're talking about. This is obviously just about some grudge you have against Jalby. I know many people that would love to do their clinical at a county hospital, including myself. I am really interested in providing health care for the underserved and playing a big role in their treatment. I fell in love with LA county and everything the faculty had to say about it. Your argument has no logic:

"Hands-on experience will let you see some things, but too busy and too much automony means less teaching and more scutwork"

I don't know about you, but I learn things better the more I practice them. If learning more procedures and being more actively involved means more scutwork, that I am willing to do more scutwork. Just because a lot of students from top med schools don't choose county, doesn't mean they don't provide good clinical training. I probably won't want to do my residency at a county hospital, but I would love to learn as much as I could in all of my rotations at a county hospital.

with that said, UCSF, UCLA and USC are my first choices, in that order. I was more impressed by USC than UCLA, but UCLA's tuition is very appealing and I am convinced that it's more about the student than the school.

Holy moly... I feel like I pushed a couple of sore buttons by mentioning why I want to go to Keck. Anyway, my thanks to those countering the dude (or girl's) earlier comments.

In my experience talking with Keck students (not just Jalby), they LOVE the fact that they get to work/learn at County beginning their first year. Also, some medstudents at schools w/o a high-traffic hospital like County have told me that they had to supplement their lack of intense clinical training by volunteering at free clinics and such. I have not conducted a "search" on this topic b/c I think I'd rather TALK to people than rely on the internet for a summarized version of opinions.

I think I'd learn better by seeing-practicing than learning things theoretically. Being exposed to a diverse patient population (in a place like County) is a great asset in getting lots of exposure to different/challenging situations.

I will worry about matching maybe next year when I feel it's drawing closer...

Wow, I just went to the UC tuition thread and this cbc guy has a lot of animosity for Jalby. I wonder if Jalby killed his mother or something.

That's funny. I guess I unknowingly touched on a sore spot!
I guess that discredits some of his statements if they were in fact based on animosities.

UCSD location location location. I own my home here and hope to attend locally. (to dream the impossible dream.....) The fact that it is an academically top ranked school has something to do with it too. :cool:

Originally posted by snowbear
Wow, I just went to the UC tuition thread and this cbc guy has a lot of animosity for Jalby. I wonder if Jalby killed his mother or something.

Hey....I like your sig! Hey Ya!

"shake it like a Polaroid Picture, shake it, shake it" (I love how he annunciates "it")

Originally posted by snowbear

It was actually his dog.

I actually think I know who this person is. One of my former student at UCLA who prolly doesn't like me starting when he got the grade that he deserved. The sad thing is, I was helping him write his letters to get off the waitlist up until the last day of school.

I am very early in the game...I have about 2 more years before applying but here is a list and reasons for some of my schools...Some I don't have reasons for yet, maybe you guys can help?

Stanford-very family oriented, can have my kid in med school, not too bad on loans for a private school, full cadaver anatomy, research, and hey the name of course :)

UC Davis- Which I am very surprised no one wants? It is close to me, very family oriented itself. Mostly though, really good teaching hospital, which is also the county hospital for Sacramento..hmmm....I don't like how small the school is though and I would like to find out more about the anatomy program.

UCSF-I Love San Fran, but I also love this campus, everything seems to come with a great view, and there is so much comaridie (sorry for spelling)...I also love how you start with patients your first year. It keeps things in prospective. Hey you have to love the 13th floor anatomy too huh :) Very family oriented too with family living for 660 compared to Stanfords 1144.

Those are the three schools I have really focused on, of course I will be applying to all CA schools though.

Back East:
Harvard (I can dream :)
Boston University
NYC schools
John Hopkins

Southwest:
Midwestern Arizona, this is the only DO school I am applying to, I thought why put all my eggs in one spot :) and I do have some family there as well.

If you guys have any good reasons or bad for the ones I picked HELP! would greatly appreciate it.

You talked to USC administrators and students. Of course you will here those positive answers. No one from that institution is going to say, yeah usc stinks, the only reason why I'm here is because of california. It's good to talk to people, but if you are going to talk to them, you're not going to get the full story. You wont get the full story from me either, so that's why I suggested you search around. If you like full hands-on autonomy, scutwork, and the full 80 hrs/wk, then county is what you want. But if you want more teaching, relaxed environment, and prestige so you can increase your chances of doing a fellowship, then it's not. I mean, why else do you think opthamology and dermatology are the most competitive residencies? They're not even the highest pay specialties. Answer is lifestyle. You wont get that lifestyle at county. How is this based on animosity? It's a well known fact and you will get it all in medical school and general residency forums. I'm not lying one bit.

Originally posted by emily69
That's funny. I guess I unknowingly touched on a sore spot!
I guess that discredits some of his statements if they were in fact based on animosities.

Doesn't depend on what you pick to do as well? For example, UCD, their teaching hospital is also the county hospital, and for the doctors in what I want to do, ER, they work 12 hrs. and go home. True, it is not the best pay, but again like my quote says, there are some who are meant to be doctors and others who are meant to be CEO's.....I have to say I wouldn't mind working in a county hospital, you really get to see it all.

Wow, someone would actually ask you to write him/her a letter of rec? Some stupidity there.

Yeah I'm probably that person. Wait, I just remembered, I wasnt even in your lab course. You subbed in once though and I got to experience first hand what ppl were saying about you in your lab. Man, I guess thinking back, when I was on waitlist, I probably needed all the help I could, but I doubt a letter from you.

You still havent realized that, you started a thread baggin on other cali schools for reasons I still cant think of (other than jealousy or insecurity?). And then you're surprised that the only reason usc is now gettin bagged on is because others are doing what you did to them: trash talk.

Originally posted by Jalby
It was actually his dog.

I actually think I know who this person is. One of my former student at UCLA who prolly doesn't like me starting when he got the grade that he deserved. The sad thing is, I was helping him write his letters to get off the waitlist up until the last day of school.

chill out, man. All I wanted to say was that Keck is my first choice school for this and that reason and that's IT. cbc's comments will not make me change my mind. Period. End of story.

If something's gonna change my mind it will be after my interview.

I think this argument is going nowhere b/c it's becoming personal.
Ergo, I am disregarding all the stuff cbc is saying about schools with lots of 'scutwork' or whatever.

I don't care much for derm, basic science research, or "prestige".
My derm doctor at Stanford Hospital and Clinics has a great 9-5 "lifestyle" with great pay. But all she does mostly is prescribe zit medications for the most part to teenagers with PPO plans, with wealthy enough parents to afford a 20 dollar prescription to clindamycin or differin or acutuane. I am one of those patients, when I occasionally break out.