took Step 1/2 several years back...advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CandyLand2020

Reaction score
Hello all

looking for advice. I took and did pretty well on Step1 and Step 2 roughly 9 years ago. I didn't go directly to residency but now am in a non IM heavy residency program (think rads). How would you approach Step 3 and it is possible to pass this beast so far out? I know UWORLD and possibly Kaplan notes. Anyone else pass step 3 that faced a similar story?
would really appreciate it!

thank you
L

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. Did very well on Step 1 and Step 2 and am taking Step 3 towards the end of a five year residency. My residency is clinical heavy, but it is a pediatrics-based subspecialty and therefore not very useful for Step 3. I have only taken the first day of Step 3 so far, and it was a beast. Felt harder than UWorld. People on here talk about some biostats videos - you should look them up and definitely go through it. I regret not doing that. The biostats is far more difficult than anything in UWorld and is really excessive.

I did all of UWorld (63% correct) and went back through all the ones I got wrong. I am going through CCS as we speak. My scores on UWSA 1 & 2 were 214 and 229, respectively.

I'll update you once I get my score back - should have the results in a few weeks.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. Did very well on Step 1 and Step 2 and am taking Step 3 towards the end of a five year residency. My residency is clinical heavy, but it is a pediatrics-based subspecialty and therefore not very useful for Step 3. I have only taken the first day of Step 3 so far, and it was a beast. Felt harder than UWorld. People on here talk about some biostats videos - you should look them up and definitely go through it. I regret not doing that. The biostats is far more difficult than anything in UWorld and is really excessive.

I did all of UWorld (63% correct) and went back through all the ones I got wrong. I am going through CCS as we speak. My scores on UWSA 1 & 2 were 214 and 229, respectively.

I'll update you once I get my score back - should have the results in a few weeks.
good luck!! Sending you passing vibes I am sure you got it done! Thanks for checking in and yes keep me posted!

Appreciate the advice.

Hi there. Step 3 is a slightly different beast because you have to study for it working a full time job in residency. You should try to schedule Step 3 during a more laid back rotation like an elective or one where you won't be bouncing between days and nights. Make it a goal to get through UWorld one time through. It took me about 3 months to get through UWorld while balancing my residency duties. I also highly recommend purchasing the CCS case simulator from CCScases.com. There are about 100 cases and the mimic the format of the actual exam while providing you with detailed feedback and a score. Just be aware though that the actual CCS cases on Step 3 lag behind and are a bit glitchy but I think CCScases.com offers a lagging/glitchy version that you can practice with. I also found it helpful to refer to First Aid for Step 1 when I was reviewing my UWorld questions.
It's a big inconvenience to take it during residency, but definitely do-able. You guys will do great! Good luck!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Okay, here's my final thoughts on this. Just got my score, passed comfortably with a low 240s score even though I felt like I failed after day 1.

I am a good test taker. Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 250s. However, I took these at the typical time (Step 1 - end of second year, Step 2 - end of third year), whereas now I am near the end of the five year residency (not IM).

I completed UWorld with 63% the first time around. I went through all the questions I got wrong until I got them all correct. Took notes on all the wrong ones and reviewed them the day before the exam. I took UWSA 1 and 2 a couple weeks out. Scores were 214 and 229, respectively.

I went through UWorld stats which was useful but didn't really reflect the drug ads on the exam. My biggest recommendation for day 1 is to simply watch the time carefully, because these damn drug ads can eat up a lot of time.

I strongly recommend CCScases.com. I went through the entire thing once and made about 70% through a second pass. During the second pass my performance jumped dramatically. I looked briefly at the UWorld cases but gave up on them because I preferred the feedback from CCScases. If you have time it would probably help to go through UWorld.

I have to say, this test is a tremendous waste of money and time. I can't believe they have made Step 1 pass/fail, yet this test continues to be a requirement. Why do we need a third test that is a mixture of Step 1 and 2 plus a bunch of additional stats? It is a joke.

Goodbye NBME.