Took some prereqs years ago - is post bac right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iusesharpies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 1 year ago with BA in Studio Art and am now interested in finishing the premed reqs and pursuing MD. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on whether or not to pursue a structured post bac or if I should complete the remaining prereqs at a CC. I have been researching Scripps post bac as a possibility as I live locally.

While in undergrad, I did take a few prereqs: A- Gen Chem+Lab, A Ochem 1 w/o lab, B+ Ochem 2 w/o lab, B Bio 1, B- Bio 1 Lab, A Calc 1. This ends up with Science GPA 3.43 and I have 3.79 overall. I have 1 yr research experience and 2+ years of volunteer/work/teaching exp throughout undergrad.

I believe my only remaining prereqs are 1 yr physics, biochem, calc 2, and ochem labs.

Can anyone suggest what would be the best option for me?

Members don't see this ad.

How old is years ago? I don't think you need a structured post bacc really. Also, calculus is not required. Schools are moving towards statistics more so.

Your GPA is good. If you finish these sciences with good GPA and do well on your MCAT, I don't honestly see why you'd need a structured post-bacc. But I will defer to the more knowledgeable...

How old is years ago? I don't think you need a structured post bacc really. Also, calculus is not required. Schools are moving towards statistics more so.

Your GPA is good. If you finish these sciences with good GPA and do well on your MCAT, I don't honestly see why you'd need a structured post-bacc. But I will defer to the more knowledgeable...

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that about calc, thanks for letting me know. I took the prereqs in Fall 2010 - Spring 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools I've looked at don't like pre-reqs > 5 years old (I don't think I'm making this up). Best bet is to pull up schools you know you will apply to and look at their pre-reqs. Most do not require calculus

I've definitely heard something like that about schools not accepting prereqs that are from awhile back. If that means retaking all of the classes, do you think a post bac program would be a better idea?

Thanks again, I will look into the math prereqs.

I've definitely heard something like that about schools not accepting prereqs that are from awhile back. If that means retaking all of the classes, do you think a post bac program would be a better idea?

Thanks again, I will look into the math prereqs.

Ok so some good information in this thread about older pre reqs --> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/prerequisites-how-old-is-too-old.540876/

Basically, from reading consensus in there,I wouldn't retake your pre reqs already done. Take the ones you still need and excel. As far a a formal post-bacc, they are all rather expensive. I've taken 4 of my pre reqs (gen chem & gen bio) at CC and rest at university. I don't see the plus in formal post-bacc's if your GPA is ok. Will do some research on that as well, though.

Thank you so much for finding that out. I will read the thread.

I am not sure if you would know anything about this specifically but I have been wondering about the ochem prereqs. I did not take the lab part when I took the classes and I am not finding any CC courses that have just the lab portion. I have been looking at some schools websites and some do not specify that ochem lab as part of the reqs. I am wondering is it assumed that the lab portion goes with the class and it is definitely required or is it more important to have taken the class. To be safe, do you recommend I retake the ochem series so that I will have done the lab portion?