Took COMLEX lvl 1, started clinical rotations. Dreading going back to STEP 1 studying. Any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

47ForYou

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I took Comlex lvl 1 earlier this month, and it went relatively fine. I feel better compared to other students I talked to who took it this year. I am still waiting for the results, but I am not worried about it.
I took one NBME at the start of my dedicated for COMLEX, and scored 180 on it. I then decided to only focus on COMLEX and take STEP at a later date.

Currently I am nearing the end of my first (Ob/Gyn) clerkship, and I am loving it! I love how much better/easier learning clinical medicine is compared to the pre-clinical basic science trash.

I have a month long "vacation" block coming up after my first clerkship ends, in which I was planning to prepare for and take STEP 1. Right now, just looking at my First Aid makes me physically nauseous. I don't think I can put myself through dedicated style studying again.

I don't have any particularly high aspirations. I never want to do any surgeries. I think I might love IM (Love the breadth of *Clinical* medicine), but unsure of any sub-specialties (If at all). I might be interested in Rheumatology or Allergy.

My question to you lovely people is how do I get myself to go back to studying for STEP 1? I already paid for it, so I don't want to waste those $650. I am aware that I can choose to not disclose it, so I am not as stressed about it as I was about COMLEX.
OR, given my interests, do I need STEP 1 at all?

Looking forward to your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not comfortably scoring 215+ then don't take it.

Reactions: 1 user
This is why the goal should be to take USMLE, 1 day rest, 1 day OMM, 3rd day COMLEX.

The level of detail required for USMLE is greater so if one studies for that from the get-go, then the drop in knowledge in those 2-3 days doesn’t really affect the COMLEX.

If you take COMLEX first, then you have to relearn EVERYTHING, in a higher level of detail.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why the goal should be to take USMLE, 1 day rest, 1 day OMM, 3rd day COMLEX.

The level of detail required for USMLE is greater so if one studies for that from the get-go, then the drop in knowledge in those 2-3 days doesn’t really affect the COMLEX.

If you take COMLEX first, then you have to relearn EVERYTHING, in a higher level of detail.
Tbh I primarily prepared for USMLE, using uworld, pathoma, etc. And never used any comlex specific resources. I'm ok with the level of detail I know. All that's left is revising the stuff, taking NBMEs and taking the damn step 1. I don't feel a big knowledge drain either.
I just feel sick having to go through all that stuff, and seeing Step 1 Uworld questions again.

Tbh I primarily prepared for USMLE, using uworld, pathoma, etc. And never used any comlex specific resources. I'm ok with the level of detail I know. All that's left is revising the stuff, taking NBMEs and taking the damn step 1. I don't feel a big knowledge drain either.
I just feel sick having to go through all that stuff, and seeing Step 1 Uworld questions again.
Then what’s the problem or question here? You’re saying you already studied for it and are taking it (and will hide your score if you don’t do well.) You’re simply going to have to find time if you want to take it. No one can find that time for you or design a study schedule for your specific situation around your school specific rotation. Talk to others at your school and see what they’re doing if they made this mistake.

Last edited:
Then what’s the problem or question here? You’re saying you already studied for it and are taking it (and will hide your score if you don’t do well.) You’re simply going to have to find time if you want to take it. No one can find that time for you or design a study schedule for your specific situation around your school specific rotation. Talk to others at your school and see what they’re doing if they made this mistake.
The problem or question is how do I not feel nauseous hitting First Aid and step 1 Uworld again? Any tips for finding the motivation?
Time isn't the issue since I am doing this during a month long break I get during 3rd year.

The problem or question is how do I not feel nauseous hitting First Aid and step 1 Uworld again? Any tips for finding the motivation?
Time isn't the issue since I am doing this during a month long break I get during 3rd year.
Zofran? No one is forcing you to take Step 1. You say you want (i.e. are motivated) to do it, but also say you aren't. Not sure what you're looking for. You seem pretty knowledgeable of your options (when to take it, your duration, options to reveal the score). Maybe you're looking for someone in a common situation? You can try the Reddit post below from another DO with the same issue. Google has a ton more of these.

Last edited:
I always took COMLEX a couple of days before steps. My motivation was simple - I'm a dumb piece of DO trash in many PDs eyes and I didn't wanna give them yet another reason to filter me out

When ERAS opens, you'll see how many programs you simply can't apply to and your MD colleagues getting invites with 210s trumping your 230s. By December, you'll have done so much research that as you hear candidates mentioning program names, you'll say it in your head "didn't apply there anyway because no DOs". If you're confident with your ability to get above 220/230s, you should take it

Take an NBME now. If you're not breaking 200, then even with 4 weeks and what sounds like being burned out with dedicated studying, I don't see the point. If you take it and are above 200, you should study and see how far you can get 2 weeks in, then finally decide whether to take it or not.

Take an NBME now. If you're not breaking 200, then even with 4 weeks and what sounds like being burned out with dedicated studying, I don't see the point. If you take it and are above 200, you should study and see how far you can get 2 weeks in, then finally decide whether to take it or not.
I think the nbme’s usually underestimate by 10-20pts so keep that in mind.

I think the nbme’s usually underestimate by 10-20pts so keep that in mind.
Its not unusual to have variability of 10 pts down on the day of too, so NBME will be an example of how you do on a bad day, so again, if OP's not breaking 200 on an NBME with already feeling burnt out going into dedicated, I would not take it.

says the guy that started an account 4 days ago and has been on every DO thread the past 4 days.
That's because I spent my first two years studying and scored exceptionally well on Step 1. I don't waste my time as you do, and I don't have the privilege of taking an easier board exam that's only 50% evidence-based.

I see you're at ACOM. Good luck with your residency options.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users