too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richross

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How old is too old?
I am 31 and just starting the prereqs from UW. I will be 33 when I apply.
How do admissions people perceive older post-bacc applicants?
Is there anything that I can do now to offset the age issue?

SSG Ross
Fort Lewis, WA

Members don't see this ad.

richross

the age depends on what you are interested in D.O. or M.D. from what i have read and heard D.O. schools are more sympathic to older applicants and are more concerned with life experiences. on the other hand M.D. schools usually have younger applicants and are more concerned with the numbers (gpa, mcat) again this is from my research. but remember one thing if you want to be a doctor don't give up. work hard

good luck

If you are too old, then I am too old. I am not too old dammit. Go for it. You are only as old as you feel.

Hanly

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Young guy np. DO schools tends to be more liberal towards non-traditional students.

Go for it.

You are definitely NOT too old. I am 35 (I started (allopathic) medical school this year). There are at least 5 people in my class that are very close to me in age and some that are even older (I think the range is 19-42). As I was going through the application process I noted several schools that were probably interested in me because of my age and experience. Do some research before you start applying. There are many schools that are very interested in older, non-traditional students. Good luck.

Thanks for the good news. It helps to know that others have the same situation.
I look forward to the challenges of med school.