Too old to become a doctor ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yharo

Reaction score
Hello SDN, I am 24 years old and I'm a junior in college I know what you are probably thinking why are you still in college? I actually graduated early from high school but made a few bad decisions and didn't go to college. I ended up becoming a medical assistant and got in debt for that. After working 3 years as a medical assistant I decided to go to college as a part time student since I was working full time and on call. Anyways I finally quit my job at 23 and decided to go full time to college. I had to quit because the college I'm attending is also in a different city. I am 84% done with my degree I'm working towards a B.A in biochemistry I would have done B.S but the school I got to does not offer that. I can't help but get stressed out about the future I have no research background I volunteered a bit I have only shadowed one doctor and I'm not even sure I want to be a doctor anymore. My GPA is great it's currently a 4.0 I thought I would have lost it at organic chemistry that has been my hardest A yet. Anyways I feel as if I'm too old I don't ever hear of anyone my age still in college, it is so hard to be in class with a bunch of students 4 years or more younger than I am ( only because I'm embarrassed for myself :/ )I dont know when I'll graduate to be honest I'm so tempted to drop out. I'm tired of school, I hate it. This is another reason why I'm not sure if I want to be a doctor the fact that I'm tired of school already how will endure medical school. I know I'm smart enough to do it but I lack all the motivation in the world. Can anyone relate to these feelings? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and yes. I'm a traditional student but otherwise, I understand. Also, per AMCAS I believe, the average age of matriculation is 24, so you're right on time.

Edit; this might even be looked favorably on. An ADCOM seeing a slightly more mature student with excellent grades means he/she is more ready to deal with what that kind of schooling entails. I hate how overused mature is but its really the best fit word here.

You are still plenty young to go to med school. I'm starting med school in my 40's and, while there aren't tons of us over 40, there are a lot of people over 30 based on the demographics I've seen in the MSAR.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* 24 and feels they are too old.
Seriously, I understand your concern, but the answer is normally it's never too old; but if you're older than 50 that means you probably only have a decade of practicing. Everything under that is fine depending on your goals.
Then there should be a link to ~NonTraditionals~: Ages because I feel like these posts are just asking for reassurance from older people.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm tired of school, I hate it. This is another reason why I'm not sure if I want to be a doctor the fact that I'm tired of school already how will endure medical school.
Why do you want to climb the academic and financial hill to enter arguably the most difficult profession if you aren't even motivated to learn? What exactly is your desire for becoming a doctor?

Reactions: 1 user
OP I stopped reading when I read “24.”

Came back, skimmed your outline, and by the jest of what your implying it’s not your age I’m concerned about (I’ll be 30 when I start my professional program outside of MD) it’s your intentions that don’t add up.

If it’s schooling and the motion-of-preparation that you can’t get over, why don’t you consider alternatives such as PA? Use undergrad and shadowing different healthcare fields to see where your at. Nothing wrong starting older just don’t pick something you may regret.

Reactions: 4 users
I got people in their 50's in my OMS1 class right now. What are you talking about?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hello SDN, I am 24 years old and I'm a junior in college I know what you are probably thinking why are you still in college? I actually graduated early from high school but made a few bad decisions and didn't go to college. I ended up becoming a medical assistant and got in debt for that. After working 3 years as a medical assistant I decided to go to college as a part time student since I was working full time and on call. Anyways I finally quit my job at 23 and decided to go full time to college. I had to quit because the college I'm attending is also in a different city. I am 84% done with my degree I'm working towards a B.A in biochemistry I would have done B.S but the school I got to does not offer that. I can't help but get stressed out about the future I have no research background I volunteered a bit I have only shadowed one doctor and I'm not even sure I want to be a doctor anymore. My GPA is great it's currently a 4.0 I thought I would have lost it at organic chemistry that has been my hardest A yet. Anyways I feel as if I'm too old I don't ever hear of anyone my age still in college, it is so hard to be in class with a bunch of students 4 years or more younger than I am ( only because I'm embarrassed for myself :/ )I dont know when I'll graduate to be honest I'm so tempted to drop out. I'm tired of school, I hate it. This is another reason why I'm not sure if I want to be a doctor the fact that I'm tired of school already how will endure medical school. I know I'm smart enough to do it but I lack all the motivation in the world. Can anyone relate to these feelings? Am I the only one who feels this way?
Do I have to reach through the electrons and give you a dope smack?

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

If you're tired of school, stop now and work for a few years to recharge. Then come back and see if the calling is still there. You're in a marathon now, not a sprint, and med schools aren't going anywhere. In fact, by the time you're ready to apply, more will have opened their doors.

Reactions: 12 users
I decided to read this. My own one-liner is I started medical school at 33. That should answer your question quickly. HOWEVER, your post tells me you aren't quite ready for the journey.

To (try to) be brief, being a doctor is NOT something you luck into or pick because, it's a good or the best option. You become a doctor because of a passion for it. Because you think about your life and not seeing yourself a doctor almost makes you physically ill. This is one of the qualities sought by AdComs and residencies.

I understand your work as a medical assistant, but when you shadow that doctor, it has to light a fire in you! The fact that you say you are tired of school, I won't be dismissive of that - but without that passion, you will NOT even come close to surviving. You need that to get out of bed everyday, to study, to deal with all the garbage and long hours that are involved. Anyone who wants to say medical school isn't probably the most difficult advance degree to obtain, has never gone through medical school. NEVERMIND that residency is even harsher. What does it tell you about residency that the governing body does their darndest to make sure you only work 80 hours/week!!

There are a dozen other ways to help people in the medical profession, but only one of these ways requires grit and determination and years and years of tough self-sacrifice to do. If you don't want to eat, sleep, breathe, LIVE BEING A DOCTOR, think it over. Because that passion and drive is the only thing that will get you to the finish line.

To come full circle, the fact you have to ask if being X age by the time you start medical school, speaks volumes. Ask me. Ask those folks mention in the previous post who are starting medical school at age 50.

Reactions: 12 users
My friend is MS4 and 59 or 60. That is not a typo.

Allopathic, going into residency come June at 60 (pretty sure)... Itsa, where are you? <3

My son is older than you; I dragged him through physics 1, we both got A+'s; I premed, him wandering through life... he's now headed to med school in next few years (I hope - he's got it all going on, not that I am biased or anything).;)

I BOMBED, like flat out barfed on the MCAT (2 postponements out of my control; transformer blown 1st time, Hurricane Irma the 2nd) and quit. Again.:mad:

As @Goro said, if you need to take some time, do so. If you find yourself consistently sitting some place reading science stuff, yearning to help people almost like you can't help yourself to do so, then you know. If you try everything else (volunteering, EMT, etc.) and you still can't get that "need" to go away, then you know.

You are not too old.

24, lul.

I'll be 39 soon and am an M3. Average age of our incoming class is 25. Come back when you're 60 and we'll talk again about whether you're too old.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually. I think it's just one person in her 50's, a couple others are in their 40's. I'm currently attending ARCOM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Thanks, just trying to get a feel for the schools that accept older students. Congrats on your acceptance!

Took my first college course as a part time student (working FT) at 25, now 30 and accepted to medical school. Honestly you are never too old but this road is long and sucks sometimes. Make sure medicine is something you really want to do long-term. You are never too old but also consider the debt and year/ income and even if it doesn't work out as the best option at least you know the financial situation you are signing up for in regards to your pros and cons.

Thanks, just trying to get a feel for the schools that accept older students. Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm in the 40's category and received an acceptance to ARCOM, so add that to the list of examples that they are very friendly to older applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
I dont know when I'll graduate to be honest I'm so tempted to drop out. I'm tired of school, I hate it. This is another reason why I'm not sure if I want to be a doctor the fact that I'm tired of school already how will endure medical school. I know I'm smart enough to do it but I lack all the motivation in the world.

Your age is not an issue. I'm a 34 yo M2, my class has multiple other people in their 30s. 24 isn't old by anyone's standard (except yours). The quoted part above is an issue. Medical School is much more demanding than undergrad. You need to really want it for this path to be worth it.

I'm in the 40's category and received an acceptance to ARCOM, so add that to the list of examples that they are very friendly to older applicants.
Thank you!! Congrats on your acceptance!!

Anything under 30 fair game.
30-40 borderline.
40-50 almost always too old
50+ too old in every case

I started this process at age 23. Not fully done until 36. Really feel like I was starting to push it. Can’t imagine starting at 30+ personally. I’m mid 30s and tired.

30-40 borderline.

I started this process at age 23. Not fully done until 36. Really feel like I was starting to push it. Can’t imagine starting at 30+ personally. I’m mid 30s and tired.
Definitely a good general guideline. I am accepted and will start at 30 and would make the cutoff at 35 for myself.

30-40 borderline.
I'd be very careful with that...

I'd be very careful with that...

What’s the age you would say is universally too old? 55? 60? 70? 80? 95? 105?

You’ll admit that there is one, right?

Again, we are not immortal. It sucks but sometimes a reality check is in order. You can’t have a baby at age 60. You can’t sign up to become an Air Force pilot at age 60. You can’t win a gold medal in the olympics at age 60.

Sorry. There are limits. There are things that 60 year olds can do that I can’t in my 30s. Retiring comes to mind.

Accept life’s stages and you’ll be happier once you realize ageing is out of your control is what I’ve learned. I spent most of my 20s pretending like I was still a college student and trying not to let go of that phase in my life, now I realize to great detriment,

What’s the age you would say is universally too old? 55? 60? 70? 80? 95? 105?

You’ll admit that there is one, right?

Again, we are not immortal. It sucks but sometimes a reality check is in order. You can’t have a baby at age 60. You can’t sign up to become an Air Force pilot at age 60. You can’t win a gold medal in the olympics at age 60.

Sorry. There are limits. There are things that 60 year olds can do that I can’t in my 30s. Retiring comes to mind.

Accept life’s stages and you’ll be happier once you realize ageing is out of your control is what I’ve learned. I spent most of my 20s pretending like I was still a college student and trying not to let go of that phase in my life, now I realize to great detriment,

As far as stating 50+ being too old in every case, I don’t agree with that. Yet you are correct that for each individual, the idea of finances being greater of a burden than your hobbies or ones ideology of a certain job aspect has its limits.

I have another (older) non-trad I’ve spoken with who is currently 57....based on our discussion, I would define this individual as “Too old” due to bad financial preparation. His wife won’t follow him to the programs location due to the debt they already have.

After crunching numbers and looking at an extra 225k+ of loans by his 60’s, what joy can this person truly have if your family and pre-existing debt is not on board? Especially family?! Makes me slightly depressed as to why he’s doing this with no game-plan upon graduation (financially).

Some can pull it off, but your right that for some people ( even much younger ) a reality check is needed when Pursuing specific goals. Especially in education such as this.

I am surrounded by 60-90yo pts all day long... I feel young and great!
I browse SDN for 15min reading such threads... I feel like I'm ancient with one foot in the grave :oops::arghh:

Lol! 24 is Old? Seriously? :slap:

OP, the world is your oyster. Age will not be your barrier, your motivation though... ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Maybe this has been said already - forgive me if I’m repeating someone else. It seems the root of the problem isn’t your age - it’s your embarrassment about your age and you comparing yourself to everyone else.

Everyone takes their own paths in life - this is yours. You sound a bit burned out, and you sound like you need a hot second to regroup and figure out what you need your future to be.

I started the path to med school in my late 20’s and early 30’s. I was going to CC classes with 16 and 17 year olds, and you’re right - it can be embarrassing. Then thoughts in my head were “they must think I didn’t have my crap together” “I’m the old lady”... “good lord do I even belong here?!?!”. Those are just thoughts, secreted by the brain like the salivary glands secrete spit, and very often thoughts lie. Don’t trust your brain spit and don’t let it determine your future.

Maybe med school isn’t in the future for you. I would however recommend you graduate, you’re close, and you’ll regret it if you don’t. Take some time after graduation to figure life out - be a glorious non traditional student if you choose med school after some time. If you don’t choose to be a doc, that’s 100% OK! The future is yours, make it what you want it to be!!

The schools aren’t going anywhere. Take the time you need.

I wish you the very best, hang in there!

I’m a 31 year old first year medical student that will turn 32 by the end of first year. I’m not the oldest in my class either. You’re not too old at all. You would fit right in to my class, most are 24-28.

Basically yes I’m very familiar with all of your feelings and I’m kicking butt in med school. So can you, but you’ve got to be motivated or med school will kick your butt instead.

I didn't finish my bachelor's until I was 26. It's not worth it to stress over feeling insecure about your age. There are much worse things you could have done than having a few birthdays in your life. :p

As far as stating 50+ being too old in every case, I don’t agree with that. Yet you are correct that for each individual, the idea of finances being greater of a burden than your hobbies or ones ideology of a certain job aspect has its limits.

I have another (older) non-trad I’ve spoken with who is currently 57....based on our discussion, I would define this individual as “Too old” due to bad financial preparation. His wife won’t follow him to the programs location due to the debt they already have.

After crunching numbers and looking at an extra 225k+ of loans by his 60’s, what joy can this person truly have if your family and pre-existing debt is not on board? Especially family?! Makes me slightly depressed as to why he’s doing this with no game-plan upon graduation (financially).

Some can pull it off, but your right that for some people ( even much younger ) a reality check is needed when Pursuing specific goals. Especially in education such as this.

It does depend on circumstances to be sure; financial, health, raw intellect, and probably lots of other factors I'm leaving out. To say that a certain number precludes someone from being a good physician though is not only ill-contrived, it shows the kind of bias that anyone with a sound mind should have overcome by the time they held a terminal degree. I can see that user who was so sure there was an age found out that there is an age at which you can get booted from SDN :D

If you want an objective answer, you'll never find one. If you are looking for opinions, some of these comments are quite entertaining.

Age starting medicine depends on A LOT of factors. A 40 year old pursing medicine with debt, a family, and average to above average grades will have it significantly harder than a single 40 year old career changer with no debt who plans on staying single.

There is no right or wrong answer. Assuming we all retire around an average of 70, I would say pursuing medicine in the late 40's is not a worthwhile decision. Mid 40's is still doable assuming everything else in your life is right on track.

I decided to read this. My own one-liner is I started medical school at 33. That should answer your question quickly. HOWEVER, your post tells me you aren't quite ready for the journey.

To (try to) be brief, being a doctor is NOT something you luck into or pick because, it's a good or the best option. You become a doctor because of a passion for it. Because you think about your life and not seeing yourself a doctor almost makes you physically ill. This is one of the qualities sought by AdComs and residencies.

I understand your work as a medical assistant, but when you shadow that doctor, it has to light a fire in you! The fact that you say you are tired of school, I won't be dismissive of that - but without that passion, you will NOT even come close to surviving. You need that to get out of bed everyday, to study, to deal with all the garbage and long hours that are involved. Anyone who wants to say medical school isn't probably the most difficult advance degree to obtain, has never gone through medical school. NEVERMIND that residency is even harsher. What does it tell you about residency that the governing body does their darndest to make sure you only work 80 hours/week!!

There are a dozen other ways to help people in the medical profession, but only one of these ways requires grit and determination and years and years of tough self-sacrifice to do. If you don't want to eat, sleep, breathe, LIVE BEING A DOCTOR, think it over. Because that passion and drive is the only thing that will get you to the finish line.

To come full circle, the fact you have to ask if being X age by the time you start medical school, speaks volumes. Ask me. Ask those folks mention in the previous post who are starting medical school at age 50.
one of the best posts i've read in a long time. thank you

I love the nontrads forum when I start feeling old and dumb and like I'm never gonna get into med school. 34 over here and applying next cycle. If all goes well I'll be finishing up med school just before I turn 40. If you think you're too old (even if you're only 24), you're probably right. If you don't think you're too old, you're probably right. That's all :smuggrin:

Reactions: 3 users
I love the nontrads forum when I start feeling old and dumb and like I'm never gonna get into med school. 34 over here and applying next cycle. If all goes well I'll be finishing up med school just before I turn 40. If you think you're too old (even if you're only 24), you're probably right. If you don't think you're too old, you're probably right. That's all :smuggrin:
Hahahaha . So true (I am 33)

I think every non-trad has, at some point, felt this way. This is one of the issues of modern American life. We have to do well in high school so we can go to a good college, so we can get a good job, so we can make a lot of money, so we can get a nice house in the pricey suburbs, so we can have a nice car, so our kids can go to a good school. And we have these elaborate plans with tons of boxes to check and all of this needs to be figured out by 22 so we can make $150k by 28 so we can do X by X, etc etc etc. And we check all these boxes and move up the ladders and when we hit 40, suddenly ".....oh wait, I'm not happy." And then there's a midlife crisis, which takes the form of a number of different vices.

Everyone assumes that you need a plan, timelines, and that you have to hit greatness by 35. But if you look at the truly great minds of the world, most of them were relatively nowhere at 35. My advice would be to stop focusing on the end result and start focusing on the process. Tbh if you don't like school, med school and residency might not be what you want out of life. And that's totally fine. Just because it's not in the plan doesn't make it bad. Find out what you do like and what you want to do every day for the rest of your life. Find a way to make that your life-- medicine or otherwise.

I think OP stopped paying attention a long time ago and hasn't responded once, which means with over 30 replies, the nontrad SDN community really wanted to answer this question haha.

My aunt (who was the inspiration behind my switch to medicine) said this to me:

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't be a doctor until I was at least 40!"
Her: "You're going to be 40 anyway. Wouldn't you rather be a doctor?"

Reactions: 9 users

Oh that’s brilliant !!

This. Show me the career that lets me stay 39 forever and I’ll drop everything and do that!

Reactions: 3 users

Your aunt is awesome. I think we'd get along. If I match next cycle (pleasepleaseplease), I'll be a few months shy of 40 when I finish up med school.

Your aunt is awesome. I think we'd get along. If I match next cycle (pleasepleaseplease), I'll be a few months shy of 40 when I finish up med school.

Yeah my mom said something similar to me. Personally I’ve had a blast doing this whole journey in my 30s. You’re spared the whole grass is greener phenomenon that all your 22 year old classmates will struggle with as all their friends are boasting about their amazing new jobs. We’re old enough that all our friends now hate those jobs and have quit or are miserable!

Reactions: 6 users

24 y.o.a.? Too old? LMAO. Come on.

Last edited:
I have spent now about 2 decades focusing on nontraditional, older students (along with atypical and problem applicants) and every time I hear that a school is either nontrad friendly or unfriendly, makes me want to scream. Every school, every school will consider a strong candidate no matter the age. Applicants tell me that they couldnt possibly consider say Pritzker at University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, Cornell, Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, Mayo, etc. Yet I have had nontrads in 30s and 40s go to all those schools. Having looked at data deeper than whats in MSAR, when I still had access to the entire AMCAS data set, older candidates tended to have more grade baggage from past work. Controlling for GPA and MCAT, you find percent represented in applicant pool is about equal to percent in matriculants, Taking the extreme points, as in over 40, trying to glean a pattern may be misleading simple because of both the scarcity of applicants at that age as well as the inability to cross reference/control for GPA/MCAT from MSAR. If you fit the school's mission, academic level, and the rest, then apply. Do not think your age limits you

Gonnif, so glad to see you still hear. Yes. If people listened to all the anti-age hate on SDN, they'd drive off a cliff at 29/30. Thank God there are voices that balance out the yammering of hate over things people can't control...like their birthday. SMH + eye-roll.

I’m early 30s. No one thinks I’m too old, except a grumpy uncle. In fact, I just talked to an MS1, who told me she has a 55-year-old classmate.

I’m early 30s. No one thinks I’m too old, except a grumpy uncle. In fact, I just talked to an MS1, who told me she has a 55-year-old classmate.
I know that 55 year old class mate ... :) (it's not me, btw; we 50+ers tend to know one another; kind of like rare birds flock together sort of thing)

• Haha
I know that 55 year old class mate ... :) (it's not me, btw; we 50+ers tend to know one another; kind of like rare birds flock together sort of thing)
Well, if you're at UWSOM, your classmate loves you, lol.

Well, if you're at UWSOM, your classmate loves you, lol.
It's not me!!! Tho that individual is very loved... trying to emulate for 2020 :) WAIT!! THERE's MORE THAN 1, 55+ :)

*sigh* 24 and feels they are too old.
Seriously, I understand your concern, but the answer is normally it's never too old; but if you're older than 50 that means you probably only have a decade of practicing. Everything under that is fine depending on your goals.
Then there should be a link to ~NonTraditionals~: Ages because I feel like these posts are just asking for reassurance from older people.

over 40 is certainly too old to start med school. Don't waste your time.

I turned 39 last week and am starting an SMP with direct entry in one month. Should my gpa meet their requirements at the end I will enter med school at 40.

If you think you’re too old then you’re too old. It’s all in your head. Just like those voices.

over 40 is certainly too old to start med school. Don't waste your time.
It depends on what you'd like to do with it. Some people don't practice medicine. In fact some just go into biomedical research or maybe management. Few doctors take their boards more than three times, and taking them twice certainly isn't viewed as a wasted career. I think for most people, it's probably not worth it at 40, but that's true for most young people too. It's a hard road.