too old for med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitequote

aspiring doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im 20 and currently taking up a business course.. by the time I am done with my business course I maybe 24.. am i too old if I pursue med school by then?? I have shifted from psychology to a business course already and my mom is going to get lunatic if she learns that I want to trasfer to a pre med course... do you think im too old if I enter med school by 24??

I am a female by the way..

how old are freshmen medical students??:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

^ i dont think so. if you read at the admissions pamphlets/informations of medical schools, their age limit is 35. i entered med school at age of 23.

most freshman medical students (pure filipinos who are on typical 4 yr pre-med course) enter med school between 20-21 yrs.

if you're really determined, passionate & dedicated into becoming a medical doctor, age does not matter.

Im 20 and currently taking up a business course.. by the time I am done with my business course I maybe 24.. am i too old if I pursue med school by then?? I have shifted from psychology to a business course already and my mom is going to get lunatic if she learns that I want to trasfer to a pre med course... do you think im too old if I enter med school by 24??

If you're sure you want to be a doctor, then I think you should definitely go for it. I had classmates in their mid-30s and 40s and I had friends in their mid and late 20s who had taught or worked after college before going to med school.

So no, you aren't too old. Bottom line is the time is gonna pass one way or another, would you rather be 28 and wondering "what if I had gone to med school" or be 28 and graduating from med school?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am currently in my 1st year and I just turned 26 last month. I thought I would be the only person in medschool who's kinda old for it, and I thought twas kinda late or something. I even have a classmate who's turning 42 this year. You know, it's never too late in following what you really want. I am enjoying every bit of medicine life. Now will always be the time. I agree with WaZoBia, go for it.

If you're sure you want to be a doctor, then I think you should definitely go for it. I had classmates in their mid-30s and 40s and I had friends in their mid and late 20s who had taught or worked after college before going to med school.

So no, you aren't too old. Bottom line is the time is gonna pass one way or another, would you rather be 28 and wondering "what if I had gone to med school" or be 28 and graduating from med school?

Gosh!!!! I love what u said!!!! thanks so much for that wazobia!!!!!! you are in med school now wazobia?

^ i dont think so. if you read at the admissions pamphlets/informations of medical schools, their age limit is 35. i entered med school at age of 23.

most freshman medical students (pure filipinos who are on typical 4 yr pre-med course) enter med school between 20-21 yrs.

if you're really determined, passionate & dedicated into becoming a medical doctor, age does not matter.

thanks for the reply bleudsky!!! at what age did u graduate by the way?:)

I am currently in my 1st year and I just turned 26 last month. I thought I would be the only person in medschool who's kinda old for it, and I thought twas kinda late or something. I even have a classmate who's turning 42 this year. You know, it's never too late in following what you really want. I am enjoying every bit of medicine life. Now will always be the time. I agree with WaZoBia, go for it.

Thanks phoebusx!!!! hehe you really boosted my spirit

Gosh!!!! I love what u said!!!! thanks so much for that wazobia!!!!!! you are in med school now wazobia?

Hi Whitequote, actually I graduated from med school some years ago. Although, I'm male, there were times when I felt the way you feel but thanks to some good advise I stayed on and I'm sure it'll be the same for you. We all tend to feel like there is a particular time to go to college and to finish and a particular time to start a family etc but the reality is we can make it up as we go.

All the best to you.

thanks for the reply bleudsky!!! at what age did u graduate by the way?:)

i graduated at 26 (was about to turn 27 few months after). :D i know, i was 2 yrs older than my batchmates but i didn't care (and they didn't mind either).