too many LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if having a lot of LOR's would be beneficial. I have a few from science professors and a few from non science, I also have two from the doctors that I shadowed, three from volunteer places, one from my part-time job, and one from a faculty member at a medical school where I did some research. Would submitting all of these be a good idea or is this too much and only submit the relevant ones like university professors?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by mdsquared
I was just wondering if having a lot of LOR's would be beneficial. I have a few from science professors and a few from non science, I also have two from the doctors that I shadowed, three from volunteer places, one from my part-time job, and one from a faculty member at a medical school where I did some research. Would submitting all of these be a good idea or is this too much and only submit the relevant ones like university professors?

Nope. If even one is mediocre/bad, then it might decrease your chances. Don't play those odds. In addition to 2 science profs, 1 non-science prof, add maybe 2 more which you think will be the very best of what you have-perhaps the 2 docs, or 1 doc and the research one, etc.

I doubt the adcoms will pay attention to more than 5 recs.

Call each school and ask the admissions staff how many you can send in and which ones you should prioritize. Explain to them that you have a bunch and need to know what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools specifically say to have no more than 5

i was told while talking to a medschool rep that visited my undergrad that too many LoRs is a bit of a red flag, causing them to look more closely at your file. they assume you are trying to make up for something bad (grades or mcat usually) by sending lots of letters...and they said it pretty much never works.

5 doesn't sound like 'too many' tho...i'll probably send 4 or 5 to show different aspects of my education (sports, science teachers, non-science, clinical experience, etc...)

I sent in an additional LOR just last week because one of my professors was really enthusiastic about writing me one, hope it doesn't hurt me... I would think the max number of LORs would be good, especially from a state school, because it means that you got to know a great number of your faculty. I wouldn't think that all of these profs would have to sing praises about you either.

I was wondering the same thing..2 of my letters are from science professors..advisors..and one from my PI..should I balance it out with a non-science one?:confused: ...

Exigente

Originally posted by exigente chica
I was wondering the same thing..2 of my letters are from science professors..advisors..and one from my PI..should I balance it out with a non-science one?:confused: ...

Exigente

Its always good to have a nice balance of letters. Many schools require 2 science so you're set there. It's good to let the schools know you're academically adept outside of the sciences as well. I got recs from all over (6 total + committee) and I got a lot of comments from interviewers about how they liked my wide range of recs as they gave them a better picture of me as an applicant.

Originally posted by exmike
Its always good to have a nice balance of letters. Many schools require 2 science so you're set there. It's good to let the schools know you're academically adept outside of the sciences as well. I got recs from all over (6 total + committee) and I got a lot of comments from interviewers about how they liked my wide range of recs as they gave them a better picture of me as an applicant.

Thanx Mike, I guess I will get the non-science one then..but only for my top schools..or all of them? :confused:

Does your school have a letter service or comittee? That makes it easy to send them to everyone.

Originally posted by exigente chica
Thanx Mike, I guess I will get the non-science one then..but only for my top schools..or all of them? :confused:

most of the schools have a specific limit you can send them.

some want only 3

some want no more than 5.

so depends on each school. at least you can pick and choose which ones you think are awesome and just send those.

yeah letter service at your school is the way to go.

Or use a committee and send as many recs as you want!

Originally posted by exmike
Does your school have a letter service or comittee? That makes it easy to send them to everyone.

We sure don't...so I have been tracking people down for my letters....but I really want that non-science letter..should I contact the schools and ask them if it's ok to send and extra letter or not?