Too many LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osiris3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty general question. If a program's application requires AT LEAST three LOR's is it unacceptable to send an extra one? I'm wondering if it affects the perception of the applicant, maybe you are perceived as being unable to follow directions.

Members don't see this ad.

osiris3 said:
I have a pretty general question. If a program's application requires AT LEAST three LOR's is it unacceptable to send an extra one? I'm wondering if it affects the perception of the applicant, maybe you are perceived as being unable to follow directions.

That is exactly what my school's dean of academics said - that sending more indicates an inability to follow directions. According to her, programs have asked her to tell students to send only the amount required. Also, imagine one applicant somehow feeling the need to send more letters to justify that they're a good candidate versus one confident and good enough to only require 3.

I would just send three if that's what the program is asking for, as Noodle indicated. But if they specifically say a minimum of three then I can't imagine that anyone is going to mark the box on your app for
( )does not follow directions --> send this app to trash immediately.

Just try to follow the crowd, don't be the overachiever who sticks out at this point. You want to impress them with what a great candidate you are on interview day and not that you're stellar with getting lots of LORs. ;)

According to my anesthesia PD, if you have four good LORs, then send four. 99% of programs require three, but ERAS allows room for four. It can only help your application if they are good letters.

What if the program only requires 2 letters? I think a few of mine only required 2, but I just checked off all 3 for every program. Should I go back and remove 1 for the programs that only require 2? (Not all of my letters are uploaded.)

robotsonic said:
What if the program only requires 2 letters? I think a few of mine only required 2, but I just checked off all 3 for every program. Should I go back and remove 1 for the programs that only require 2? (Not all of my letters are uploaded.)

as I said before, more letters can only help, not hurt your application.

Incorrect - actually only exceptional letters will help an application. Think quality over quantity. More letters can in fact dilute down an otherwise exceptional letter.

RadOncMan said:
Incorrect - actually only exceptional letters will help an application. Think quality over quantity. More letters can in fact dilute down an otherwise exceptional letter.

I think we are assuming that all 4 LORs are very strong.