Too many cases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It depends on the cases. If he had a bunch of CTRs, trigger releases, manipulations or knee scopes he could feasibly do that many cases. If he was doing total joints, arthroscopic cuff repairs, spines (I.e. more complex cases) then doing 17-20 cases in a day routinely is not likely feasible. It all depends on what was scheduled. They don't mention what cases he was doing so we can only speculate.

One of the issues is that they are using anesthesia start and end times, when the surgery start and end times are likely different. Also, if someone is closing and dressing for him that would allow him to jump back and forth more.

I am also trying to figure out how they are using x-rays to decide if a knee scope was appropriately done. Doesn't seem like there would be much difference, unless I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol jesus... any thoughts on how much he potentially made?

2 room total joint surgeons with resident/PAs closing and helping setup patient....easily can do 10-12 joints in 1 day.

Now do the same with scopes or carpal tunnel or silly cases...you could easily do 20 with 2 rooms.

Not sure why this is an issue. We've been dinged in neurosurgery recently for the same thing. A surgeon can do 2 cases at the same time. Induction and arousal from anesthesia takes so long, it is much more efficient to run 2 rooms.