Too late to apply ??? Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newbee

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am so glad to find this forum! I am doing my first year in IM, but the more I am doing it, the more I realize that IM does not really suit my personality, so I am considering switching to pathology. I wonder if it's too late to apply? I feel so much stressful thinking about switching. I did one pathology rotation before but that hospital does not have a path residency; so I don't know how is the life of pathology resident like?

I would greatly appreciated your response!

Thanks.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

It may be too late to register for ERAS, although I'm not sure of that. If you have your LORs, transcripts, and everything else ready to go you might want to give it a shot. As mentioned in another thread, programs are still sending out invites. If you are really serious about switching to pathology, as opposed to just switching out of medicine, you also might want to approach the pathology department in your hospital and ask if they are willing to take you on as a resident, assuming they have a residency program. I know someone who did that during internship and is now a chief resident.

Hello Newbee!

i don't want to play an unqualified psychiatrist here, but I am curious as to what your motivation for switching fields is and how you have decided pathology is the correct field for you. I can imagine as an intern you are under a whole mess of stress. Is it a possibility that you are getting caught in "the greener grass" syndrome? Or do you truly believe that sitting at a scope, or managing a lab, or doing autopsies is your schtick? (My true apologies to all of my pathologist comrades for this gross oversimplification of the field, I am just trying to make a point.)

What made you settle on internal medicine anyway? Do you like patients? Did you think you had to use your stethescope in order to be a true doc? Would you miss this as a pathologist? Do you find the pathology personality type preferable to the internist? Are you just having a crappy rotation?

Before you are so quick to change fields, consider if it is only the uphill climb that is bothering you. If you have ever hiked a mountain, you know that feeling you get on a particularly long, high grade slope. You want to turn around, march (roll) down the mountain, get into your car and drive away. But if (when) you make it to the summit, the sensation is a literal sensation of being at the top of your world. Medical school, for me at least, brings that same sensation. Now that I near the end, it is the most proud thing in my life. BUT, prior to this point it hurt like heck. I imagine residency feels the same way. And like it or not, you are only a sixth of the way into the trip...a very painful place to be.

My point? Think long and hard before you switch fields, and only after you can figure out whether or not it is the climb or the summit that disinterests you. If it is indeed the climb, stick with it and you will get through it. Rather, if it is the summit, do everything you can to change trails.

Good Luck!

Mindy