Too late for MS3 interested in IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkg1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, MS3 here at a good school in the West with what I hear is a strong IR program, just stumbled upon IR pretty late - it's the last 3 months of 3rd year and I have NO experience whatsoever... I have research in other fields and presentations, however only honored Surgery and 250 step 1, from what I have read on here that is on the low end for IR. Am I too late in the game for this? My school offers an IR sub-i, so I could sign up, but trying to figure out if I should jump ship from my current plan if there's a high chance I won't get interviews or match. I am trying to be realistic and apologize if this comes across as stupid. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, MS3 here at a good school in the West with what I hear is a strong IR program, just stumbled upon IR pretty late - it's the last 3 months of 3rd year and I have NO experience whatsoever... I have research in other fields and presentations, however only honored Surgery and 250 step 1, from what I have read on here that is on the low end for IR. Am I too late in the game for this? My school offers an IR sub-i, so I could sign up, but trying to figure out if I should jump ship from my current plan if there's a high chance I won't get interviews or match. I am trying to be realistic and apologize if this comes across as stupid. Thanks!
You should be good. I know people that switched later than you with similar stats and did fine. Do a sub-I, probably an away, some research, and you should be fine.

Last edited:
There is an article on JVIR on the scores, aoa status, number of publications, etc. of matched applicants from the 2017 year in IR. Average step 1 of matched applicants was 245.

Reactions: 1 user

I would recommend doing a diagnostic rotation followed by an away rotation in IR to hopefully secure a letter of recommendation by the program director and then doing an IR sub-I at your home institution prior to January to solidify your interest in IR and help when it comes time to building a ranklist. If you're strongly considering IR there are options such as ESIR and doing the above would greatly help display your dedication to becoming an interventionalist and you can focus efforts on your ESIR application if you don't land one of the integrated residencies. Assuming you perform well on your 4th year rotations and interview well you should be competitive to at least match in a diagnostic program with ESIR.