Tonsillolith / Tonsil Stone Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklynshot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a long time sufferer of the bane of tonsilloliths I'd like to suggest a potential management strategy (not exactly a treatment, just something to manage the problem). Other forum postings correctly describe the origin and sympoms, however there has yet to be an inclusive suggestion regarding comfortable removal and management. For reference from Wikipedia "A tonsillolith (also called tonsil stone, tonsillar debris, or calculus of the tonsil) is a piece (or more commonly, a cluster) of calcareous matter which forms in the rear of the mouth, in the crevasses (called tonsillar crypts) of the palatine tonsils (which are what most people commonly refer to as simply tonsils)."

I have successfuly managed my case by using a Monoject 412 Syringe intended for surgical irrigation but sold commecialy at such non medical outlet resellers as Kit Kraft (not an endorsement)http://kitkraft.biz/catalog/Monoject_412_Syringe-p-1460.html for about $1.89 or so. This model is a 12 cc disposable syringe with a tapered curved tip which does not accept a needle, but is perfect for washing out the cryptic tonsil areas. The tip is small enough to easily penetrate small pockets and allow flushing of the affected area to effectively remove existing deposits and also allow daily cleaning to prevent further build up.

I highly suggest this method along with the use of a decent flashlight and a mirror while standing over a sink. A small amount of mouthwash or salt water can also be added to the syringe volume - dilluted with water - and used to clean out the crypts. I hope this suggestion can assist those who suffer from this problem.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the Monoject 412

Attachments

• monoject412.jpg
    monoject412.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.