To Waive or Not to Waive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vince

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts about whether or not program directors have any preference about getting letters of rec when the student has not seen them?

I am trying to decide if I should waive my right to see the letter or not waive my right to see the letter of rec. On a side note, this letter will be from someone well known in the field and who offered to write me one because of great performance on a rotation.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

WAIVE. Especially since this person offered to write you the letter, pretty much assuring that it will be good. Why make the letter carry less weight by not waiving when you know it is going to be good?

A PD told me that not waiving can diminish the strength of your letters. For all the programs know, you could have asked a half dozen people to write for you and you selected only the strongest ones, which wouldn't be truly reflective of who you are.

WAIVE WAIVE WAIVE. I know of no reason not to, as I would assume either
a) you can trust that your letter writers would support your candidacy

and/or

b) your letters will be sent to some central office at your school who can "advise" you that one of your letters is less than supportive, thereby encouraging you to find another replacement.

As noted above, if you don't waive there *may* be suspicion that the letter writers do not feel completely comfortable being truthful.

Almost everyone waives and almost everyone manages to get a residency spot each year. So don't take any chances, IMHO.

Thanks for your repiles. I hadn't seen a thread like this so I figured it would be a good question all around. I hope it helped others. It definitely helped me.

WAIVE!