To the more senior folk....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earboy

pluggin away
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which textbooks would you recommend for the PGY2/PGY3 level? We have book funds delegated to us yearly that we lose if not used. I'm guessing an operative atlas of some sort. I already have the new Cummings....any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Which textbooks would you recommend for the PGY2/PGY3 level? We have book funds delegated to us yearly that we lose if not used. I'm guessing an operative atlas of some sort. I already have the new Cummings....any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your funds, but for surgical atlas, I'm a fan of Lore and Medina's book. Well done and comprehensive in my opinion. I like it better than Bailey's.

Another good choice is a subscription to Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology. Although exceptionally well done, it's expensive and probably won't provide the comprehensive scope your looking for in those years.

For more specialty specific, Larabee's book on facial flaps is crucial for the boards much cheaper than the fantastic book on the same topic by Baker. Coker and Jenkins' book on Otology is my favorite there--although it's very Baylor style specific. For general plastics, I got the Thieme book by Papel (Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery), it's ok but not great. However, best price for the amount of info you get from it.

I've focused on the atlases. There are other texts that would be very good for you, but really if you've got Cummings or Bailey and you've got KJ Lee, I doubt you'll need much more than those and the internet.

How about books for an upcoming ENT elective (i'm an MS3)? I really don't have a solid foundation in ENT and I'm at a loss on where to start. I have a whole month on an easy rotation that has no shelf so I figure I could read up on some ENT so I can hit the ground running once I start my elective.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about books for an upcoming ENT elective (i'm an MS3)? I really don't have a solid foundation in ENT and I'm at a loss on where to start. I have a whole month on an easy rotation that has no shelf so I figure I could read up on some ENT so I can hit the ground running once I start my elective.

hey, get the Pasha book and skim through that.. I loved that book for my rotation and all the residents at my hospital use it. I initially used ENT Secrets, but that one can take forever to get through and is not as high yield

Pasha's book and Secrets are plenty for the MS3's. Don't need more than that to get through most of the pimping questions. I think Secrets is a pretty good book especially if your program tends to pimp a lot. That book was/is written mostly by my residency program and most of the questions we put in there are questions that typically come up on rounds, in presentations, or on tests. At least that's what most of us generally tried to do.

I love Baker's flap book and Coker's ear atlas. Use both still today on more challenging cases. Highly recommend both as atlases that can be used both during and after residency.