to take or not to take!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayZee

drzeedo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school administers NBME shelf exams at our school (osteopathic). IF one is passing them, would it be wise to take USMLE step 2 even if they didn't do so hot on step 1? Or is it a waste of money?

Basically I'd like to kick butt on my step 2/level 2 boards to make up for so-so step 1...but don't want to risk scoring poorly on usmle step 2 ck...i just figure that the nbme shelf exams would be good preparation for nbme usmle

Members don't see this ad.

Our school administers NBME shelf exams at our school (osteopathic). IF one is passing them, would it be wise to take USMLE step 2 even if they didn't do so hot on step 1? Or is it a waste of money?

Basically I'd like to kick butt on my step 2/level 2 boards to make up for so-so step 1...but don't want to risk scoring poorly on usmle step 2 ck...i just figure that the nbme shelf exams would be good preparation for nbme usmle

Clerkship shelf exams are much harder than Step 2. However, just because you're merely passing your shelf exams doesn't mean that you'll do great on Step 2. The best way to study for Step 2 is to pay attention during your rotations and studying hard during third year. I would use recommend USMLE World over Kaplan's QBank for practice questions and some smaller review text like Secrets. If you can average about 70% on USMLE World, your Step 2 score will be good.