To Step I or not to Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdog024

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an upcoming OMS3, and have recently taken COMLEX level 1. While I feel relatively??? confident that I will pass COMLEX(got a 460 though felt like **** after the exam), I recently took NBME 25 and got a 57%. I have my Step 1 scheduled two weeks into my first elective rotation.

I have three more weeks till my rotations start but I feel like I am hitting a wall energy wise and really struggling to focus. Because of this, I am wondering whether it is worth it to take STEP 1 or to just move on and focus on rotations and STEP 2/Level 2. For context, I am considering IM/FM/Psych and am in no way looking at anything else. Too tired to be ambitious and I enjoy longitudinal care.

I guess what I am asking is whether my application will get screened out if I only take Step 2(in which case I will push through this fatigue).

Members don't see this ad.

You're borderline failing. It would be a risk to take step imo. Those specialties don't require step. Apply broadly and you'll be fine

Reactions: 1 user