To make a deposit or not: that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpsu2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure plenty of people sit in the same boat as myself , but here we go with this dilemma post+pity+:

Do I put down the money to hold my spot on my first acceptance due to fear of not gaining acceptance anywhere else/somewhere higher on my list? I understand the deposit is such a small amount in comparison to the larger picture, but I would still rather not put down thousands on schools as we go through the application cycle.

I've been back and forth on the idea of holding out for more interviews/acceptances (currently with 2 other IIs in the first week of November, 1MD 1DO).

Any advice or prior experiences (even horror stories) accepted! Thank you in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would if I had not secured another acceptance even if it was not a school I was particularly interested in. However, I would wait until like 1-2 days before it was due.

Reactions: 1 users
For DO, if you are accepted before Nov, you have until Dec 14th to make your deposit to hold your seat (if I am correct). I don't know the traffic regulations for MD though. If it were me and I had a DO acceptance, I would wait until that Dec date and then put down the money. Either way, CONGRATS!!! You got accepted to a medical school! I am facing a similar situation, but it is seriously a wonderful problem to have, and one I never thought I would have.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice both of you!

Reactions: 1 user
If it's a school you're willing to go to, yes. While you might end up losing $1,500 if you choose to go elsewhere, you're better off than the reverse scenario of having $1,500 but matriculating nowhere.

For DO, if you are accepted before Nov, you have until Dec 14th to make your deposit to hold your seat (if I am correct). I don't know the traffic regulations for MD though. If it were me and I had a DO acceptance, I would wait until that Dec date and then put down the money. Either way, CONGRATS!!! You got accepted to a medical school! I am facing a similar situation, but it is seriously a wonderful problem to have, and one I never thought I would have.
Not necessarily for all schools. CUSOM only gives you until Nov. 15th to make a decision even if you were accepted before November.

I'm in the same situation. I have been accepted to my top DO choice and would easily make the deposit, but it's 500 dollars.I have interviewed at Saint Louis University (recently) and have an interview at my home state MD school (a lot cheaper)...I am thankful to be in this dilemma, but not sure if I'll hear back from SLU or UW before December 14th. So right now, I'm waiting to put down the 500 until December if I havent heard from the other schools.

This is not true in any way. What you are quoting are just the standard guidelines set forth by AACOMAS and recommended for schools to follow. Schools have the opportunity to pick and choose when they want to receive their deposits. I wish they all followed these guidelines, though.

This is not true in any way. What you are quoting are just the standard guidelines set forth by AACOMAS and recommended for schools to follow. Schools have the opportunity to pick and choose when they want to receive their deposits. I wish they all followed these guidelines, though.

Not true in any way?? There are plenty of schools that follow the AACOMAS guidlines so I wouldn't go as far as saying that... If you get accepted, the school will let you know when the deposit is due so one way or another you find out. I was definitely in error to assume that all schools follow this guideline!

Not true in any way?? There are plenty of schools that follow the AACOMAS guidlines so I wouldn't go as far as saying that... If you get accepted, the school will let you know when the deposit is due so one way or another you find out. I was definitely in error to assume that all schools follow this guideline!
I nay have over-stated, but I meant as far as this being a mandatory guideline.

Just to be clear... If you receive an acceptance and they say you have until December... You can't lose your spot even if the class is known to fill pretty early, right? I heard the schools I got accepted to fill their class pretty early and I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my spot because I submitted my deposit a little before the deadline. Sorry, I know it's a stupid question.

Just to be clear... If you receive an acceptance and they say you have until December... You can't lose your spot even if the class is known to fill pretty early, right? I heard the schools I got accepted to fill their class pretty early and I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my spot because I submitted my deposit a little before the deadline. Sorry, I know it's a stupid question.
You might lose your spot, but the chance of that happening is very small.

I wasted a lot of money on extra deposits, lol. Should've waited, but whatever, that security was worth the confidence boost it provided.

I'm pretty sure this would be illegal... They can't say you are accepted and have until xxxxx date to confirm and then pull the rug because you only confirmed 5 days before the date.

You might lose your spot, but the chance of that happening is very small.

No, that would not happen. They can't rescind an acceptance after it has been offered unless you MISS the deadline, or something comes up like criminal charges, evidence of lying on application materials, or inability to meet the technical standards.

No, that would not happen. They can't rescind an acceptance after it has been offered unless you MISS the deadline, or something comes up like criminal charges, evidence of lying on application materials, or inability to meet the technical standards.

Alright thanks!