To current Drexel IMS'ers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAPPAPPAP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, (I hope some current IMS'ers still read this thing.) I was wondering if someone could give me advice as to how to prepare for the coursework in the fall. (names of textbooks etc.) Some of the classes, specifically biochem and immunology, I never took as an undergrad and I'm worried that I might be behind right out of the gate. Also, is the biochem that you take in the fall more rooted in chemistry or biology? I have a biochem textbook but it is pretty elementary and more biologically oriented.

I would appreciate any advice that you can give on any aspect of the IMS program. Some others who are recently admitted might also benefit. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lippincott's Biochem Review 3rd ed. has it all. I personally didn't take immunology, but that's not til the end of the first semester. Worry about biochem first. It's the biggest chunk of your first semester grade. Our notes however are wonderful so I didn't feel I had to supplement with textbooks, but if you want to prepare before class starts go ahead.

Well, the lippincott is definitely a good resource. Some of the biochem stuff is not taught very well so it may be confusing if you have never see the stuff before. Generally i don't use books as resources becasue there is soo much info that i don't have times to even look at different sources. The main focus in biochems are the biochemical pathways. I don't think u need to but if you really want to be ontop of it you could study the pathways during the summer. An easy read is the BRS (Board Review Series) biochemistry...most medical students use this to study for the boards and it is fairly concise.