To Anyone Who Has Taken The Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj1878

Water good...
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--

I am home-studying for the MCAT and wondered if anyone else had done the same, and if you had any tips for me. Should I be concerned about knowing every possible reaction(gen chem, ochem) or be more familiar with the overarching concepts(limiting reagent, condensation rxns). Overall, how did you study, for how long, and what did you score? Any suggestions would be enormously helpful!!!

Marc

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Marc,

They have some pretty good tips in the MCAT forum. I would say know the concepts much more then the facts. The ocem part only consisted of one passage on the test I took and the questions weren't too in depth, the genchem part is also pretty basic.

I studied for about 2 months over the summer and took the test last august. I didn't take Kaplan but wish I had, I also used a book that wasn't very good and mostly studied my old notes. I wouldn't recommend studying this way though and would definitely take Kaplan or Princeton if I took it again. Also, they sell practice tests on the mcat website that are kind of expensive but would probably help a lot. I scored a 30O.

Also apply early even if you're taking the test in August, many schools send out secondaries before receiving your completed file.

Good luck

Just a note on Kaplan. They offer their "web only" based services. These web services are very comprehensive and have tons of tests of individual subjects and practice tests that you can take. You can enter the answers online and get feedback on your answers. The price of this is much lower than the classroom Kaplan course. If I were to do it over again, this would definately be the way that I would go.

I took a Kaplan prep course..so that helped a lot with organization of studying material. Organic was my best subject on the MCAT and practice tests and I got a 10 in the Biological Sciences section. Yes, I would worry about knowing the organic reactions..I mean, I would worry about them more than limiting reagents. Basically, they are going to ask you the basic questions..you have this..you add this reagent..what is the final product? So definitely know the reducing and oxidizing agents, know which break double bonds, which lead to the formation of double and triple bonds, which add hydrogens (and how many) to which bonds, and so on...it was definitely on my MCAT. As for studying methods, I lived by Kaplan from the end of May until right before the MCAT in August. While I know the course is pricey, it was worth every single penny...I walked into the MCAT feeling prepared, not anxious, and I was happy with my results. If you do choose to study on your own at home, I would DEFINITELY rec. obtaining some Kaplan materials or looking into the online course as was suggested in the previous post. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied on my own using a HUGE book written by the folks at Kaplan. It was very comprehensive and it worked for me. I couldn't afford Kaplan if I did have the time to take it.

Here's what worked for me: I took a couple of practice tests and identified where my weaknesses were. Then I focused on those as much as I could for the initial month or so of studying. I stuck to overall concepts rather than getting bogged down in details--especially in OChem cause it's been a LONG time since I've taken it. I eventually realized that OChem was not happening for me and I just didn't "get it" as well as I used to and decided to focus on something that I *could* improve!

The last 2 weeks before the test, I switched my focus to the verbal reasoning part of the test. This has always been my strongest area, but I didn't want to neglect it completely. I did a few practice sections and worked on figuring out *how* the questions work. What are they asking for, how do I read to find the answer, etc. Then I spent a few days looking at strategies for the essay portion and reading a few of the examples of really good essays.

A few things to point out--it doesn't hurt to re-take the same practice questions! I did this several times to see if I was learning *anything* from the review sections in the book. (This was when I realized OChem was a lost cause pre-test). Learning to tackle verbal reasoning will help you in *all* of the test sections, but you still need to understand the overall themes of the subject. Identify your weaknesses and strengths and work on both. I might've been able to bring up my score in one of the sciences if I hadn't taken a couple of weeks for VR, but I improved my VR score over my first attempt (8 yrs ago) as well as my essay score. The closer you get to the exam, the more you should concentrate on improving the things you can improve. The week before the test is not the time to be trying desperately to cram in one more review on SN1 reactions! If you don't know it by then, you're not going to know it. (That's how I always approach tests).

And just so you know....I got a 30S on the August test last year. I home-studied the first time around (right out of college) and had a 28O. I pulled up my scores in every area except Bio Sci and I stayed the same there. I bought my study guide on eBay. It came with a CD-ROM too, which was nice for timed practices. There were also "flash cards" on the CD that you can use to pull up an occasional MCAT question whenever you're on the computer.

If you're interested, I'll see if I can find the book I used and get the ISBN for you. It was a little outdated--they've changed the distribution of questions on the MCAT, but that was easy enough to look up on the AAMC website.

Good luck to you. It's quite possible to study on your own for the exam, but it takes discipline and planning. All other things aside, Kaplan eliminates the need for you to plan a strategy for yourself. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on you.......

Willow

I used the Kaplan books and got flashcards from a friend. When people get accepted to medical school, they're more than willing to give away the books they no longer need. I don't believe in the courses, because they charge you a ton of money for classes you already took.

I studied the overall concepts, and the reactions/equations that were emphasized over and over again. I almost forgot, download the packet from AMCAS or whoever runs the MCAT because it tells you everything you NEED to know for the test.

Then I looked over the exams but didn't take them, because I didn't have the time to. I focused my studies on my weakest area (physical sciences), and reviewed the biological science, specifically the physiology.

The end.

-Aaron

I studied on my own. I used the Kaplan book that everyone is talking about as well as another book (can't remember the name of it now) that had nothing but practice tests in it. I think that practice tests helped me out the most. I took test after test after test and used the explanations of questions as a study tool. Study major concepts, things that would help you narrow down your choices even if you don't know the exact answer. I couldn't really sit down and study the Kaplan book chapter by chapter, but I could use it to look up things that I was having difficulty on during my practice tests. Learning to time the MCAT is as important as knowing the content. It doesn't help you much if you get every question right, but don't finish 15 of the questions on the section. This is especially true for the Verbal Reasoning portion. It is hard to work through those in the amount of time given.

Hihi,

Well, I think prepping on your own is kinda risky - you may or may not cover everything you need to. I personally found a prep course to have been more useful, although Princeton Review seems to be more popular around here than Kaplan. If you review on your own, choose your materials wisely.

With regards to specific subject matter material, I think that depends on the subject. I found the verbal reasoning section very easy, and I did almost no prep for it at all.

However, I hadn't even finished organic chemistry II before I took the exam, and I was surprised that there wasn't very much of it on the exam... a lot less than I thought. I think with regards to o-chem, if you have a good intuitive grasp of how electrons flow, for example, you don't need to memorize every single mechanism. I don't think it's possible to remember every single thing, but seeing the big picture helps I think. I got slammed in the bio section the hardest... it didn't help that I got Bs in Bio and a C in O-Chem I.

As for physics, I think there's a handful of equations you really should know, and the rest are mostly unnecessary to commit to memory, just be able to have a rough idea what the others are and be able to recognize it if you see it. I can't remember what they are off-hand, but I'm sure you can find those in a book about MCAT physics.

Does that help any?

The free MCAT's on line http://www.e-mcat.com/mcat2/login.asp were right on the money as to my actual score! If you want to know where you really stand then I suggest taking these test. Remember that the most important section is the verbal reasoning score. That is the honest truth. I had taken Princeton practice test and never felt like they were a true indication of where I was for the MCAT. Though I didn't subscribe to the AAMCA's MCAT prep test http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/practicetests.htm but after taking the three free ones, I would suggest paying the $80 and I was happy walking into the test knowing how I would do in the actual exam. Kaplan and Princeton courses tend to either inflate of deflate your scores on their practice exams and I hated not knowing where I really was in my preparation. This is my $0.2 on MCAT prep classes.

The questions that I remember seeing on every practice and the real MCAT were:
Organic: Diels-alder reaction, oxidations
G-chem: nuclear decay
Physics: make sure you know the "big four" equations, and harmonics. Simple electronic curcuits
Biology: know your hormones and where they come from, and I think they added some genetics questions while taking away some organic. I would study up on physiology as well (action potentials and such) and cell bio.

The rest of the test was random questions from everywhere. Sorry if I can't be more specific but the list would go on and on. :D

I went with the fat Kaplan book, on my own. I might write it again this summer if I don't get in (Canadian, haven't heard back yet), and what I would do differently is supplement the Kaplan book with a lot more practice questions. I've picked up some outdated textbooks quite cheap (OChem, Physics) and plan on working through alot more problems this time. Also, I'll get ahold of more practice tests, they were very helpful. Oh, and essays. I can write great essays, but the markers are looking for a particular style from what I read AFTER I wrote the MCAT (only got a Q.....), so I would work on formulating my essays the way they want them.

If you can afford to take a course, great, I'm sure it would be useful. However, it is far from necessary (well, depending on how smart you are, I guess, and how much you are willing to prep on your own). If you are one who has motivational or time management problems, it might be a good idea.
Good luck.

I also tool Kaplan I helped me a lot, especially with my time management.

u need to know the reactions, but not all the ones you do in school.

Get the syllabus from the AAMC and follow it closely; you won't need to know anything that's not on it. It can also help you organize yourself.

I agree with some of the above posters who said that the Kaplan materials are good--I hated orgo and didn't pay attention in uni, studied my ass off with the Kaplan stuff and got a 14 BS last Aug.

I purchased Princeton Review's Science Book from their course from someone who had already taken the exam and found that it contained all that I needed for the MCAT. No need for a course.

bgworm said:
The questions that I remember seeing on every practice and the real MCAT were:
Organic: Diels-alder reaction, oxidations
G-chem: nuclear decay
Physics: make sure you know the "big four" equations, and harmonics. Simple electronic curcuits
Biology: know your hormones and where they come from, and I think they added some genetics questions while taking away some organic. I would study up on physiology as well (action potentials and such) and cell bio.

The rest of the test was random questions from everywhere. Sorry if I can't be more specific but the list would go on and on. :D
What are the "big four" equations in physics?

UNTlabrat said:
You know, the ones that deal with kinematics/projectile motion. :)

I hate those ones. :) I took physics in 1993, so it's been a while. I've been reviewing it lately, and lots of things tickle my brain. I have a bit of work cut out for me in Physics and Chemistry.