To accept or not accept, that is the question.

lilystar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, so here's the breakdown: I'm entering UF as an freshman in the fall, coming in with a high school GPA of 4.5 (weighted) and a 3.94 unweighted.
I have AP credits for European History, US History, English Lang, and Stats and SAT II credits for Spanish.
Assuming I make the qualifying scores this year during AP testing, I will also have credits for US Government, BC Calculus, English Lit, Chemistry, Macroeconomics and Environmental Science.
I know that med schools will usually not accept AP sciences at all, so I will have to retake chemistry regardless of the score. I will most definitely be using my history credits. My main question is with English and math.

I have never had a problem with English. Math, on the other hand....I made straight A's until I hit AP math. Granted, I had tough teachers, but I was still not content with A's and B's in AP stats (and a 4 on the exam) instead of A's, and I was most definitely NOT comfortable with making B's and C's in BC Calc, even though it was known school-wide as the toughest class available. Though obviously I don't know my score yet, I know for sure it wasn't a 5.

I know that every med school's policy is different. But in general, do you think it is a good idea to retake the math and take one semester of honors English?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I didn't know you were aloud to retake AP exams. Personally I really wouldn't bother with it... you won't need up to BC calc in college anyway and it seems like you'll already have a really good basis for math as is. The only thing required is Calc I (correct me if I'm wrong someone).

I'm sure if they scale AP credits at your school you'll still have a 4.0+ GPA. I wouldn't stress about it too much, just make sure you're understanding the concepts and learning from your mistakes.

it's not retaking the AP exam...it's retaking the class in college...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, in that case. I would retake the math but not the English.

Yes. It is. If you can get an A, it will be a booster for your GPA.