TMDSAS 2021-2022 Application Cycle - Let's get started NOW!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mddoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As I write this, the 2020-2021 TMDSAS cycle is soon officially coming to an end, with RANKINGS DUE on Friday, Feb. 19, effectively ending the cycle for those who who haven't received an interview yet.

If you have not gotten interviews by now, it's safe to say it's over -- but a new cycle is just around the corner.

Especially for re-applicants, we all know by experience how much of a BEAST this application process is.

And we also know how important it is to apply EARLY -- which requires prep work to start essentially NOW (if you haven't already).

So...let's get started! This thread will be for applicants to get started on the application process TODAY!

The goal is to make sure that we have our best applications prepared in order to submit by EARLY JUNE at the LATEST. It is statistically proven that early applications get the VAST MAJORITY of interviews.

NOW is the time to enhance your application, identify your LOR writers, etc.

The other TMDSAS threads usually start in May --- assuming you've already done the prep work and submitted your primary app... with or without support....

This thread will be for those ready for to start NOW. Please post your questions on what you need help and guidance with.

Let's all truly keep each other accountable, remind of deadlines, answer questions, anything needed to help each other be successful in this process.

All the best and let's get it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NOTICE: Texas A&M Workshop for Re-Applicants

“Reapplying to Texas A&M University College of Medicine: Some Essential Factors to Consider”. It is important to seriously reflect on what you should or could do differently in the next application cycle. A workshop such as ours can help you examine some specifics as to what may have gone wrong during your previous application. The dates and times for the workshop are March 8th, 5:30 -7 p.m., March 10th, 12:00-1:30 p.m., and March 13th , 9-10:30 a.m. You may register for the workshops at https://forms.gle/aQKcmcEewXYLiiVy6 .

FYI, February 19th is only the due date for TMDSAS school rankings and Match Day this year will be March 5th.

Members don't see this ad :)
On behalf of all the current applicants: ummm, excuse me???

I'm just kidding. Good on yall for getting started early, best of luck!

Question: How worth is it to apply TMDSAS for someone who is out of state but no ties?

Question: How worth is it to apply TMDSAS for someone who is out of state but no ties?
With an LM of 82? Worth it.

Texas legislature requires all public medical schools to accept 90% TX residents. The 10% of OOS seats are reserved for high-stat applicants (in most cases). The reason I say it's worth it is largely due to the low tuition cost. Although, you may be looking at some merit-based scholarships depending on how the rest of your application looks.

With an LM of 82? Worth it.

Texas legislature requires all public medical schools to accept 90% TX residents. The 10% of OOS seats are reserved for high-stat applicants (in most cases). The reason I say it's worth it is largely due to the low tuition cost. Although, you may be looking at some merit-based scholarships depending on how the rest of your application looks.
I agree, go for it! Just make sure you have you ECs and MCAT in order as well. It's competitive on all fronts!

So in prep for my next application, I am currently retaking a couple of science course, including Org Chem II. It should be done and a grade issued before applications open.
But, I am trying to get an A and currently sitting at a B+....does anyone have any tips on how to master the material and especially master MULTIPLE CHOICE TESTS? I am still struggling greatly in this area. Thanks!

Last edited:
What are y'alls opinions for reusing the same people for LOR? I applied in 2019 and was waitlisted for 2 schools, applying again this cycle after improving my mcat. Since I've been out of school for 2 years I don't have any connections with teachers anymore. I have a new doctor that can write a new letter, but i was thinking of reusing the teacher and volunteer coordinator, and just asking them to update the letter a little. thanks for the help <3

What are y'alls opinions for reusing the same people for LOR? I applied in 2019 and was waitlisted for 2 schools, applying again this cycle after improving my mcat. Since I've been out of school for 2 years I don't have any connections with teachers anymore. I have a new doctor that can write a new letter, but i was thinking of reusing the teacher and volunteer coordinator, and just asking them to update the letter a little. thanks for the help <3
I also used the same LORs but added an employer that was new and also got an update letter from a previous LOR from a past cycle. So I think updating is fine. I've been told as long as they now you well and can write can great letter on your behalf, that's all that matters!

Reactions: 1 user
For activity/academic recognition, is there a character limit for the titles?

From what I remember, I don't think so, but they have their handbook online that you might want to look at to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a 300 character limit for all activity descriptions, including academic recognition. You have all 300 characters to describe the activity; additional info like the activity time frame, hours, contact info for supervisor are all not included in the 300 character limit.

Out of all your activities, you can select up to 3 as “most meaningful” activities where you have an additional 500 characters per activity to discuss your involvement and takeaways in more depth.

Yes, there is a 300 character limit for all activity descriptions, including academic recognition. You have all 300 characters to describe the activity; additional info like the activity time frame, hours, contact info for supervisor are all not included in the 300 character limit.

Out of all your activities, you can select up to 3 as “most meaningful” activities where you have an additional 500 characters per activity to discuss your involvement and takeaways in more depth.
Oh, perhaps I was reading his question wrong. I thought he was referring to the titles themselves? It's def true that it's 300 limit for the descriptions.

Oh, perhaps I was reading his question wrong. I thought he was referring to the titles themselves? It's def true that it's 300 limit for the descriptions.
Yes I am referring to the titles.

I was referring to the titles themselves.

Which is a better title? I was hired by SA recently and I'm not sure which title to use:

Activity name: "Scribe with ScribeAmerica" or "Scribe at Such an Such Medical Center"

Which is a better title? I was hired by SA recently and I'm not sure which title to use:

Activity name: "Scribe with ScribeAmerica" or "Scribe at Such an Such Medical Center"

From Dr. Ryan Gray, he is really big on telling a story with your description. So the actually description of the activity matters more than the title. So I would assume if it's accurate and concise, that all that really matters. It's the description you should focus on.

Friendly reminder to everyone to submit their app as early as possible! It took me 2 cycles before I was accepted. In the first cycle, I submitted late in August and didn’t receive a single interview. In my second cycle, I submitted early and ended up receiving 6 interviews from TMDSAS schools, despite having no changes from my previous first cycle app.

Reactions: 2 users
Friendly reminder to everyone to submit their app as early as possible! It took me 2 cycles before I was accepted. In the first cycle, I submitted late in August and didn’t receive a single interview. In my second cycle, I submitted early and ended up receiving 6 interviews from TMDSAS schools, despite having no changes from my previous first cycle app.
Do you mind sharing your stats and what you did during that gap year to improve your application?

No lie! I don't think people realize how important an early application is. It's all rolling admissions, meaning it's essentially first come/first-serve on interview invites.

The time is now to work on the apps, i.e at least start talking to letter of recc writers and start or begin revising the personal statement.

Only 34 days left until TMDSAS opens!

When do LOR need to be submitted by? I plan on reaching out to my LOR writers sometime in the next two weeks.

When do LOR need to be submitted by? I plan on reaching out to my LOR writers sometime in the next two weeks.
It's school dependent. The most important issue is that in order for them to actually start reviewing your app, you have them in, so it's not really about the deadline but more so about getting your application in the 'complete' status ASAP. This is just from what I have seen and been advised on.

Does anyone know if we need to have CASPer (and Duet and Snapshot) in to be complete? I am signed up for May 4th but would love to move to May 20th if possible, but do not want it to delay my application.

Does anyone know if we need to have CASPer (and Duet and Snapshot) in to be complete? I am signed up for May 4th but would love to move to May 20th if possible, but do not want it to delay my application.
how did you sign up for CASPer without alraedy having your TMDSAS id #?

Yes Casper is required to be complete (if the school is asking for it)

How early did you submit your second time?

We started up the official TMDSAS question and answer thread for 2021-2022 over here:

The EY 2022 handbook is now available for download. Read it over first & then ask questions you still may have on that thread :)

Good for you for getting started early!
Wysdoc

I'm not a sociopath. I just type very slowly. Since most of the TMDSAS schools ask for Casper, will getting the lowest percentile score on Casper strongly hinder my chances for an interview or acceptance?

I'm not a sociopath. I just type very slowly. Since most of the TMDSAS schools ask for Casper, will getting the lowest percentile score on Casper strongly hinder my chances for an interview or acceptance?
No I don't think so. I believe some schools just use them for statistical purposes (e.g. SHSU).

Status
Not open for further replies.