*~*~*TMDSAS 2017*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll plan to apply to a handful of schools that offer in-state tuition after the 1st year & a couple of schools in other locations where I'd be happy living for a while. Maybe even UoP. I'm a bit older than the average applicant & I certainly wouldn't mind a shorter program to get practicing sooner, even if it does come with a hefty price tag. My list is still fluctuating a bit really, but ideally I'll end up in TX...fingers crossed!
where do you get info on which schools offer in-state tuition after 1st year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a dentist four separate times over two years, should I put it into healthcare activities as four separate entries or one for two years? I have it as four but don't want to crowd that section and have other activities overlooked!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I shadowed a dentist four separate times over two years, should I put it into healthcare activities as four separate entries or one for two years? I have it as four but don't want to crowd that section and have other activities overlooked!!

Just put it all down as 1 entry. It's the same dentist right?

@EasTexan it feels like just yesterday you were starting last years thread... Oh how time flies.
It's almost unbelievable that we're at this point already...

When I get some free time I plan to tidy up all the stats I collected from last year's cycle and post them (with usernames removed). It can be useful for current applicants and those planning to apply in the future. It's also good at causing lots of anxiety. Fun fun!

Good luck everyone!

Oh, and Gig 'Em!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys! Also, I work in Oral cancer research and do some assisting at UTHealth in Houston! I am also applying this cycle so I am always asking questions to different faculty there and if you guys have any specific questions needing to be answered don't hesitate to PM me! I can ask the appropriate people and get right back to you :) hope this helps someone!

Reactions: 1 users
Just put it all down as 1 entry. It's the same dentist right?
Wouldn't this dilute the hours per week shadowed, like maybe it might make it at .25 hours per week (just spit balling here) and make it look all weird?

Because I'm having this problem and im thinking of putting same dentist 2 or 3 times

Wouldn't this dilute the hours per week shadowed, like maybe it might make it at .25 hours per week (just spit balling here) and make it look all weird?

Because I'm having this problem and im thinking of putting same dentist 2 or 3 times

No, let's say over the entire course of the summer you shadowed for 100 hours, and you did so in 20 visits of 5 hours. Well if you shadowed only 4 weeks out of the entire summer. For 20 hours a week spread through out, you list your dates as the entire summer (may-jul) and then say 20 hours a week for a total of 100

No, let's say over the entire course of the summer you shadowed for 100 hours, and you did so in 20 visits of 5 hours. Well if you shadowed only 4 weeks out of the entire summer. For 20 hours a week spread through out, you list your dates as the entire summer (may-jul) and then say 20 hours a week for a total of 100
Ok, I see. So I could put (august -june) 100 hours volunteer and I did about 8 hours a week on only 13 weeks, of the 52 weeks, I just put that year time frame and say 8 hours a week? Just double checking I understood correctly!

Ok, I see. So I could put (august -june) 100 hours volunteer and I did about 8 hours a week on only 13 weeks, of the 52 weeks, I just put that year time frame and say 8 hours a week? Just double checking I understood correctly!

Yes I believe so

Members don't see this ad :)
It's almost unbelievable that we're at this point already...

When I get some free time I plan to tidy up all the stats I collected from last year's cycle and post them (with usernames removed). It can be useful for current applicants and those planning to apply in the future. It's also good at causing lots of anxiety. Fun fun!

Good luck everyone!

Oh, and Gig 'Em!
I thought you quit SDN.

Reactions: 1 user

Well it wont let you put anything less than 1 hour or decimals so if you shadowed six hours in Apr you have to put 1 hour average per month for Apr 2016-apr 2016 and then 6 hours cumulative. At least that is what I am doing but I am not sure that is the best way

On the transcript request form, what does it mean by student ID? There's a TMDSAS ID and a student ID

On the transcript request form, what does it mean by student ID? There's a TMDSAS ID and a student ID

Your student ID # if you have one (usually called a Peoplesoft number). TMDSAS ID# is it's own separate line.

This is probably a dumb question but on the College Coursework section when adding classes it asks for:

Credit Hours
(format ##.#): ..... on format for 3 credit hours do we put 03.0 or 3.0 or 3? Or it doesn't matter at all

This is probably a dumb question but on the College Coursework section when adding classes it asks for:

Credit Hours
(format ##.#): ..... on format for 3 credit hours do we put 03.0 or 3.0 or 3? Or it doesn't matter at all
You put #3.0. Its a hashtag

Is there anyway to see our DAT scores on TMDSAS or ADA website?

Are yall writing the descriptions in first person? I emailed TMDSAS to ask and was told "it's a description not a narrative". However my unis writing center said to use complete first person sentences??

Are yall writing the descriptions in first person? I emailed TMDSAS to ask and was told "it's a description not a narrative". However my unis writing center said to use complete first person sentences??

I'm writing it in first person. It would sound weird any other way haha

End of the day, just be consistent. Don't do first person on one and not on the next.

When y'all put something under 2 categories, such as community service and leadership, do you include the same description?

Hey guys! Also, I work in Oral cancer research and do some assisting at UTHealth in Houston! I am also applying this cycle so I am always asking questions to different faculty there and if you guys have any specific questions needing to be answered don't hesitate to PM me! I can ask the appropriate people and get right back to you :) hope this helps someone!
I hear UTSD really likes personal statements is that true? Or have you heard anything like that? How they really are either impressed or not by you. Not stats or DAT wise but just you as a person. Because my stats aren't too high but I'm hoping I can wow the committee with my PS.

Also! How did you get your research position at the school? That is so amazing!!! Please give details. :)

I hear UTSD really likes personal statements is that true? Or have you heard anything like that? How they really are either impressed or not by you. Not stats or DAT wise but just you as a person. Because my stats aren't too high but I'm hoping I can wow the committee with my PS.
UTSD has the highest incoming GPA out of all the schools in Texas, and one of the highest in the country.
Stats aren't everything, but they are important at any school you apply to.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually did hear that they want someone who is an all rounder from the dean who works in my department but they said that since stats are their initial impression those are quite significant in their judgement of you as an applicant but they give considerable weight to your extracurricular and personal statement. They told me they want someone who shows commitment to the profession and look at the entire application to see how committed and successful the applicant will be in d school. They want to see a community wide effort and focus in your extracurricular not just private practice but dental volunteer events for underserved and underprivileged areas and people too. Haha I got the research after a tedious process of emailing almost 80 people ahah.

Reactions: 4 users
When y'all put something under 2 categories, such as community service and leadership, do you include the same description?

Indeed sah, it being the same activity and all that.

I know this has been repeated many times but I need some clarification...

When you submit your app without the DAT, do they wait til they get your scores to verify your grades, letters,etc? Or do they verify all of it when you send it in right away?

Does that make sense? I've been staring at this message for 15minutes trying to see if it made sense to me...forgive me, it's finals week :confused::confused::sleep:

When you submit your app without the DAT, do they wait til they get your scores to verify your grades, letters,etc? Or do they verify all of it when you send it in right away?

Does that make sense? I've been staring at this message for 15minutes trying to see if it made sense to me...forgive me, it's finals week :confused::confused::sleep:
They start verifying things as soon as you get them in.

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking this, it was a big help! That's crazy. I thought they would start the verification process once the entire app is complete. I'm also going to call the TMDSAS customer service to ask this question and see if they have anything different or more to say.

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking this, it was a big help! That's crazy. I thought they would start the verification process once the entire app is complete. I'm also going to call the TMDSAS customer service to ask this question and see if they have anything different or more to say.

Np!
Awesome. Let us know what they say. I'm sure @Advance is correct though. That guy has never given me bad info!

Np!
Awesome. Let us know what they say. I'm sure @Advance is correct though. That guy has never given me bad info!
Yeah they verify LORs, Transcripts, DAT scores, and application independently.

After you pay your 140$ and submit your application will go into a Queue.
On the homepage you will see three dates.

Currently processing applications submitted on : XX/XX/XXXX
Currently processing transcripts received on : XX/XX/XXXX
Currently processing LORs received on: XX/XX/XXXX

These dates are the current processing times.

Even if your DAT scores aren't in everything will start being processed without them.
And when your scores come in the Texas schools will be notified and your application will be updated with your DAT scores.

Last edited:
Yeah they verify LORs, Transcripts, DAT scores, and application independently.

After you pay your 140$ and submit your application will go into a Queue.
On the [status] page you will see three dates.

Currently processing applications submitted on : XX/XX/XXXX
Currently processing transcripts received on : XX/XX/XXXX
Currently processing LORs received on: XX/XX/XXXX

Even if your DAT scores aren't in everything will start being processed without them.
And when your scores come in the Texas schools will be notified and your application will be updated with your DAT scores.

Thanks again brother.
I read "Queue" as "Queso". Now I want queso.

Reactions: 5 users
So I requested transcripts from all attended schools; however, they were sent to my home address. Do I need to request all transcripts again or could I send the ones I received in addition to the request form. All received transcripts are sealed and in perfect shape, Im just curious if one MUST have the transcripts sent to TMDSAS directly?????

So I requested transcripts from all attended schools; however, they were sent to my home address. Do I need to request all transcripts again or could I send the ones I received in addition to the request form. All received transcripts are sealed and in perfect shape, Im just curious if one MUST have the transcripts sent to TMDSAS directly?????
My advisor told me you could mail them yourself as long as you include the form tmdsas makes you fill out

It's fine. You can send them yourself to TMDSAS as long as they're sealed and tagged along with the request form.

Do any of you know if Texas schools look at B+'s? +,- grades? I've made a couple B+'s from some science courses and I was only less than one point away in all of them and am really discouraged by my transcript and how many "b's" I have. Especially for Texas.

Do any of you know if Texas schools look at B+'s? +,- grades? I've made a couple B+'s from some science courses and I was only less than one point away in all of them and am really discouraged by my transcript and how many "b's" I have. Especially for Texas.
They look at everything. B's aren't the end of the world. Try not to let the application process stress you out (easier said than done). Just apply and see what happens.

If we have courses that weren't assigned grades, for example labs in which the grade was with the lecture so there was no separate grade for that, how would we put it in the application? I can't see anything for saying that a grade wasn't assigned. Should I put Bio lecture and lab together and just put 1 grade for that, even though they were separate on the transcript? Or should I put "credit" for the lab and have it separate?

Last edited:
When is the technical "first batch" for TMDSAS?

I'm not sure, but I don't think TX schools consider +/- in GPA. None of my transcripts (from 4 schools overall) specify any +/-, just letter grades.

My alma mater uses +/-. Tmdsas said to enter it as it appears on your transcript. They will convert it to neutral letters. Example:
C- = C
B+ = B
Etc

If you have a lot of -'s, your calculated GPA will be much higher. :)