****tmdsas 2014****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's everyone's #1? Hard for me to say before interviews, so many good things about each school. I would guess SA, but that's just because it's the least urban school :D

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like they are all very good schools. With your stats you don't have to worry but I'd be ecstatic to get into any of the 3.

I feel like they are all very good schools. With your stats you don't have to worry but I'd be ecstatic to get into any of the 3.

There's a lot more to it than stats for sure. I know how you feel, they are all such great schools. Everytime someone says "____ has a great ____" I think "Isn't that true for all of them?":laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, but aside from location or family, why would one pick Houston over the other 2 dental schools?

Just curious, but aside from location or family, why would one pick Houston over the other 2 dental schools?
Because of the brand-new state-of-the-art sim-lab, the brand-new facility, and it's located at TMC.

yup, Houston is my #1 choice! anyone else been getting interview invites yet from Texas schools?

Because of the brand-new state-of-the-art sim-lab, the brand-new facility, and it's located at TMC.

The new school is beautiful and is much better than the old dental branch building. Though there's definitely a few things the school could improve (*ahem* covered parking *ahem*).

Howdy!

So I submitted my TMDSAS app on 6/13 and it says it was transmitted to the schools on 6/27. received email conformation from Baylor on 6/27, Houston on 7/3 and SA on 7/11. I retook my DAT on 7/22 and it still doesn't show that those scores have been received by TMDSAS. I was just wondering if anyone in a similar situation knew about how long it would take for my scores to get there and then to the schools. The day after I took my DAT I emailed a copy of my unofficial score report to Baylor and Houston but not SA because they didn't say anything about me sending them any updated info when they sent the "we have received your app" email. I'm just starting to get a little nervous because I haven't gotten any interview invites yet. Anyone in a similar situation timeline wise?

Did your scores ever get uploaded?
I submitted all my stuff the same times as you except I took my DAT on 7/28 and TMDSAS has still not updated as having received the scores. I'm hoping it will be this time next week.

I'm starting to hear from a lot of people that SA is the better of the three schools in Texas and that I should choose them if I get an offer from them. And this is from heads of residency programs in HOUSTON.

I'm starting to hear from a lot of people that SA is the better of the three schools in Texas and that I should choose them if I get an offer from them. And this is from heads of residency programs in HOUSTON.

I'm always skeptical of folks ranking schools. It's very difficult, and no one person has the empirical knowledge to do it. For every "this is better" there are 2 "it's the worst". I'd figure out what you like about the schools and go from there. I've enjoyed talking to students and hearing their complaints.

I'm always skeptical of folks ranking schools. It's very difficult, and no one person has the empirical knowledge to do it. For every "this is better" there are 2 "it's the worst". I'd figure out what you like about the schools and go from there. I've enjoyed talking to students and hearing their complaints.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think each school is better in one aspect. Houston for its new building/location, SA for research/curriculum, and Baylor for Lab Work/? .

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think each school is better in one aspect. Houston for its new building/location, SA for research/curriculum, and Baylor for Lab Work/? .

Well that's the same issue. Where is the empirical evidence for this? The hunches of thousands of students? Faculty? I don't know enough about these schools to have these opinions. I'm not saying these aren't true, I just don't know how/why.

:rolleyes:

:thumbup:

They're all good schools. Lots of clinicians, Lots.

You don't rank these schools, these schools rank YOU.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's the same issue. Where is the empirical evidence for this? The hunches of thousands of students? Faculty? I don't know enough about these schools to have these opinions. I'm not saying these aren't true, I just don't know how/why.

Regardless of what the schools are "known" for, it is without a doubt that all three schools are excellent schools, with a sound curriculum that WILL produce good doctors. Acceptance from any of these schools would be an honor, therefore those living in Texas should feel very fortunate that they do so. When it comes to school rankings, those statistics need to be based on something concrete, so when it comes down to it, they are just based on how much funding they receive for research (hence why SA is up there).

The school you pick should be based on where you feel most at home. Where you feel most comfortable because the location, the vibes, the atmosphere of where you are going to be staying for the next 4-6 years should be the last thing to worry about amongst the rigors of dental school.

In a nutshell: Go with your gut.

Last edited:
Also, explicitly according to UTSD themselves last year, they are apparently in desperate need of more endowed chairs. The slightly higher tuition is/was a result of this need; not because of the brand-new facility.

When is baylor's first round of interviews? I remember being in yalls place this time last year! I'm going through orientation at baylor. Hope to see some of yall around! Best of luck!

TMDSAS thread is dead this year or wuuuuut. The schools seem like they're taking a bit more time this year or are people just not posting? I know there baylor and SA sent out a few batches already.. anyone else?

Yup, a dead thread. Good news for me today, as my app was finally transmitted to the schools! Took 16 days, so that's not bad I suppose. Now I can finally get nervous :D

The TMDSAS thread last year was nowhere near this dead.

Has anyone who transmitted in July gotten interviews with Texas schools?

Got an interview invite from Baylor last Friday. Date is 9/18, which is a Wednesday??? haha

At my SA interview, there were atleast 3 or 4 people with Houston and Baylor interviews lined up. I dont think they get on sdn

I sent my unofficial dat score report to baylor yesterday so everything is complete for baylor. How long do you guys think it takes for the dat scores to get to the other schools since they don't accept unofficial score reports. I know san antonio doesn't. Does Houston accept unofficial reports?

I sent my unofficial dat score report to baylor yesterday so everything is complete for baylor. How long do you guys think it takes for the dat scores to get to the other schools since they don't accept unofficial score reports. I know san antonio doesn't. Does Houston accept unofficial reports?

Mine took 12 days.

Only Baylor accepts unofficial reports. I called Houston and SA and they both said they only take the official reports.

I took my DAT July 28th, and it updated on TMDSAS as received on Aug. 16th.

Haven't received any interview invites yet. My stats are average and extracurriculars aren't great, so I'm just keeping hopeful.

Only Baylor accepts unofficial reports. I called Houston and SA and they both said they only take the official reports.

I took my DAT July 28th, and it updated on TMDSAS as received on Aug. 16th.

Haven't received any interview invites yet. My stats are average and extracurriculars aren't great, so I'm just keeping hopeful.

I had actually emailed Houston and she replied to me this morning asking me to go ahead and email the unofficial scores to her. So only San Antonio doesn't accept unofficial report but Baylor and Houston do.

Anyone else hear about interview invites, etc?

All quiet here. No word from any Texas school yet...

Tried calling the schools today to make sure they have everything they need. Only got a hold of San Antonio. They said its still really early and there's only been 2 interview sessions so far.

Tried calling the schools today to make sure they have everything they need. Only got a hold of San Antonio. They said its still really early and there's only been 2 interview sessions so far.

They lied... There's been 3!!! :p

They lied... There's been 3!!! :p

Lol oh no!!

What if the Texas schools are choosing to mostly interview people who aren't on SDN..? Judging by how dead this thread is I think that's a possibility.

Lol oh no!!

What if the Texas schools are choosing to mostly interview people who aren't on SDN..? Judging by how dead this thread is I think that's a possibility.
tumbleweed.gif
tumbleweed%255B1%255D.gif
tumbleweed.gif

Still no confirmation e-mail from SA. At least that means they haven't rejected me, lol...:)

Anybody know how long it takes them to import DAT scores?
hu9i.jpg

Also, flipping through last year's thread, it appears the majority of the invites and interviews happened in mid-September through November. That's enough to calm me down :D

Also, flipping through last year's thread, it appears the majority of the invites and interviews happened in mid-September through November. That's enough to calm me down :D

If you don't get an interview then what hope is there for the rest of us? You'll be fine, it's just a waiting game for right now. Come this December they'll be the ones sweating because they won't know which of the 3 you'll decide to go to :laugh:

If you don't get an interview then what hope is there for the rest of us? You'll be fine, it's just a waiting game for right now. Come this December they'll be the ones sweating because they won't know which of the 3 you'll decide to go to :laugh:

:laugh: Well I thought the 3 people who read this thread would like to know!

I received a confirmation e-mail from San Antonio yesterday morning.

oGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.4
Chem degree
19 AA
Submitted 8/14

I emailed Houston yesterday to ask for a confirmation that everything is complete. I received a reply today telling me to check the TMDSAS website. Its just a little unnerving because receiving that "Application Complete" email from other schools really reduces my paranoia. :shifty:

oGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.4
Chem degree
19 AA
Submitted 8/14

So random. I submitted 8/5 and have heard nothing! Did you submit that day or was that the day it was transmitted to the schools?

I emailed Houston yesterday to ask for a confirmation that everything is complete. I received a reply today telling me to check the TMDSAS website. Its just a little unnerving because receiving that "Application Complete" email from other schools really reduces my paranoia. :shifty:

It's totally random. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. I got my Houston e-mail the same day my app was transmitted to the schools, but nothing yet from SA for nearly a month.

Last edited:
So random. I submitted 8/5 and have heard nothing! Did you submit that day or was that the day it was transmitted to the schools?

It's totally random. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. I got my Houston e-mail the same day my app was transmitted to the schools, but nothing yet from SA for nearly a month.

I believe it was transmitted the last week of August. I haven't heard anything since besides some little contact to clarify some points in my app

Does anyone know people that get interviews if they apply at the end of September ??

Does anyone know people that get interviews if they apply at the end of September ??

From my understanding, the schools in Texas to a pretty good job at giving everyone who applies up to October a fair opportunity to be granted interviews/acceptance. Houston emphasized that they actually reserve seats for students who interview in February even, granted of course the later you apply, the less competitive you'll be and they will take the delay into consideration, but it isn't impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding, the schools in Texas to a pretty good job at giving everyone who applies up to October a fair opportunity to be granted interviews/acceptance. Houston emphasized that they actually reserve seats for students who interview in February even, granted of course the later you apply, the less competitive you'll be and they will take the delay into consideration, but it isn't impossible.

Hm, thanks for the info ! I think I will apply at the end of this month to give it a shot.

Isn't the deadline in 3 weeks?

End of the month? You need to apply right now. The deadline is October 1st, and you need to get your transcripts and other documents in friend.

The deadline is in 3 weeks, but it is worth a try. I was planning to apply next year, but I wanna apply this year to see my weakness. I finished everything, just need get my letter of recs and transcripts.