****tmdsas 2011****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2011 TMDSAS cycle is now open!

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! Post questions if you have any...

Members don't see this ad.

The 2011 TMDSAS cycle is now open!

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! Post questions if you have any...

Thanks for making this. It is funny to have 2 TDMSAS tread at the same time. 2010 tread is the longest TMDSAS tread by far.

Good luck every one who is applying this year.:xf:

Should I be using TMDSAS if I do not plan to apply to TX schools?

What about AADSAS?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I be using TMDSAS if I do not plan to apply to TX schools?

What about AADSAS?

You should use AADSAS. TMDSAS is just for TX residents applying to TX schools.

wow.. i can't believe the new app is already open.
good luck everyone!

It seems interesting (or rather odd) that TX schools require an additional app, or an app in place of AADSAS.

Why can't there just be a standard :rolleyes:

It seems interesting (or rather odd) that TX schools require an additional app, or an app in place of AADSAS.

Dear MrBean,

Texas is the first and only state to have electronic application for Dental/Medical school, and when all other states finally had theirs electronic, Texas did not change hers.

BTW: we are a LONE STAR State :smuggrin:

Dear MrBean,

Texas is the first and only state to have electronic application for Dental/Medical school, and when all other states finally had theirs electronic, Texas did not change hers.

BTW: we are a LONE STAR State :smuggrin:

It all makes so much more sense now :laugh:

Helpful Tips for Re-applicants (first-time applicants ignore this post)

**You can save your TMDSAS Application Summary from last year as a PDF.
1) Sign into your old account: https://tmdsas.interfolio.com/
2) Click 'View Application Summary' located on the right.
3) Click 'Save as PDF'

**You can also access uploaded documents (such as Letters of Recommendation) via the Interfolio website: http://www.interfolio.com/
1) Sign in using the same login info for TMDSAS and follow instructions for delivery, very straight forward.

You can print or send documents (around $4) however if you submitted a Health Professions Letter Packet you can't receive it directly as it's confidential, but you can send it to another institution to be received by email or physically as a packet.

**Interfolio Contact Info: 1 (877) 773-6546
(Press '0' when u get to the menu, hold time was less than a minute :thumbup:)

Hope this helps,
Best of luck to everyone applying.

For more info see the email below:
================================================

The Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service (TMDSAS) application for last year's (entry year 2010) application cycle was hosted by Interfolio, Inc. Beginning with the entry year 2011 application cycle, the TMDSAS application will no longer be hosted by Interfolio.
What if I want to apply to TMDSAS again?
For information on how to submit an entry year 2011 application to the Texas Medical and Dental School Application service, please visit http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/. The application for entry year 2011 will be available Monday, May 3rd at 8:00 am CST.

What happens to the data that I entered into the entry year 2010 TMDSAS application?
The data that you entered into last year's application will be available at https://tmdsas.interfolio.com until September 30, 2010. Please note, this data will not transfer to the new TMDSAS application system. If re-applying, you will need to begin a new application for entry year 2011.

What happens to the supporting documents that I sent as part of the entry year 2010 TMDSAS application?
As part of your application process last year, an Interfolio account was created for you and the letters of recommendation and other documents that were uploaded into the TMDSAS application were saved in your Interfolio account. Interfolio is an online letters of recommendation service that offers individuals one central place to store and distribute their most important documents. Your Interfolio account will be expiring soon. This has no bearing on your current TMDSAS application. If you plan to re-apply this year, you will need to access the TMDSAS website.

What do I do with my Interfolio account?
You may do nothing and allow your Interfolio account to expire, but you will lose access to your letters and other documents. Or, you can renew your account and retain access to your documents. Annual account fees begin at $19/year.

As stated above, Interfolio will not host the TMDSAS application for the 2011 application cycle; however, if you renew your Interfolio account, you may add your updated/new documents for the 2011 application to your Interfolio account and then request that they be submitted to TMDSAS through the Interfolio service. Electronic deliveries start at $4.00 per delivery. If preferred, you may send your documents directly to TMDSAS.

How do I access my Interfolio account?
You can access your Interfolio account by logging in to www.interfolio.com using your email address and the password you used for your TMDSAS application. If you have trouble remembering your password, you can click the "Forgot Password" link next to the login boxes.

Why should I renew my Interfolio account?
If you think you will want to use your documents for additional applications or internships, renewing your account will allow you to manage and send them to any destination (view our delivery options and fees). You will also be able to add new documents to your account.

What happens if I don't renew my account?
Your Interfolio account will expire. This means that you will not be able to log in to your Interfolio account anymore so you will lose access to the letters and other documents currently in your Interfolio account.

For more information about Interfolio, please visit www.interfolio.com, email [email protected], or call us at 877-77FOLIO.
For questions about the TMDSAS application, please contact TMDSAS at 512-499-4785 or [email protected].
Best,
The Interfolio Team

Because we're TEXAS and F U all.:laugh:

Good luck to everyone applying this year's cycle!!

TMDSAS threads are always my favorite (i did create 2010 one hehe) since it has always been so helpful..

I know most of Texas residents usually focus on 3 TX dental schools and maybe just few out-of-state schools but I suggest those who are not feeling completely competitive to seriously consider applying to large number of out-of-state schools to really increase your chance (and also remember, because you got interviewed last year it does not guarantee you will receive those interviews again this year unless you kept on improving your application. I got interviews from SA and Baylor from 2009 cycle but did not get any in 2010 cycle from texas schools).

There is always HPSP scholarship (military) which will pay for all your tuition no matter where you go so don't try to worry about tuition and just apply to schools that you think you can get into (our USC class of 2014 already has 4 people from UT and 1 from A&M).

Anyways, best of luck to everyone!!

Not sure what to do for this part of the application- I was in the Honors College at my university throughout all 4 years and graduated with Honors. But, there was a semester where by semester (not cumulative) gpa dropped below a 3.25 which is the requirement for the Honors College. Therefore, I was on Honors probation for a semester until I brought it up the next semester. Do I need to include this in the application? Academic probation is if your gpa falls below a 2.00 and mine was no where near that so I am stumped on what to do......

Members don't see this ad :)
just a quick heads up...i applied to one random OSS (UT-Memphis) and although i was accepted to baylor and houston, the admission's guy said he doesnt even look at applications from texas residents

Not sure what to do for this part of the application- I was in the Honors College at my university throughout all 4 years and graduated with Honors. But, there was a semester where by semester (not cumulative) gpa dropped below a 3.25 which is the requirement for the Honors College. Therefore, I was on Honors probation for a semester until I brought it up the next semester. Do I need to include this in the application? Academic probation is if your gpa falls below a 2.00 and mine was no where near that so I am stumped on what to do......

Why don't you just include it and explain the situation? I believe you have an opportunity to do that in your optional essays. I know most applicants on TMDSAS probably only wrote their personal statement and didn't include optional essays, but I used one to address a discrepancy in my application and how I learned from it.

That's a good idea.....thanks for the advice.
I have a question about the DAT score report- when I took the DAT back in March I requested my scores to be sent to all 3 Texas dental schools. Is there anything else I need to do?

That's a good idea.....thanks for the advice.
I have a question about the DAT score report- when I took the DAT back in March I requested my scores to be sent to all 3 Texas dental schools. Is there anything else I need to do?

Not really. Once you submit to all 3 Texas schools it is also sent to TMDSAS. So just check with TMDSAS if you scores are on file once you set up your account. If it was later in the cycle I would check with the schools to see if the scores were received. But try refrain from contacting the schools too much. They get a bit irritated (understandably so after a crap load of people keep calling them).

just a quick heads up...i applied to one random OSS (UT-Memphis) and although i was accepted to baylor and houston, the admission's guy said he doesnt even look at applications from texas residents

Yeah UT-Memphis is very different from many schools (they do not even use AADSAS and in order to apply I think you have to turn in your application separately just for them).

When I said look into Out-Of-State options, make sure that you to do lot of researching before finding the right school to apply to (make sure to buy the ADEA Guide to Dental School which is about $40 that can be one of the best resources for this research)

Couple of things to look for when applying to OOS: (all these can be found from ADEA book)

1. Available Seats for OOS vs. In-state students
2. GPA/DAT range and Median
3. Accepted Student Numbers of race/ethnicity (e.g. some schools tend to take more Asians than others)
4. Tuition for OOS and whether you can get in-state tuition after the first year
5. If school has agreement with border states that do not have dental schools (you should be careful because although some dental schools accept OOS applicants, they only take them from border states that do not have dental schools)
6. Course Requirements (make sure you have pre-reqs for that school / have time to finish before summer)
7. Special Instruction (e.g. Boston University requires you to submit a letter/email from a dentist that tells them that you have met the minimum required shadowing hours)

Take your time when you're trying to choose which schools to apply to.

Do DAT scores need to be sent again if I'm reapplying? Or do schools keep them for a few years?

I will be applying this cycle and just wanted to wish everyone good luck!

anyone else having problems loging in to the 2010 to get all their info? It says they will have all of it untill Sept 30th.

anyone else having problems loging in to the 2010 to get all their info? It says they will have all of it untill Sept 30th.

Problem: each time i try and log in with UN and PW, it automatically shows that ive been logged out. It would not display any other information and give me the login screen again.

Solution: I called interfolio and that was almost useless, the operator said the application summary was unavailable now that it is closed, and that I needed to call TMDSAS to request a copy of my 2010 app. she was clueless on them keeping the info untill sept 30.

But she had mentioned something about the browser maybe having a conflict. Unaware of the browser settings, i switched computers at the college library and tried again, and it came up with no problems.

*when clicking on save as PDF, the file that is created is corrupted and does not show all the fields that were entered on the screen. So be careful not to rely on it. I just selected it all and copy and pasted it to a word file and got all the information.

hope this helps.

are you talking about UH honors college?
same thing happened to me, i went ahead and put that i was honors probation

Do DAT scores need to be sent again if I'm reapplying? Or do schools keep them for a few years?

I had the same questions and contacted TMDSAS and they told me I can just send it to one of the three schools and TMDSAS will get the score. No need to send to all three if it'll all end up at the same place. That saves you $50.

Do most ppl fill out the optional essays portion? I am going to do so and was wondering what should go there...

For example, I'm an immigrant and first generation college student, it is too cheesy to talk about my hardships?

Thanks.

Do most ppl fill out the optional essays portion? I am going to do so and was wondering what should go there...

For example, I'm an immigrant and first generation college student, it is too cheesy to talk about my hardships?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if many people filled out the optional essays. IMO, I think it's better if you do. I know I did for the last cycle.

And, I don't think it's too cheesy to talk about hardships in your personal statement :)

Just started filling out the application today, this is pretty exciting. The only issue is they want all this information I can't remember...like SAT scores, hahah. Guess I'll be calling my university tomorrow.

Just started filling out the application today, this is pretty exciting. The only issue is they want all this information I can't remember...like SAT scores, hahah. Guess I'll be calling my university tomorrow.

Yeah actually I had a question about SAT scores. Didn't they change the way it is scored a few years ago?

Yeah actually I had a question about SAT scores. Didn't they change the way it is scored a few years ago?

Yup, but you are also asked the month/year of when you took the SAT. The system then recognizes whether or not your score is out of a possible 1600 (or 2400).

Is it pretty late to take DAT in July if I'm applying this cycle?
I was going to take in June, but I checked the seat availability at the testing site closest to me but it's all closed now.. :'( never good to procrastinate to do anything in this process..

Is it pretty late to take DAT in July if I'm applying this cycle?
I was going to take in June, but I checked the seat availability at the testing site closest to me but it's all closed now.. :'( never good to procrastinate to do anything in this process..

Nope. I took my DAT the 1st week of August and still had all my interviews pre-Dec.

I'm going to apply thru TMDSAS and AADSAS. Does this mean I need to have my professors/dentist who are writing me an LOR send 2 copies of their LORs......one copy to TMDSAS and the other copy to AADSAS?

Does anyone know how to use Interfolio for my TMDSAS LOR's? I've searched for hours trying to figure this out ...

Am I supposed to use Interfolio's "Confidential Letter of Recommendation" document type for my TMDSAS LOR's?

Am I correct in thinking that I should send TWO different Interfolio request forms to my professor, one asking for his actual letter, and the other asking for the filled-in TMDSAS Evaluation Form? (Interfolio offers a document type called "Confidential Evaluation". Is that what I should use for this second Interfolio request form?)

Could I then have Interfolio bundle the two items from my professor together (LOR + TMDSAS Eval Form) and send it to TMDSAS?

Do any of you know what section I can put down conferences where I presented my research?

I'm going to apply thru TMDSAS and AADSAS. Does this mean I need to have my professors/dentist who are writing me an LOR send 2 copies of their LORs......one copy to TMDSAS and the other copy to AADSAS?

Yes.

Anybody know if AADSAS has a similar LOR form as TMDSAS does? I'd like to get those to my teachers/dentist asap.

You're alive!

Hi, Buddy I am alive and dealing with 22 hours loading(one more test to go tomorrow) and of course with my rejections! and preparing for graduating this summer! :laugh:

Hi, Buddy I am alive and dealing with 22 hours loading(one more test to go tomorrow) and of course with my rejections! and preparing for graduating this summer! :laugh:

I feel ya, I've got all my finals this week and then I'm graduated! It's stressful though because I'm borderline A/B in a couple of classes...

Are you reapplying this cycle?

I took the DAT 3/19 and am retaking it 6/21. I am planning on submitting my application by the end of this week, but since I am retaking do they still go ahead and look at it or just wait until they receive my 2nd score? Not sure how it works....

I took the DAT 3/19 and am retaking it 6/21. I am planning on submitting my application by the end of this week, but since I am retaking do they still go ahead and look at it or just wait until they receive my 2nd score? Not sure how it works....

They may review your app but I doubt they'll do anything with it until they get your retake scores. Especially if you've indicated on the app that you plan on retaking.

So what are all of the schools that y'all are applying to? Here is my list:

Baylor College of Dentistry
Columbia University
Harvard School of Dental Medicine
New York University
University of California, L.A.
University of Connecticut
University of Pacific
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
University of Texas, Houston
University of Texas, San Antonio

Man, I have a biochem final on Wed and I do not feel like studying at all. The good thing is that it is my last final, but then I have to start studying for the DAT. Any tips for a guy who sucks at standardized tests?

So what are all of the schools that y'all are applying to? Here is my list:

Baylor College of Dentistry
Columbia University
Harvard School of Dental Medicine
New York University
University of California, L.A.
University of Connecticut
University of Pacific
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
University of Texas, Houston
University of Texas, San Antonio

Man, I have a biochem final on Wed and I do not feel like studying at all. The good thing is that it is my last final, but then I have to start studying for the DAT. Any tips for a guy who sucks at standardized tests?

I'm thinking about reapplying this time to just the Texas schools. I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot, but I think I would be happier here than anywhere else.

I'm thinking about reapplying this time to just the Texas schools. I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot, but I think I would be happier here than anywhere else.

Yeah, I really want to stay in Texas for school too. It will all depend on where my girlfriend gets in.

Does anyone know if the optional essays are really optional? Will it hurt if I only submit my personal statement? I really don't know what to write for the other parts.

I am from Texas and also applying this year... I wish good luck to everyone also :thumbup:

by the way does anyone know where is the transcript request form in this new application 2011 format they have? I cannot find it :(

Yeah, I really want to stay in Texas for school too. It will all depend on where my girlfriend gets in.

Does anyone know if the optional essays are really optional? Will it hurt if I only submit my personal statement? I really don't know what to write for the other parts.

Well they do not hurt if you don't do them but then they might think that you are LAZY by not doing them. So, may be they are optional on purpose. Unless if you have 4.0 GPA and very good DAT score then I believe you will be fine. If not then do those essays also

Well they do not hurt if you don't do them but then they might think that you are LAZY by not doing them. So, may be they are optional on purpose. Unless if you have 4.0 GPA and very good DAT score then I believe you will be fine. If not then do those essays also

I disagree. I don't think they're optional so they can see who's lazy and who's not. I think they're optional so that if you don't have anything to put there, you don't have to. I don't think they are trick questions.

It's up to you whether you put something there. I did last year because I felt there were some aspects of my application that weren't sufficiently addressed in other parts of the app.

I am not saying they are their to find out if you are lazy or not. Doing them will have not 100% but at least may be 1% better impression on your application than by not doing them.