Titanium implant coatings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kareful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is more directed towards practicing dentists, but any constructive feedback is welcome. To the point, what are some currently marketed surface engineered titanium implants that you have seen? The basic science literature is pervaded by modified titanium implants, more specifically, implants with nanostructured surfaces (to increase surface roughness/osseointegration, I suppose) along with hierarchical hydroxyapatite and antimicrobial Ag coatings. Now, I was just curious as to what you practitioners have available in terms of implant coatings when purchasing implants to place in your patients. Are there catalogues of sorts for these things? If so, how diverse are your options? Current dental students/residents have you read any clinical studies relating to applications of any of these types of coatings? I only know of the hydroxyapatite/ceramic-coated implants actually being used in surgeries.

This brings up another valuable question: is this type of research (combating biofilm formation and enhancing bone integration) really needed? Many publications tout the numbers of late term failures for implants being significant. Is this really so? How many times do you see an implant fail even?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Each company has their own methods to surface treatment. Most of them deal with acid etching and sandblasting of some sort to increase surface area.
Some people I've talked to believe any coating (like HA) is stripped off during placement, and its actually just the rough surface that improves integration.
upload_2017-6-2_15-42-59.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is lots of scientific lit on this question in journals. Search pub med for you answers.
Anyone can search pubmed. My questions were asking what practitioners have been exposed to and what is currently being used clinically. Hard to find papers that give that specific information. Hence why I am here. just looking for constructive input.

There are over 1000 implant systems out there, and anecdotal info from private doctors is just that, as opposed to the top papers on a rudimentary google search which brings up NIH research (your tax dollars at work) on this exact subject, as well as one in Nature.
For instance, I just saw one of my private patients who has 6 Zimmer implants from 22 years ago in his mandible supporting a CLD. Each implant is perfectly fine clinically and radio-graphically. What does that really prove?
Evidence based dentistry is for real. Ask Dr. Thierer.