Tired of Medicine?

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted anonymously

Question: I know how stupid this sounds, but the problem is that as time has gone on, I don't feel comfortable or "happy" in performing medicine or at the thought of being a "traditional" doctor with the time that goes into it. I know what will usually come next when I say this--"you haven't hit your 3rd year yet though" or "why would you have applied to medical school?" etc. I hate hearing that because I do plan on continuing with the process, but I'm not sure I could mentally--or even physically--go on with a process that has been so fatiguing and so draining to me..

Honestly, I don't feel I can handle the responsibility and hard work of being an MD every day, and I'd just like to have an alternate, "nontraditional" career with the degree that will make me live my life the way I can comfortably do so. I have found medical school extremely demanding, and although I'm sure I will get multiple suggestions telling me to "wait until 3rd year, it will be different," I feel like I know myself and that it won't really change how I feel. I have realized I value my free time for things like exercise, relationships, etc. and being able to do my job every day and come home and not think about it (which makes me feel guilty, as I am nowhere near as studious and motivated as other students in my class).

Not to belabor you with my problems, but what I'm wondering is:

1) Are there careers I could get into, science/medically related, straight after medical school (without residency)? I'd like any kind of 9-5 type work, where I know what I have to do every day, maybe pharmaceutical? Would I be an appealing candidate or have to get some other degree?

2) Alternatively, if I do a residency, are there any that prepare a student for a non-traditional career, where I wouldn't be working with patients necessarily (maybe research, or being a "medical advisor" to companies is something I've heard about but know little about, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

From your post, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is:

1. You don't like the hours that physicians usually need to devote to their work. You enjoy clinical medicine, but want a career that is 9-5 M-F with minimal call/weekend duties.

2. You dislike the responsibility that physicians have in practice. You're treating patients, and mistakes can cost lives.

3. You just don't like medicine. You don't find it interesting.

Answers:

1. There are many fields that can be 9-5. Dermatology, Pathology, Radiology come to mind easily, I'm sure there are more. Pathology involves minimal patient contact -- mostly reading slides, or running a clinical lab. Radiology can now be "Teleradiology" -- you sit at home and download images, which you then read.

Many people find part time MD work in all fields. No one says you need to do this full time.

A primary care "subscription" practice is another option. In this model, patients pay you some set fee per year for access to your practice. This allows you to have a light patient load, and more flexibility.

One guy opened an internet practice.

Most of these options involve a busy residency, or are very competitive, or both. A Path residency might be less demanding, at least hours-wise.

2. In this case, it's important to evaluate what the problem is. Any important job will involve some level of responsibility, and I'd need to know more.

3. In this case, exactly why are you continuing?

From a practical standpoint, you have a few choices:

A. Find a specialty that meets your needs, and go for it. As described above, there may be an option that fits your needs.

B. Complete an internship, and then try to find an "Alternative" job. Completing a 1 year internship will allow you to be licensed in most (if not all) states. This will put you on a much better footing, as you could potentially moonlight, work on a cruise ship, ? work for a drug company, etc. There are many threads about this sort of thing.

C. Complete your MD, and then not do any residency. IMHO, this is not a good plan. Your options will be very limited. Your MD will simply be a nice thing to hang on the wall -- people will only hire you for your other skills, with the added bonus of being an MD. A good example is pharmaceutical companies -- with no research skills they won't hire you to do research, and with no clinical skills they are unlikely to hire you to do drug promotion.

D. Drop out of med school, and pursue something else.

I'd suggest asking yourself this question: What in medical school you you enjoy the most? Once you know the answer to this question, your path may be clearer.

Feel free to PM me if I can help.

I would recommend taking a leave of absence, work for a few months, and think about what you want to do. Good luck whatever you decide.

B. Complete an internship, and then try to find an "Alternative" job. Completing a 1 year internship will allow you to be licensed in most (if not all) states. This will put you on a much better footing, as you could potentially moonlight, work on a cruise ship, ? work for a drug company, etc. There are many threads about this sort of thing.

C. Complete your MD, and then not do any residency. IMHO, this is not a good plan. Your options will be very limited. Your MD will simply be a nice thing to hang on the wall -- people will only hire you for your other skills, with the added bonus of being an MD. A good example is pharmaceutical companies -- with no research skills they won't hire you to do research, and with no clinical skills they are unlikely to hire you to do drug promotion.

This seems to be the debate for many who want to pursue medical options outside of clinical practice. I graduated from a top medical school and joined a consulting firm that has over 100 doctors with all types of clinical experience (ranging from none to many years of academic practice). I work across the spectrum, from global public health to pharmaceuticals. Over the past two years, I've seen many docs leave my firm for pharmaceuticals, hospitals, insurers private equity, venture capital and startups. Many of these physicians are not residency trained, but have set themselves up for very successful careers by building their "business credibility" by management consulting for a few years.

There are plenty of operational and strategy jobs at pharmaceutical companies that don't require residency training (e.g., business development, M&S), but where having business and medical backgrounds are incredibly relevant. It's true that you'll never be a Head of R&D for a pharmaco, but there are plenty of roles that you would be qualified to take.

It's becoming more and more possible to have a rewarding career in healthcare without residency training, but you should be very honest with what you want out of life. I became disillusioned with medical practice during my third year and pursued a second degree to help me explore other options.

If you see the possibility of medical practice at any stage in your career, then spending 1-3 years doing residency is likely to be a worthwhile investment after medical school. If you don't, then consider alternatives that would jump start a career transition. Even during medical school, pursuing another degree or doing a business internship are low cost ways of seeing what's out there.