Tips to maximize summer research + how to approach LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neat45

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm an incoming 2nd year currently doing research under a program director for a few weeks during my summer beak. The PD is a busy guy of course so I don't get to see him too much. So I was wondering if anybody had any tips to maximize my research output and make a good impression (without being annoying) so when it comes down to asking for a letter and applying for residencies, I can hopefully strengthen my chances of matching here.

Also, since it'll be a few years since I need a LOR for the match, how should I approach asking for a letter? Should I wait until 4th year and then email and ask or should I bring it up before I leave this summer? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Make sure you get in on a project. Even if it’s just an interesting case for you to write up. You will be going back and forth on it multiple times even after the summer so you can stay in touch. Would make it clear that you are interested in his specialty from the beginning also.