Tips Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofball6969

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My names Nick and im a senior in highschool. Ive been doing plenty of thinking and finally decided i want to become a physical therapist. I honestly would have never thought about it but when i had my ACL reconstructed and went through the therapy i realized that i wanted to help people and make a difference. Now i have florida pre-paid so my undergrad schooling is already paid for. I was wondering if anyone knew what i should major in. I was planning on attending FSU, UF, or UNF. Obviously im going to apply to others but those are my main three schools. Ive done some research and they say to try and find a school with a pre-physical therapy program. So i was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what im going to be dealing with in this field. thanks alot :) :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

If they have a pre-physical therapy program then they will have faculty who are familiar with the admissions process and they can help you along the way but the program will not give you an edge as far as actually getting into PT school. The major doesn't matter so just pick something that you are interested in and will allow you to take the necessary pre-reqs

I should note that if the pre-PT program is a 3+3 and you can go to that same school for the DPT then that would certainly be a great option

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't major in pre physical therapy or exercise science. These majors suck, trust me, it was my major, and pigeon hole you into a profession that may either dramatically change or you may lose interest in by the time you graduate.

Do something like biology and just take the prereqs for pt.

If I could go back though, I would double major. That is my biggest regret about college.

I agree with other posters - do not "major" in Pre-PT, there is nothing you can do with that except go to PT school. If you're like other freshmen, there's a chance that you will find something else you want to do (I was a Pre-Nursing major, hell bent on being a nurse, now I'm in PT school). Personally, I majored in Biology & took pre-reqs for PT school. This is a route that many of my classmates took as well - it leaves options open for you to choose a different professional degree if you so choose. Another option is Psychology, but you can really choose whatever! I have a classmate who graduated with a Music degree, and now he's in PT school :)

The major doesn't matter so just pick something that you are interested in and will allow you to take the necessary pre-reqs

:thumbup:

I also second what Myosin said. Get a biology degree. It's versatile and it doesn't force you to go to PT school or to become one particular health professional.