tips for speed on QR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeine jitters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has any tips they would like to offer regarding QR speed? Things like the common triangles (3,4,5 + 5,12,13 + 7,24,25 + etc) have helped me a bit, but I'm still having trouble finishing problems quickly. I get super flustered and anxious when I can't think of how to approach a problem right away.
Any help would be awesome :)

Members don't see this ad.

I cant help with regard to specific qr topics. But a friend gave me valuable advice which helped me get a 23 on the QR section. Do not spend time on questions you cannot figure out at first. Put down answers for all 40 questions, even if you have to guess for a few. Make sure you see all 40 before looking back on ones you're unsure of.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't use the calculator. Train your brain to make the numbers in each problem clean if you aren't good at doing math in your head or quickly on scratch paper. Usually the answer choices are very spread out, so as long as you are close to one, go with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Memorize the multiplication chart up to 20 or at least 15. That would be handy to do the calculation in hand or sometimes if they are easier straight away ( rather than the calculator.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has any tips they would like to offer regarding QR speed? Things like the common triangles (3,4,5 + 5,12,13 + 7,24,25 + etc) have helped me a bit, but I'm still having trouble finishing problems quickly. I get super flustered and anxious when I can't think of how to approach a problem right away.
Any help would be awesome :)
First of all, before you work on speed, you need to learn the material first. Do as many problems as possible. The more you do, you will notice that there is a " pattern" to solve some kind of problems.
For quick calculations try to estimate and round up or down to make the numbers easy to work with. Use the process of elimination. Look at the answers and eliminate those that are obviously wrong. Skip the hard problems and do the easy ones first. Don't spend more than 3 minutes on a single problem.
And finally practice practice practice.

New QC problems attached.

Hope this helps...

Nancy

Attachments

• Problems and Solutions QC 2017.pdf
    446.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
First of all, before you work on speed, you need to learn the material first. Do as many problems as possible. The more you do, you will notice that there is a " pattern" to solve some kind of problems.
For quick calculations try to estimate and round up or down to make the numbers easy to work with. Use the process of elimination. Look at the answers and eliminate those that are obviously wrong. Skip the hard problems and do the easy ones first. Don't spend more than 3 minutes on a single problem.
And finally practice practice practice.

New QC problems attached.

Hope this helps...

Nancy

Thank you so much!

What helped me a little bit was to spend at max 30 sec trying to solve a hard problem, and if I didn't have a good direction to go, put an answer and then mark it for later. When I would go back and try it again, I would usually have a better idea on how to solve it because my thought process would be reset and I would get out of the rut or notice something I didn't before. I don't know if this will help with your speed, but it helped boost my overall QR score, hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
This is a technique I Learned from the LSAT forum. They have a hard section called logic games.
So it's 35 minutes and 4 games with 5-6 questions each.
Of course, the basic idea was to get to know all the games and technique to solve them for about a month or so, then you do practice tests. You start timing yourself 45 minutes. Try to finish them all and as correctly as you can, once you get used to that timing. You bring it down a bit.
Then after 2-3 tests, you time yourself 40
Then you bring it down to 35 minutes which is the allocated amount of time for that game.
Then you bring it down to 33 minutes
Then to 30 minutes
and Henceforth you always time yourself 30 minutes.
I can see the same thing can be applied on the QR section
Start with 47 minutes
Then 45 minutes
go down to 43
then to 40
then to 39
and always try to finish on 39. That way you get used to finishing earlier.
THere are many practice tests on bootcampe+qvault+Mathdestroyer+crackthedat+topscore+achiever+Kaplan