Tips for passing the COMLEX Step 2 PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksparrow82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am so excited to report that I managed to get an earlier date for retaking the PE, so now I will be able to graduate with my class on time AS LONG AS I PASS IT THIS TIME!!!
SO, I wanted to start a thread that will hopefully be helpful for others for years to come.
If you have already taken and passed the Comlex PE, please be so kind as to share your advice for studying and performing well on this exam. Please do not post any specific information about the cases you saw because I don't want anyone to get into trouble for academic dishonesty.
Please tell us what you did for each patient (for example, did you check BP on everyone, did you do a complete neuro exam on everyone, etc...)
Any helpful advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
So far, I know I have to improve my "Data Gathering" skills because this was the only section of the exam I recieved a score of "poor." My OMM skills were "proficient" according to the score report so I'm not so concerned about that. Mainly, just the history and physical part.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is just a shot in the dark, but if I had to take that POS test again and needed to improve in the "data gathering" section, I'd probably read the FA book several times until I had almost memorized the relevant history questions and focused exam for each complaint. It seems to me that if they failed you for the data gathering, they must have felt your history taking and exam skills were not up to their standards. Read through the Bates guide, maybe that can help.

All in all, who the hell knows what they are looking for. Think positive, I'm sure you will pass it this time around. Best of luck.

I just splurged $1,800 for the test + hotel+flight. Ouch. Is it a bad idea to take this test 1 week after Step 2? That'll leave me about 5 days to study given the 1 day recovery from COMLEX 2 and flight... thanks!

I just splurged $1,800 for the test + hotel+flight. Ouch. Is it a bad idea to take this test 1 week after Step 2? That'll leave me about 5 days to study given the 1 day recovery from COMLEX 2 and flight... thanks!

Are you a 3rd year? Or are you a 4th year taking this test for the first time? Just curious. If you are a 3rd year, there's no need to take those tests this early. Give yourself sometime to prepare for the PE, its not something to take lightly. They do fail a lot of people, for what reasons no one knows, but they do fail people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a 3rd year? Or are you a 4th year taking this test for the first time? Just curious. If you are a 3rd year, there's no need to take those tests this early. Give yourself sometime to prepare for the PE, its not something to take lightly. They do fail a lot of people, for what reasons no one knows, but they do fail people.

I'm 3rd year now, but I registered to take it 2 months into my 4th. So 1 vote for not enough time?

jacksparrow - I'm hoping you get some helpful responses. I am in the same situation as you except I repeated the test, raised my poor in data-gathering skills to the middle scoring category and still did not pass. I did not have to pass the PE for graduation but now I can't begin my 3rd yr of residency until I pass it and take Level III.

At first, I rebelled and said "no way will I take it again". But I've come to my senses now and just want to pass, finish 3rd yr, and go on. But I truly don't know what to do for remediation!

~OnMyWayThere~

I am taking my COMLEX 2 PE 5 or so days after taking my COMLEX CK or whatever they call the computer one in July and I'm not too worried about it. I figure at least in July I'll have 5 days dedicated just to studying. Once I get into 4th year and am doing acting internships, am I really going to have much time to dedicate solely to Step 2 studying? I'll probably look over First Aid Step 2 CS book a month or so before and then study for it hardcore those 5 days. Your 3rd year should be preparing you to take this exam anyways (yes, I know there is additional stuff you have to do like drape the pt) but in general, if you can take a good H&P and write a SOAP note, I would imagine that we should do fine :) Good luck!

DRAPE every patient
ASK to untie gown and re-tie gown
WASH your hands before physical exam
+\- warm stethoscope
SUMMARIZE your impression and plan of care at end of assessment to patient
ASK if they have any questions
SHOW compassion at every opportunity
DO NOT DO a full exam, just a brief and focused physical exam
DO NOT DO a full mini-mental, +/- write that you would like to do it in plan
DO NOT DO blood pressure, assume the vitals are correct +/- write recheck BP in plan
It may help to write PMH/PSH/ROS/MEDS/AL/FAM/SOC on soap sheet before you go in, so as you don't forget to ask things

Last edited:
I recommend that BEFORE you go in the patient's room, stop for a few seconds to think of your differential and what questions you want to ask, instead of going right in. If you're like me the pressure of being face to face with the patient will make your mind go blank. :p

Your 3rd year should be preparing you to take this exam anyways (yes, I know there is additional stuff you have to do like drape the pt) but in general, if you can take a good H&P and write a SOAP note, I would imagine that we should do fine :)

Uh, were you in the habit of exposing your real patients? I don't get the SDN preoccupation with patient-draping as some novel PE-only skill. It's just the same thing you'd do to make a patient comfortable in the real world.

yeah it's happened I know of two people. Thankfully I took mine early and cruised through it. Word to the 3rd years take it at the end of your third year.