Tips for Midyear Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PensFan87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

My name's Matt and I'm brand new to this board. I tried doing a quick search to find a similar thread and had no luck, but I apologize in advance if there is one and I missed it.

Basically, I think I'm close to being all set for Midyear--room, flight, registration. I've already spoken with preceptors and faculty members who will be willing to write letters of recommendations for me, and I've contacted approximately 10 programs through email that I've looked into already.

I chose against signing up for PPS since most of the programs I emailed said they were not participating in the interview sessions. I've heard from other people that some programs will do on-site pop interviews at Midyear, so I'll try to be prepared for that. Has anyone had this happen with them? I've only been to a local residency showcase and it was pretty laid back, with no interviews occurring at any time. In a way, I'm hoping Midyear will be a lot different than just a larger-scale version of this.

I also have not yet registered for the Match since I'm not 100% absolutely sold on doing a residency quite yet. Has anyone done this where they've waited to register for the Match until after Midyear?

My questions for anyone who is willing to help is: What can I do between now and Midyear to continue preparing? I'll continue to polish my CV and look over programs of interest, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

For those of you who have gone to Midyear already, how many programs can you reasonably expect to speak with over the course of the 3 designated time slots on Monday and Tuesday?

Any other tips, bits of advice, or other information on things that people may overlook when going out to Midyear that anyone would be able to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody,
Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all:

My name's Matt and I'm brand new to this board. I tried doing a quick search to find a similar thread and had no luck, but I apologize in advance if there is one and I missed it.

Basically, I think I'm close to being all set for Midyear--room, flight, registration. I've already spoken with preceptors and faculty members who will be willing to write letters of recommendations for me, and I've contacted approximately 10 programs through email that I've looked into already.

I chose against signing up for PPS since most of the programs I emailed said they were not participating in the interview sessions. I've heard from other people that some programs will do on-site pop interviews at Midyear, so I'll try to be prepared for that. Has anyone had this happen with them? I've only been to a local residency showcase and it was pretty laid back, with no interviews occurring at any time. In a way, I'm hoping Midyear will be a lot different than just a larger-scale version of this.

I also have not yet registered for the Match since I'm not 100% absolutely sold on doing a residency quite yet. Has anyone done this where they've waited to register for the Match until after Midyear?

My questions for anyone who is willing to help is: What can I do between now and Midyear to continue preparing? I'll continue to polish my CV and look over programs of interest, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

For those of you who have gone to Midyear already, how many programs can you reasonably expect to speak with over the course of the 3 designated time slots on Monday and Tuesday?

Any other tips, bits of advice, or other information on things that people may overlook when going out to Midyear that anyone would be able to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody,
Matt

Looks like you are on the right track.

PPS is not necessary for PGY1 residencies. Most programs will not interview you during Midyear and will require an onsite interview. The showcase is basically for informational purposes...so yes, it will probably be like the local one but on a very large scale. I would say you can cover quite a bit of groud during the showcase depending how many questions you have...I would say ~15mn per booth...maybe less.

It is okay to wait to register for the Match until after Midyr...I think they give a prefered date of some time in mid-Jan.