Tips for Getting Through DeVirgilio + UWorld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanakane9876

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that DeVirgilio is a great resource for the surgery rotation and shelf, both from online and personal sources. The book is fairly dense, though, so I'm wondering if people can share their strategies for getting through the information in the book while also completing UWorld questions? Surgery will be my first clinical rotation, so I'm pretty unsure of what is a reasonable expectation for daily study commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that DeVirgilio is a great resource for the surgery rotation and shelf, both from online and personal sources. The book is fairly dense, though, so I'm wondering if people can share their strategies for getting through the information in the book while also completing UWorld questions? Surgery will be my first clinical rotation, so I'm pretty unsure of what is a reasonable expectation for daily study commitment.

I studied De Virgilio for Surgery clerkship and did mediocre on the shelf (68). Im sure De Virgilio is comprehensive but the issue is you dont have the time to really memorize it.

Reactions: 2 users
I plan to study for my Surgery Shelf purely on UW quests, OME quests, Pestana quests, and DeVirgilio quests. I'm almost done w/ all OME videos and it's about 7-8 days into my surgical rotation.

No way in hell am I going to read DeVirgilio. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got 79th percentile on the shelf by doing devirgilio and uworld surgery questions w/ nothing else.

I would just read 3 cases a day 6 days a week in the book. Once I finished that (3 weeks?) I did uworld 20 questions a day (2 weeks?). After that I did all the devirgilio questions in the book Before the exam.

I wouldn’t recommend what I did. I think I did the bare minimum to study for that shelf. I would do what I did and add another resource, not sure which to add though.

I plan to study for my Surgery Shelf purely on UW quests, OME quests, Pestana quests, and DeVirgilio quests. I'm almost done w/ all OME videos and it's about 7-8 days into my surgical rotation.

No way in hell am I going to read DeVirgilio. LOL

I quickly abandoned DeVirgilio and ended up using a similar strategy. LOL would not recommend DeVirgilio if anyone is actually interested in surgery and wants to actually spend time on the floor / in the OR / with residents, etc.

I quickly abandoned DeVirgilio and ended up using a similar strategy. LOL would not recommend DeVirgilio if anyone is actually interested in surgery and wants to actually spend time on the floor / in the OR / with residents, etc.

Yea, DeVirgilio is just way too much and some of the questions appear above the level of what a medstudents needs to know for an 8/10/12 surgery rotation lol.

sorry to highjack post. 2 weeks till exam. what is best way to cram

Not sure about the best way, but I'm happy with what I did. UW and Pestana, plus OME GI if you wanna have a party
Not sure if you took any of the nbme practice tests.. but I’m wondering how well people think they correlate with the real test.

Not sure if you took any of the nbme practice tests.. but I’m wondering how well people think they correlate with the real test.
I did one, which was much easier than the shelf. But I've heard they really vary in difficulty.

Reactions: 1 user
I did one, which was much easier than the shelf. But I've heard they really vary in difficulty.

I definitely agree with this. The questions were easier than the shelf I took, but they're still worth doing.

Reactions: 1 users