tips for frugal living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii

What did y'll guys did/do for frugal living during medical school?

If I don't get in to school in my city, I will have to move to other school where I got accepted.

So please give tips on moving and finding apartment?

Is it wise to have student from your class as your roommate?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it wise to have student from your class as your roommate?

Yes.

Also, it's definitely smart to bring your own lunch to school each day, and cook breakfast and dinner for yourself too as often as possible. I see other people shelling out a fortune for food throughout the day.

The extra money you save by bringing lunch and cooking for yourself ALMOST DAILY will provide you plenty of excess money for your binge drinking habits and BRS review books.

make a spreadsheet of all your spending (item/cost). you'll be surprise how much you will save when you know exactly what you can cut out of your budget, especially the small stuff you don't really need.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about some tips for finding/picking a roommate.... I missed out on the experience in undergrad. Most schools allow students to list their need for a roommate online in one form or another, but besides being in the same class, how do you go about actually deciding who you're going to live with? Do people normally talk with (interview) a few prospects first and try to match interests/lifestyles, or do most hold off on finding a roommate until you start meeting people? Or just jump in head first and hope for the best, with the understanding you can always find someone else next year...assuming you're not in prison for homicide by that time... >)

I think guys are generally more roommate-adverse than girls, but I've found you can get a better apartment in a nicer location with more amenities and still end up paying less (each) than trying to live solo. And that's only considering rent. Two people who get along well could conceivably share food costs, transportation, appliances, utilities, etc. It's a pretty good deal, but obviously has its drawbacks....

for living, use coupons from the paper or print them from online, and try to get an entertainment book from http://www.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml. Med school is social--at least when you go out with classmates for food or recreation, you can save a little on it.

I was making up my monthly budget, and wondering if seems realistic for med school? My school has a living expenses budget of about $1,500/month but I have changed around the amounts in each category a bit to suit my needs. Here it is: about $850 for rent and utilities, $200 for food, $300 for gas and car insurance, and $150 for miscellaneous personal expenses. Does this seem good? Admittedly, my rent is a bit high because having my own apartartment in a safe area is important to me. Have I alloted enough in the other categories? Thanks for the help.

for living, use coupons from the paper or print them from online, and try to get an entertainment book from http://www.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml. Med school is social--at least when you go out with classmates for food or recreation, you can save a little on it.
Have you actually found coupons useful? I have honestly tried several times over the years to be cost-effective with coupons, and always fail. My problems with coupons are 1) they're always for name-brand items, 2) they tend to be for new products vs. cheaper older ones and 3) when I compare my shopping list with a coupon list nothing ever matches. On top of this, I've found several examples (almost all, really) where even WITH the coupon the item is more expensive (price/weight) than the store-brand generic. In many ways this makes perfect sense- coupons are marketing items, they exist to get you to buy products you normally wouldn't, not to save you money on stuff you're already buying.

One tip- make sure that where you shop they list the price/weight ratio on the shelf sticker. Most stores do, they may even have to, but it really helps to compare packages of different weights at a glance to find the best deal...which is often the case when comparing a generic to a name-brand item (packaged in different weights just to confuse you). All through college I bought Hi-C juicy packs (for packed-lunches) because they were so dirt cheap. Eventually I needed more fluid, and found that "Mountain-Lightning" at Walmart is actually cheaper than the juice packs, much cheaper than name-brand, and, at least with that soft-drink, I can't tell the difference. I only drink purchased beverages with a meal on the go (easier to package/carry), the rest of the time it's water or iced tea.

I've got cheap living down to a science, but it would take all day to try and relate my insanity here.

Anyone have any advice for me about my budget? Thanks.

Get a roommate. Slash your rent/utilities/cable/Internet/furniture/etc bill in half.

Have you actually found coupons useful? I have honestly tried several times over the years to be cost-effective with coupons, and always fail. My problems with coupons are 1) they're always for name-brand items, 2) they tend to be for new products vs. cheaper older ones and 3) when I compare my shopping list with a coupon list nothing ever matches. On top of this, I've found several examples (almost all, really) where even WITH the coupon the item is more expensive (price/weight) than the store-brand generic. In many ways this makes perfect sense- coupons are marketing items, they exist to get you to buy products you normally wouldn't, not to save you money on stuff you're already buying.

One tip- make sure that where you shop they list the price/weight ratio on the shelf sticker. Most stores do, they may even have to, but it really helps to compare packages of different weights at a glance to find the best deal...which is often the case when comparing a generic to a name-brand item (packaged in different weights just to confuse you). All through college I bought Hi-C juicy packs (for packed-lunches) because they were so dirt cheap. Eventually I needed more fluid, and found that "Mountain-Lightning" at Walmart is actually cheaper than the juice packs, much cheaper than name-brand, and, at least with that soft-drink, I can't tell the difference. I only drink purchased beverages with a meal on the go (easier to package/carry), the rest of the time it's water or iced tea.

I've got cheap living down to a science, but it would take all day to try and relate my insanity here.

I have found coupons in the entertaiment book very useful. There are a lot of 50% off coupons for sporting events in there which are always fun and as far as grocery coupons, I save the most money on beauty products with the basic sunday paper coupons. I agree just cutting out getting a drink when you go out saves you $2 at least with every meal.... think 3 meals a week times 52 weeks a yr is.... over $300 a yr!

If you are a coffee drinker who enjoys quality coffee:

Instead of spending $3-5/day at a local coffeehouse/Starbucks/Caribou/etc., I "invested" in a Keurig single-cup coffeemaker. http://www.keurig.com/

I got mine on sale at a local department store for ~$85. You can either order boxes of gourmet coffee pods (~$15 for a box of 25), or purchase an adapter (~$10) into which you can put ground coffee of your choice. I used to purchase pods, but now I use the latter. The adapter is actually a better deal (as you can buy your own beans/grounds, which are cheaper than the individual cups), and produces less waste (no plastic cups).

It takes about 3 minutes to make my morning cup of coffee. (And I've found that each pod can be used twice, as each measured cup is only ~6oz - so I end up hitting the button twice). I don't have to buy filters, I don't have excess coffee sitting around in a pot getting stale, and if I want another cup, I can just turn the machine on and put in another pod or put fresh grounds in the adapter.

It might not be so economical if all you drink is Folgers/Maxwell House/other generic garbage at home. But, if you enjoy a good product, it's certainly more economical than stopping at the coffee cart before lecture every morning to purchase a $3 drip coffee or $5 latte. I also find that it is more convenient, efficient, and produces a better-tasting cup of coffee than what comes out of a conventional coffeemaker (and it also looks more attractive sitting on my countertop). I always keep some flavored syrups and coffee-mate/milk around in case I want to make a latte, mocha, or flavored coffee. And I usually get comments from classmates sitting next to me when they smell the aroma wafting towards them at 8 in the morning. :)

I recommend Gloria Jean's Pumpkin Spice (for the fall) and Green Mountain's Dark Magic Extra Bold (in the spring). I don't know what I'd do without my Keurig. Good coffee was one of my few indulgences that I simply couldn't give up, even on a med student budget.

If you are a coffee drinker who enjoys quality coffee:

Instead of spending $3-5/day at a local coffeehouse/Starbucks/Caribou/etc., I "invested" in a Keurig single-cup coffeemaker. http://www.keurig.com/

I got mine on sale at a local department store for ~$85. You can either order boxes of gourmet coffee pods (~$15 for a box of 25), or purchase an adapter (~$10) into which you can put ground coffee of your choice.
Dang. My single-serving coffee maker cost me $15 :). Coffee filters are really cheap, but most cheap single-serving machines (not pod type) have a built-in paper filter. I've never priced pods on a price/weight ratio, but I'm sure they're more expensive than just buying loose coffee. But, like you said, gourmet coffee is important to you and where you don't mind spending some extra money. We all have those items... I think the important take-away is not to have too many, and no matter how you like your coffee, make it at home! My drink of choice is cappuccino for which at $30 machine serves me just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend not bothering with cable or a phone line (if you have a cell). That's about $80-100/month saved and after a while you don't miss the cable anyhow. Also try driving as little as possible. With gas prices what they are that ends up saving you a significant amount of money in the long run. Try to set a budget for "fun" expenditures and stick to it, that'll really help cut down on impulse buys.

I recommend not bothering with cable or a phone line (if you have a cell). That's about $80-100/month saved and after a while you don't miss the cable anyhow. Also try driving as little as possible. With gas prices what they are that ends up saving you a significant amount of money in the long run. Try to set a budget for "fun" expenditures and stick to it, that'll really help cut down on impulse buys.
Completely agree. Thanks to the digital switchover you can now get over-the-air digital quality (even HDTV) of all the major stations without paying a dime. There are other ways to get TV shows too... Sports you can watch at a friend's house, medical school lounge, sports bar/club, or other ways... Internet depends on where you spend most of your time- at home, or at the medical school/in lecture. Even if you must have have internet at home, you could always work out a deal with a nearby neighbor and share a wireless connection. As long as you can get at least 50% signal I would say it's worth it- you can also attach an antenna to the router to improve coverage area. One cable connection could easily serve the internet needs of multiple users- thus reducing the cost dramatically for everyone.

If you have a place with hi-speed internet, you can do so much with it. You can cut your phone bill down by using vonage or similar (15 bucks a month for 500 minutes or 25 bucks for unlimited use), esp. if you don't have a cell phone. You can also catch the replays of your favorite tv shows on their websites sans long commercials cutting out the need for cable (if you MUST get your fix of CSI or America's Next Top Model :laugh:).

You can also turn the thermostat down on your water heater and save a few pennies there (if you have access).

Definitely cooking for yourself and making your own coffee/tea will save you some cash. If you have a burner and a freezer you can make big batches of soups, stews, and chili and freeze them (very inexpensive to make in bulk and very filling and nutritious) in individual portions in freezer-proof containers (well, you can do that with about any of your favorite dishes).

These are some things I've done over the years to cut back.

Even if you must have have internet at home, you could always work out a deal with a nearby neighbor and share a wireless connection. As long as you can get at least 50% signal I would say it's worth it- you can also attach an antenna to the router to improve coverage area. One cable connection could easily serve the internet needs of multiple users- thus reducing the cost dramatically for everyone.
Or if any of your neighbors are ignorant enough not to secure their connection, just mooch off of it for free. That's what I did for six months at my old place. If they don't bother to secure their router (very easy, and it'll keep most people away), I'll just help myself.

Definitely cooking for yourself and making your own coffee/tea will save you some cash. If you have a burner and a freezer you can make big batches of soups, stews, and chili and freeze them (very inexpensive to make in bulk and very filling and nutritious) in individual portions in freezer-proof containers (well, you can do that with about any of your favorite dishes).
This is helpful not only for repeat meals at home, but for packed lunches as well. You can buy sectioned "TV dinner" plastic-ware so you can have a meat, starch, and vegetable all in one convenient container. If you have access to a toaster at school then (in advance) lightly butter a piece of bread and sprinkle with garlic salt. Add an inexpensive generic drink of your choice (or water), and you've got a better lunch than most students will end up buying.

For dessert nothing beats chocolate cake. I like box-mix cakes, and they almost always require 3 eggs. So what I do is make batches in 3rds, and it yields about 6-7 cupcakes- just enough for me to eat before they go stale. Homemade cinnamon rolls freeze pretty well too, and you can either freeze them after cooking, or before the second raise. Both have their benefits, but either way you get fresh cinnamon rolls whenever you want! Frozen fruit is the next best thing to fresh- but it's MUCH more convenient. Keep some around and have fruit smoothies whenever you want. I actually prefer frozen fruit for smoothies because you don't have to add ice, which makes them richer and less watered-down.

This is helpful not only for repeat meals at home, but for packed lunches as well. You can buy sectioned "TV dinner" plastic-ware so you can have a meat, starch, and vegetable all in one convenient container. If you have access to a toaster at school then (in advance) lightly butter a piece of bread and sprinkle with garlic salt. Add an inexpensive generic drink of your choice (or water), and you've got a better lunch than most students will end up buying.

For dessert nothing beats chocolate cake. I like box-mix cakes, and they almost always require 3 eggs. So what I do is make batches in 3rds, and it yields about 6-7 cupcakes- just enough for me to eat before they go stale. Homemade cinnamon rolls freeze pretty well too, and you can either freeze them after cooking, or before the second raise. Both have their benefits, but either way you get fresh cinnamon rolls whenever you want! Frozen fruit is the next best thing to fresh- but it's MUCH more convenient. Keep some around and have fruit smoothies whenever you want. I actually prefer frozen fruit for smoothies because you don't have to add ice, which makes them richer and less watered-down.

Very nice tips! You totally have mastered the art of saving money. Hope I can do the same once I start med school :p

go to the free lunches... there's usually one everyday

If you have to pay your water bill, I know a way to save water. But even if you don't have to pay it, save water for the benefit of the environment!

I have recently put two gatorade bottles full of water in the back of my toilet. I put a couple pennies in them to hold them down (like 20 in each bottle). Each bottle is 600mL, so I'm saving 1.2 L every flush. If you flush 10 times a day, that's a savings of 360 L every month. And you can't even tell the difference when you flush. I'm thinking of trying a third bottle. Hope this helps!

:idea:
If you have to pay your water bill, I know a way to save water. But even if you don't have to pay it, save water for the benefit of the environment!

I have recently put two gatorade bottles full of water in the back of my toilet. I put a couple pennies in them to hold them down (like 20 in each bottle). Each bottle is 600mL, so I'm saving 1.2 L every flush. If you flush 10 times a day, that's a savings of 360 L every month. And you can't even tell the difference when you flush. I'm thinking of trying a third bottle. Hope this helps!
I get my water for FREE!!

I hate my landlord so I stick it to him by wasting water! :idea:

Most apartments where I'm from have free water, but you pay electricity. This is similar to the old "brick" trick. Most European toilets have two different flushing levels, one for liquid waste and one for solids. For one reason or another my toilets at home can barely flush solids with a full tank- anything less would just make the problem worse, so mileage may vary with this method.

The other possibility with liquids is just not flushing every time, but I think hygiene is more important than the environment, and even money >).

Speaking of Gatorade bottles- instead of buying expensive sports drinks in the first place make your own using 1 packet of Coolaid, 10 tbsp sugar, 3/4 tsp. Morton lite salt (this is a Na/K mix), and water to make 2 liters. The ingredients cost nothing, and there are a billion Coolaid flavors out there. Of course then you wouldn't have Gatoraid bottles lying around to put in your toilet, but there are sacrifices with frugal living >).

The other possibility with liquids is just not flushing every time, but I think hygiene is more important than the environment, and even money >).
If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to saving money but here are some of my random things

-Most importantly invest any spare change in a money market fund (bankrate.com for the best ones) ESPECIALLY for large amount of loan money. So if you get 3% your only paying around 5% on loans not 8%, i know it's more complicated than that.

Buy in bulk at costco's, BJ's, and Sam's club

use kroger bags for trash bags

use a fan not the ac as much

use a credit card that gives cash back rewards (obviously pay it off each month)

Grab any white paper you find and use the back to print notes

Don't eat out very much

don't have a phone line just use a cell phone

One word, if you live in right part of the US:

ALDI.

Greatest grocery store chain ever. You don't feel used when you leave there.

Also, if you really make all your own food you could use less than $200/month. My wife and I together generally use a little over 200 a month for food.

Getting a roommate is huge. I would actually disagree that girls are more amenable to it; I think many guys would be fine with living w/ just about anyone, especially male medical students who don't spend a lot of time at home anyway.

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

hah, I once spent a week in a 5-room chalet in colorado with 30 (!) other college kids. The house was on a well and they were in the middle of a draught and after running out of water for 5 hours on the first day they wrote this rhyme in every bathroom in the house. Not a good toiletry week. Fortunately the snow was excellent! lol.

Inside outside frontside backside.

One word, if you live in right part of the US:

ALDI.

Greatest grocery store chain ever. You don't feel used when you leave there.
One thing we have locally is a grocery store called United Grocery Outlet. Form the outside it looks like a rundown Dollar General (and coincidentally it's right next to one >). On the inside it looks like a grocery store transplanted right out of the 60's; that's because most of the decorations, aisle markers, cash registers, and shopping carts actually are about that old. Also, they tend to be in poor areas of the city, and I've heard it called the "canned-goods store" or "the cheap store."

Anyway, that's the bad part. The good part is the product and price! This place sells a little of everything, and many things are half the price of regular grocery store items. They buy things from other stores that are right about to expire, and they buy dented cans and things. So you have to be discerning, but there are such great deals to be had. Last week I got a HUGE log of Provolone cheese for like $5, and it was fantastic. I froze some, shredded some, shredded then froze some on a cookie sheet (so it doesn't stick together, then you can bag it), and kept some in the refrigerator for sandwiches. The items they get change daily, but there's always something that's a good deal.

You know, I almost forgot the best tip of all....

Right at the end of the school year (spring semester) is the best time to pick up FREE stuff. Just rummage around the garbage dumpsters outside the dorms at your large, local university. I'm kinda semi-serious actually- college kids throw away TONS of stuff that they don't want to tote back home, or just don't have space to do so. And since everyone is in the same situation, it's hard to sell or even give stuff away during this time. I'm not suggesting diving in head first...but it never hurts to take a peak every day or so in the 1-2 weeks surrounding the semester's end. >)

You know, I almost forgot the best tip of all....

Right at the end of the school year (spring semester) is the best time to pick up FREE stuff. Just rummage around the garbage dumpsters outside the dorms at your large, local university. I'm kinda semi-serious actually- college kids throw away TONS of stuff that they don't want to tote back home, or just don't have space to do so. And since everyone is in the same situation, it's hard to sell or even give stuff away during this time. I'm not suggesting diving in head first...but it never hurts to take a peak every day or so in the 1-2 weeks surrounding the semester's end. >)
I second this....I got two free carpets...a free recliner and futon last year

Or if any of your neighbors are ignorant enough not to secure their connection, just mooch off of it for free. That's what I did for six months at my old place. If they don't bother to secure their router (very easy, and it'll keep most people away), I'll just help myself.

Right and continuing on that theme, if they leave their front door unlocked, just mooch their food out of the refrigerator. If they don't lock their car, sell the spare tire for extra cash, or if you are luck and they left the keys in the car you have free and easy transportation.

Ed

the single thing that has saved me the most money is always cooking my own food, as opposed to eating out at restaurants. i can buy a week's worth of groceries (with lots of fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, with the occasional bag of rice, etc) for less than $45/week. that's less than $8/day on food. Everyday, I see people spending at least $5-10 dollars on lunch and then $5-10 again on dinner, and half the time they're eating something unhealthy (fried chicken, pizza, etc). If you really swear by cooking, you'll definitely save $$!

the single thing that has saved me the most money is always cooking my own food, as opposed to eating out at restaurants. i can buy a week's worth of groceries (with lots of fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, with the occasional bag of rice, etc) for less than $45/week. that's less than $8/day on food. Everyday, I see people spending at least $5-10 dollars on lunch and then $5-10 again on dinner, and half the time they're eating something unhealthy (fried chicken, pizza, etc). If you really swear by cooking, you'll definitely save $$!

Totally agreee. I'm going to learn how to cook from my mom this summer.
In addition, cooking can be relaxing activity to get some rest from studying.

I was making up my monthly budget, and wondering if seems realistic for med school? My school has a living expenses budget of about $1,500/month but I have changed around the amounts in each category a bit to suit my needs. Here it is: about $850 for rent and utilities, $200 for food, $300 for gas and car insurance, and $150 for miscellaneous personal expenses. Does this seem good? Admittedly, my rent is a bit high because having my own apartartment in a safe area is important to me. Have I alloted enough in the other categories? Thanks for the help.

Seriously, Get a roomate. You could still probably even have your own bathroom. Roomates also save big time on moving in because you can split up things like furniture, cookware etc.

Other biggies: pack your own lunch to school, consider public transportation.

Your miscellaneous budget seems very low. If you can stick to that, great for you, but $150 can be spent in a few nights at the bar.

In general, good for you to make a budget. Even a less conservative budget is better than no budget because you do spend less when you're more conscious of it. Your school's living budget is a good place to start becuase it is VERY generous. Make yourself live on that and then see if you think you can cut down. Borrow the whole budget first year though for two reasons:

1. You don't want to worry about money when you're adjusting
2. You may need some extra cash to do a summer program or for move in expenses.

Where'd you get the avatar? It looks familiar... Did you steal it, or have you used on a different account? ;) Just curious...

I selected my avatar from the list of available avatars that SDN presents you with when you open your account. It suits me well, and thus I haven't changed it since I joined.

I have recently noticed that there is now another user who has the same avatar. Perhaps you have seen one of his/her posts before. I'm pretty sure that I was the original "Scary Clown." But I'm cool with sharing.

Right and continuing on that theme, if they leave their front door unlocked, just mooch their food out of the refrigerator. If they don't lock their car, sell the spare tire for extra cash, or if you are luck and they left the keys in the car you have free and easy transportation.
That's a different theme. If someone is playing their music loudly, is it wrong to listen to it? Broadcasting an available internet signal = fair game. It's like putting your diary on a blog and asking people not to read it.

That's a different theme. If someone is playing their music loudly, is it wrong to listen to it? Broadcasting an available internet signal = fair game. It's like putting your diary on a blog and asking people not to read it.
I agree. If they are picky about someone else using a bit of their connection they should protect it. It's like baking a dozen cupcakes, taking them work, and then setting them out in a public area. It may very well be true that you didn't intend to share your cupcakes, but common sense dictates that you would have taken at least some precaution in guarding them if that's the case. [Yes, I have a thing for cupcakes] Or it's like blasting music from your stereo and being mad that your neighbor is dancing to it. Now, assuming they have clothes on...there's really no room to complain. Unless your neighbor is attractive and you....wait, what was my point again?

It's NOT like taking someone's Coke out of the work refrigerator, since only one person can (well, reasonably) make use of it at one time and once used, it's done. Internet is not a finite object.

I selected my avatar from the list of available avatars that SDN presents you with when you open your account. It suits me well, and thus I haven't changed it since I joined.

I have recently noticed that there is now another user who has the same avatar. Perhaps you have seen one of his/her posts before. I'm pretty sure that I was the original "Scary Clown." But I'm cool with sharing.

Interesting... That avatar is no longer one of the pre-defined avatars, and I didn't know it ever was. The only other person I've ever seen with that avatar was pretty funny, but very crude and was banned (rightfully.) I just thought it would be funny if you were him/her. My bad-

other things you can do to save money are to downgrade your cable/internet/ cell phone services.

i don't have a home phone--i only use my cell phone and i'm on a family plan--less than $20 a month which includes texting.

my cable company offers a basic plan (about 70 channels, less than $15 a month) or digital plans (about $60+ a month)

the thing that is driving me absolutely insane right now are gas prices. i think they are gonna hit $3.50 a gallon here. um that's $7 for TWO FRICKIN GALLONS OF GAS! where is that gonna get me? ARRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Maybe people are remembering the most classic of SDN trolls. But you may be the first legit user to use the avatar :)

I found a great way to save money on electricity is to get an electronic programmable AC/Heat thermometer. You can program them to go off when you leave for school/work then turn on to cool/heat your home an hour or so before you get home. This cuts electric bills in half usually, well, at least here in the south where it gets freakin' insanely hot from May-Sept.

Also, another great way to cut costs is to use the bus/rail system in your city. I know that my college worked out a deal that the students ride for free, so I just bike to the bus stop (like 1 or 2 miles away from the apartment) and ride it right to the MS1 classroom. Such a great deal!

other things you can do to save money are to downgrade your cable/internet/ cell phone services.

i don't have a home phone--i only use my cell phone and i'm on a family plan--less than $20 a month which includes texting.

my cable company offers a basic plan (about 70 channels, less than $15 a month) or digital plans (about $60+ a month)

the thing that is driving me absolutely insane right now are gas prices. i think they are gonna hit $3.50 a gallon here. um that's $7 for TWO FRICKIN GALLONS OF GAS! where is that gonna get me? ARRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!:mad::mad:
Hehe, I just got on my sister's family share plan...$10/month and I don't need texting...especially not for another $10! Basic cable is cool if you can get some major channels (like ESPN, discovery, etc.). However, over-the-air digital standard def and HDTV is completely free, and you can still get all the big channels ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. It's not like the OTA reception of the past...I'm talking 100% clear, digital picture and sound. If you don't have a TV with a digital tuner pick up a coupon from Uncle Sam >).

I usually make my own lunches but I am not too cheap about it. I make sure to use high-quality ingredients. This ends up costing me more than if I used crap like bologna and wonder bread etc, but is still much less than buying lunch. I actually think the sandwiches I make are as good or better than what youd buy at a retail sandwich store such as jimmy johns.

As for coffee, you can get a $15 Senseo machine at the Share Senseo web site if you answer questions "correctly." When you get your machine, don't buy pods. Instead, make you own pods at home from ordinary coffee filters and finely ground coffee (espresso grind?) using instructions found on the web.

Find opportunities to eat free lunch and dinner at school

Shop at Big Lots, Aldi, and Costco/Sam's Club (Walmart tends to have better prices than the supermarket as well)

I am going to RENOUNCE TV and but DSL internet.
DSL won't be bad because I may be spending more time in college library.
Use my internet to listen music and watch TV.
Download LIVE TV toolbar to watch legal freee tv.
channels like FOX post video of shows.