tiny renal infarct, normal renal function, no evidence of clotting, anticoagulation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
abd pain, CT A/P picks up a tiny renal infarct, completely normal renal function, good UOP (has a distant history of stones, but non currently...UA totally clean). Would you put him on anticoagulation? (no other evidence of any other clotting process, D-Dimer negative).

Members don't see this ad.

abd pain, CT A/P picks up a tiny renal infarct, completely normal renal function, good UOP (has a distant history of stones, but non currently...UA totally clean). Would you put him on anticoagulation? (no other evidence of any other clotting process, D-Dimer negative).

In my mind this raises the question if a fib is present. Why did this happen?

Personally I'd send to cards for 30 day monitor no different than stroke and I would do anticoag workup if kidney function is normal.

How did you get insurance to approve a CT A/P with contrast? They almost always decline it for me without an ultrasound first or just a CT without contrast.

Reactions: 1 user
In my mind this raises the question if a fib is present. Why did this happen?

Personally I'd send to cards for 30 day monitor no different than stroke and I would do anticoag workup if kidney function is normal.

How did you get insurance to approve a CT A/P with contrast? They almost always decline it for me without an ultrasound first or just a CT without contrast.
CT was done in the ER, of course.

its a young kid (early 20s), no h/o cardiac pathology, stone normal EKG, no h/o palpitations. I think the anticoagulation is a little aggressive. Doesn't the negtive D-dimer give some reassurance? Also cant tiny infarcts occur in the kidney randomly, unrelated to a clotting process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. someone else was suggesting it. thanks for the sanity check.

plus just because it appears like a renal infarct on CT doesn’t mean it’s a renal infarct

if he has something weird actually going on it’s going to need to declare itself further

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure not APS given age

Reactions: 1 users